Stewards had a clipboard on cart clearly showing who had not paid tips

picklebongo

Tips are added in one lump sum, at the beginning of your cruise as I recall. I have been prepaying my tips on my past few cruises. That way, if by chance I am on a tight budget, they are already taken care of! I don't understand why people choose to remove tips and then say they are going to give a cash tip. What difference does it make?

It makes a difference. Tips go to the behind the scenes people that make the front line people look good by providing them with the necessary stuff!!

It makes a difference. Tips go to the behind the scenes people that make the front line people look good by providing them with the necessary stuff!!

all behind the scene people draw full salaries. only service personel are "underpaid" and rely on tips for salary.

its not double tipping. tips cover your breakfast and lunch too.

And if one can afford the luxury of fine dining at $30 a meal, as well as the cruise price, they can afford a DR staff tip. It's still part of the cruise. I'm sure they eat more than once a day!!

A few years back we did the behind the fun tour and while "down below" where we normally never go we did indeed see a list posted. Can't remember exactly where,,,,BUT IT WAS THERE. Nothing else on the list except for the Non-Tippers!

A few years back we did the behind the fun tour and while "down below" where we normally never go we did indeed see a list posted. Can't remember exactly where,,,,BUT IT WAS THERE. Nothing else on the list except for the Non-Tippers!

Yup. A few years ago someone on another board saw exactly the same thing. He even took a picture of it and published the list here on CC. The mods did remove the picture.

Anyone who is unhappy about being on these lists should just enable their auto tip. There are countless cruise staff behind the scenes that deserve those tips. For example everyone who cleans the ship while you're sleeping. The steward's crew that clean the rooms and hallways. The cooks and servers who manage your meals and set out the buffet. When you take that from them management wants to know who has done this and why they decided to do it. If you wish to give specific tips to people that go above and beyond then do it, but don't disregard all the other people doing their job so you can do whatever you want on the cruise. From what I've read in the past, everyone that is a staff member is aware of who turned off automatic tipping because of listed postings.

The steward might have had the list because he wanted to check with people who had discontinued the auto tip, to see if they were dissatisfied with his service. It could be anything. For those of you who are upset by this, well the rest of us find it funny, and are happy to give...what is it? $50? or something like that for a five day cruise. I am 22, and I've been on two cruises so far. On each one i paid for my own auto tips, as well as whatever extra i felt was necessary. It makes me proud to be able to do this, and i don't see why other people can't.

As one who always pays the tips plus give extra I do not care about this list. I have let my family know the people on those ships work hard and do double duty plus work weeks on end. I told my son lets see how your work habits and how you would greet people after working 10 - 15 days straight pulling double duty etc. They work hard so I think Carnival should stop the option of removing tips.

What he said!:D

In the US, having your name and room number on a hospital chart violates privacy laws if it is in plain sight...

If I saw the list, I would consider it incredibly unprofesional and would probably at least remove the tips. Thanks for letting me know what I should or shouldn't care about though...

Not in the us when on a cruise.. Its not a american flagged ship SO your point of violating privacy laws is shot down..

Some of you are wearing me out...so much energy being placed on tipping. Makes me wonder if anyone goes out to a restaurant without analyzing tipping procedures. Just leave the auto-tips on and forget about it! This isn't rocket science!

not on carnival. there is NO pooling.*

* does not apply to ytd. i haven't figured that one out yet.

R u sure? I know most resturants even have to give a tip out at the end of the night for the hostess and other non wait staff to get at part of.. Carnival prolly does pooling

Anyone who is unhappy about being on these lists should just enable their auto tip. There are countless cruise staff behind the scenes that deserve those tips. For example everyone who cleans the ship while you're sleeping. The steward's crew that clean the rooms and hallways. The cooks and servers who manage your meals and set out the buffet. When you take that from them management wants to know who has done this and why they decided to do it. If you wish to give specific tips to people that go above and beyond then do it, but don't disregard all the other people doing their job so you can do whatever you want on the cruise. From what I've read in the past, everyone that is a staff member is aware of who turned off automatic tipping because of listed postings.

The steward might have had the list because he wanted to check with people who had discontinued the auto tip, to see if they were dissatisfied with his service. It could be anything. For those of you who are upset by this, well the rest of us find it funny, and are happy to give...what is it? $50? or something like that for a five day cruise. I am 22, and I've been on two cruises so far. On each one i paid for my own auto tips, as well as whatever extra i felt was necessary. It makes me proud to be able to do this, and i don't see why other people can't.

Exactly. Some are trying to save a buck. Yes, tipping adds to your account, but it sure makes it easier on us. Those people deserve those tips to add to their salary. There is so much going on on a ship that we just take for granted, not thinking how they've provided us ammenities.

I think Carnival should stop the option of removing tips.
If they did, they'd need to stop calling them "tips". They could call it a service charge, or a VAT (value added tax), or whatever, but gratuities are by definition voluntarily given.

Before anybody picks up their flamethrowers, we leave the auto-tips in place ($11 per, on our last cruise) plus give additional gratuities to those we feel deserve more. Our steward and our favorite bartender & waitress (in the cigar lounge) all got extra. Our MDR servers didn't deserve what they got, but we didn't want to risk shorting anybody else on the food service side by fooling with the pre-paids.

you are mistaken. it is added in one lump sum.

on each of my most recent cruises, disney, princess and 2 carnival...it was added daily, and I still have the print out showing the charges from my 2011 cruise on the Glory...11.00 per person added each day...

on each of my most recent cruises, disney, princess and 2 carnival...it was added daily, and I still have the print out showing the charges from my 2011 cruise on the Glory...11.00 per person added each day...

I also have my print out from my charges on my 2011 cruise on the Dream. Here is what it says (there were three of us in our cabin):

12/11/2011 10:00 PM Service Gratuity (receipt # given) (folio # given) $80.50

12/11/2011 10:16 PM Service Gratuity (receipt # given) (folio # given) $80.50

12/11/2011 10:18 PM Service Gratuity (receipt # given) (folio # given) $80.50

Our cruise was 12/10/2011 by the way.

I might be mistaken, but I think the daily service charge is added once a day to your sail and sign account. :confused:
You are mistaken. They are charged in full on the first or second day.

I didn't post this with the intent of starting a thread on whether or not people should tip or how much, I was just stating a fact that this list exist. It was a computer generated list of all the cabins served by the stewards, with full names, cabin numbers and there was a section for tips that had a plus or minus and on the side of some folks, it was handwritten "gratuties removed". I don't know why this was written on the side, but it was.

The paper was on a clipboard, hanging on the back of the cart, not easily visible, but I saw it in passing, did a double take, went back for a closer look and tried to get a photo. I couldn't get my camera to take a closeup shot.

I saw a similar list on another cart in the same hallway.

Cabin staff are only allowed to keep tips over and above the Auto tips.

The list is to advise each steward of the personal tips they are "not allowed" to keep.

It is not so the steward can treat each person in any different way because of lack of tips.

If a cruiser removes Auto tips and chooses to tip individuals instead,the individual tips must be pooled until it reaches the Auto tip amount,it is in their contract.

Failing to declare personal tips from a cruiser who has removed Auto tips can lead to dismissal if caught.

This was told to me by a cabin steward after I once removed my Auto tips because of an unpleasant event onboard.I decided to tip individuals at the end of the cruise.

I have no reason to disbelieve him and he no reason to tell me other than he must have had to pool my tip.

I live in Australia where people are always talking about the removal of tips because on a whole tips are not common place.

Many seasoned cruisers always tip but a few dislike auto tips and tip individuals.

I have always liked Auto tips and think it is a fair way of distributing those tips.

P&O Australia which is part of Carnival did away with Auto tips because so many removed the tips at the end of the cruise. The tip costs went on top of onboard items ie drinks.

Ask a Cabin steward,I am sure the list on Carnival would be the same (but not quite as long:D) as the P&O lists because its the same company.

Den

Ok, I am now confused. I have chosen Pre-paid gratuities for my upcoming cruise. What is the daily $2 auto-tip that is being discussed? Is this in addition to my pre-paid gratuities or is this just for people who did not choose pre-paid? Sorry, I'm a newbie around here and my first cruise will be in October.

Ok, I am now confused. I have chosen Pre-paid gratuities for my upcoming cruise. What is the daily $2 auto-tip that is being discussed? Is this in addition to my pre-paid gratuities or is this just for people who did not choose pre-paid? Sorry, I'm a newbie around here and my first cruise will be in October.

You are fine. They are just arguing. Your pd. up. The only tips you will be charged are on the drinks you order. They add that to each drink.

Archived