Stewards had a clipboard on cart clearly showing who had not paid tips

picklebongo

Oh...I think I may have made a boo boo. I have the Carnival MC and used my points to cover tips for my mom and I on our upcoming cruise. It was a better value than just getting OBC with my points. I hope CCL will actually pay those tips to the staff and that I won't be on some list. I wish I had just got the OBC insead. I don't want my steward or dining room staff to think I stiffed them. I always tip a little extra too....so at least they'll have that.

When you "ding" you card getting on the first day, the tips for the cruise are added... they are added to the card used to set up the account. As for someone getting a letter about not paying the tips... IF you use cash they do not deduct tips until the end of the cruise, so if you have nothing left on the card they can't pay the tips...

I didn't post this with the intent of starting a thread on whether or not people should tip or how much, I was just stating a fact that this list exist. It was a computer generated list of all the cabins served by the stewards, with full names, cabin numbers and there was a section for tips that had a plus or minus and on the side of some folks, it was handwritten "gratuties removed". I don't know why this was written on the side, but it was.

The paper was on a clipboard, hanging on the back of the cart, not easily visible, but I saw it in passing, did a double take, went back for a closer look and tried to get a photo. I couldn't get my camera to take a closeup shot.

I saw a similar list on another cart in the same hallway.

I might be mistaken, but I think the daily service charge is added once a day to your sail and sign account. :confused:

2ND day the entire amount was on our S & S this past January on the Freedom. Believe it was the same last year.

I didn't post this with the intent of starting a thread on whether or not people should tip or how much, I was just stating a fact that this list exist. It was a computer generated list of all the cabins served by the stewards, with full names, cabin numbers and there was a section for tips that had a plus or minus and on the side of some folks, it was handwritten "gratuties removed". I don't know why this was written on the side, but it was.

The paper was on a clipboard, hanging on the back of the cart, not easily visible, but I saw it in passing, did a double take, went back for a closer look and tried to get a photo. I couldn't get my camera to take a closeup shot.

And you think it is OK to look at a list generated for the steward not you.

Would you like for someone to pull your S&S from your cabin mailbox and check your charges.

IMO it was not your business.

So the tip part was just a column on the list of the passenger names...well, that changes things a bit. So for people that thought the stewards were just carrying around a list and that it was unprofessional, that is not the case, this is just on the list of the staterooms that stewards have. How do you think they call you by name everyday without a list to refer to?

I don't care that you/she looked. I care about the fact that the list is generated to begin with. It's incredibly innapropriate. I would take the list and go to the front desk regarding privacy laws when you are technically outside of the US.

Would you like for someone to pull your S&S from your cabin mailbox and check your charges.

Huh? The poster did not go "looking" for it, saw it and was amazed...

Pickle, you've been around here long enough to know what ANY thread with the mere mention of tipping will stir.;) It's almost like a broken record, LOL.

I'm afraid my wandering eyes would have taken me there as well. I certainly wouldn't have gone out of my way to look, but if something is our in plain sight, I might have to check it out.:D

I don't care that you/she looked. I care about the fact that the list is generated to begin with. It's incredibly innapropriate. I would take the list and go to the front desk regarding privacy laws when you are technically outside of the US.

And it was a list of all of the passengers and their cabin numbers and just happen to have this as a column...it was like a manifest for the steward to know who is in what room and they do this so they can address you by name when they see you.

They did not GENERATE a list of those that didn't tip, it was just written next to some of the names...and maybe the steward wrote it on there because people tipped him in cash up front, and he wanted to make a note of that...we don't know WHY it was there nor should we care. Privacy laws? Really? It is the list of names and who is in what cabin, it is not your DOB and SS and address...

being you're asking, i will be doing it so I can direct the daily $2 per day per person to the people i wish it to go to. if i can ever find i can do that through auto tip, i will be doing it that way.

else, i will be giving my tips directly to the people that serve me.

You can't tell guest services to remove that $2? You have to pay all or nothing?

I like automatic tipping, but there are some issues with it, such as the entertainment staff getting tipped and getting charged for MDR service if you use the specialty restaurants - effectively double tipping.

And it was a list of all of the passengers and their cabin numbers and just happen to have this as a column...it was like a manifest for the steward to know who is in what room and they do this so they can address you by name when they see you.

They did not GENERATE a list of those that didn't tip, it was just written next to some of the names...and maybe the steward wrote it on there because people tipped him in cash up front, and he wanted to make a note of that...we don't know WHY it was there nor should we care. Privacy laws? Really? It is the list of names and who is in what cabin, it is not your DOB and SS and address...

In the US, having your name and room number on a hospital chart violates privacy laws if it is in plain sight...

If I saw the list, I would consider it incredibly unprofesional and would probably at least remove the tips. Thanks for letting me know what I should or shouldn't care about though...

The servers are only paid very little by Carnival, they only get paid like 50 cents an hour (and they work 12+ hours a day, 7 days a week). They survive on their tips (I believe the same is for the stewards with the none existent pay and long hours). A good server/steward can make $5000+ a month in tips, but still only get like $180 a month from Carnival. Carnival is registered out of the United States for these reasons, so they don't have to pay the wages required by the US and can keep the cost of the cruise low for the customers. Those of you that complain about tipping your servers and stewards are usually the same people that complain that the "quality" of the guests are trash. It's amazing how some people think - I'd love to see those of you tip complainers work the hours these people do. :(

Carnival couldn't register their ships in the U.S. if the wanted to. The ships have to be built here in the U.S. to be registered here.

Oh...I think I may have made a boo boo. I have the Carnival MC and used my points to cover tips for my mom and I on our upcoming cruise. It was a better value than just getting OBC with my points. I hope CCL will actually pay those tips to the staff and that I won't be on some list. I wish I had just got the OBC insead. I don't want my steward or dining room staff to think I stiffed them. I always tip a little extra too....so at least they'll have that.

Don't let these post get you upset. If you prepaid your tips the stewards/waiters will get it.

Why would Carnival not give it to them. How long do you think people would work on the ship if Carnival kept their money?

Would you keep going to work if you didn't get paid?

Bill

This is the wrong way to look at it.

When people remove their tips, the crew get reprimanded for it.

If some cheapazz got me reprimaded, I'd want to know who it was. It's only fair to the steward to know who removed tips.

If you go to to CS desk to do this, they will ask you why you are removing them. If I was the cabin steward I'd want to know who and why as well.

Put yourself in the position of the worker...would you be able to just accept that a certain number of people took away some of your income without wondering who and why??

If people think you aren't doing your job properly, this enables you to do it better...or if you are doing your job properly and someone just 'doesn't believe in tipping', at least you know that you are doing oK and it was just their choice and was no refelction on you.

Also, some of the crew like to thank people at the end of the cruise, how embarassing would it be to thank people who removed the tips?

I don't understand why people don't at least try to put themselves in someone else's shoes before making judgements.

Oh and Firefly, I'd have looked too....it would be too tempting not to.

I'm not saying it's right, but I'm admitting being human and curious....

OK not many know or even think about this BUT your automatic tip at the bar is "voluntary"... You can remove... I did it ONCE when a very rude, extremely dumb bartender first double billed me (tried to get me to sign with his hand over the amount - like he was holding it down for me), then stated that I had already drank the "extra" beer.. finally agreeing I had not after I insisted seeing the "manager". I told him I wanted to remove the tip, he stared at me and then finally gave me another printed slip with correct charge and a line to "add" my own tip... which was nothing. The only time I did it but it goes to show that they are "voluntary".

I get it. I've been a server for years. But I would assume at the higher end establishments that I worked at that if I wrote on my book, how much each table tipped and allowed other tables to see it, I would at least get reprimanded if not fired. If the back of my book says "table 4 tipped $6" and we know the check was $100, and it's obvious to everyone who table 4 is...is just unprofessonal. If the person in front of me checking out at Cracker Barrel leaves $2, and I see them checking out, fine. Who cares. But if I can see at my restarurant at the Hyatt that the server has written down that the table stiffed her and I can SEE it written on her book out in the open, I would seriously wonder about the establishment. I picture people getting out of the cab at the pier in Miami and the cab driver getting out, getting their bags, and letting everyone standing around them know that THESE people tipped $1. The bartender specifically saying that you have not tipped above the auto grat the entire cruise out loud in front of other people. Getting off your expensive shore excursion at the first stop and the bus driver saying in front of everyone that Jane, Joe, and Jimmy haven't tipped the driver yet.

I get it. I've been a server for years. But I would assume at the higher end establishments that I worked at that if I wrote on my book, how much each table tipped and allowed other tables to see it, I would at least get reprimanded if not fired. If the back of my book says "table 4 tipped $6" and we know the check was $100, and it's obvious to everyone who table 4 is...is just unprofessonal. If the person in front of me checking out at Cracker Barrel leaves $2, and I see them checking out, fine. Who cares. But if I can see at my restarurant at the Hyatt that the server has written down that the table stiffed her and I can SEE it written on her book out in the open, I would seriously wonder about the establishment. I picture people getting out of the cab at the pier in Miami and the cab driver getting out, getting their bags, and letting everyone standing around them know that THESE people tipped $1. The bartender specifically saying that you have not tipped above the auto grat the entire cruise out loud in front of other people. Getting off your expensive shore excursion at the first stop and the bus driver saying in front of everyone that Jane, Joe, and Jimmy haven't tipped the driver yet.

there is a huge difference here.

What if you are a restaurant waiter and tips go trhough your boss and when people don't want to tip, they have to remove the tip and tell your boss why??

Tips in a restaurant are between the waiter and the customer and the waiter KNOWS who tips him and who doesn't.

Shouldn't the cabin steward also know who tips him and who doesn't???

Apples and oranges here.

This is the wrong way to look at it.

When people remove their tips, the crew get reprimanded for it.

If some cheapazz got me reprimaded, I'd want to know who it was. It's only fair to the steward to know who removed tips.

If you go to to CS desk to do this, they will ask you why you are removing them. If I was the cabin steward I'd want to know who and why as well.

Put yourself in the position of the worker...would you be able to just accept that a certain number of people took away some of your income without wondering who and why??

If people think you aren't doing your job properly, this enables you to do it better...or if you are doing your job properly and someone just 'doesn't believe in tipping', at least you know that you are doing oK and it was just their choice and was no refelction on you.

Also, some of the crew like to thank people at the end of the cruise, how embarassing would it be to thank people who removed the tips?

I don't understand why people don't at least try to put themselves in someone else's shoes before making judgements.

Oh and Firefly, I'd have looked too....it would be too tempting not to.

I'm not saying it's right, but I'm admitting being human and curious....

This is kind of my point. If they have to say why they are removing tips, that should be enough for the steward. Why shouldn't they thank you for sailing regardless? If it wasn't for people sailing in general they wouldn't have a job. They should be tipped, they should be tipped fairly, they should get paid more to begin with yadda yadda yadda. But if they would change their service based on tips, and make it obvious that they are possibly doing so based on this "list" that in no way shows if they will be getting a cash tip or not, I have a problem with that. You don't prepay tips at a fine dining establishment. But if someone in your party didn't tip at the end of the meal...at a place you paid $200 each, would you be okay if no one came and cleared their plates? No one helped the women with their jackets but everyone else did? The poor tippers water didn't get refilled? No, it would be innapropriate and I would complain to management for sure.

You have posted you always remove tips,.. so now you got a convenient excuse.

Own it as one of the above posters said .. dont give excuses for removing tips. you said you were already removing it .. before this. Excuses dont cut it with me.

Carnival should call it a service charge the way NCL does

Firefly, I love your posts!

Always knowledgeable, courteous, straight forward!

You can't tell guest services to remove that $2? You have to pay all or nothing?

I like automatic tipping, but there are some issues with it, such as the entertainment staff getting tipped and getting charged for MDR service if you use the specialty restaurants - effectively double tipping.

its not double tipping. tips cover your breakfast and lunch too.

I think they SHOULD know who tipped them or not. I don't think *I* should know who tipped them or not. And I think if all they care about is name/number/tips then maybe my personal attentive relationship with mine may not be what i thought it was.

I'm amazed at how quickly people jump in to "complain" about something with no facts, and really doesn't affect them.

I have seen clipboard that stewards used to track rooms cleaned, perhaps the op was confused by the list they saw. They also have clipboard with any special needs for the room. If there is a list of who tipped that's great they know I've thought enough of them and the service they provide to compensate them for their effort.

not to worry...

We have prepaid our tips for years and every penny goes to the crew that work for hard for this salary.

Archived