Trying to Nail Down Skagway & KetchiKan

quickfingers

I am trying to nail down excurions in Skagway and KetchiKan.

I am open to suggestions :rolleyes:. My family would like something adventurous. We are going on the glacier/dog sled tour in Juneau.

We are thinking about the White Pass RR in Skagway :D.

A float plane tour in Ketchikan, maybe. The question is which float plane tour and with which company?

I am still trying to get Bruce at True Alaska to get me on a boat on Aug 10th :confused:.

Alaskdude - you available after a day of fishing on the 10th to get together :cool:? I think it might be interesting for my wife and daughters to meet someone who lives in Alaska ;).

Everyone seems like like the White Pass RR, but I don't think it qualifies as adventurous. What you could do is ferry over to Haines and do some rafting. That's more adventurous than the choo choo train, but it's not whitewater.

Speaking of Skagway and adventure, I really want to do some kayaking, and Skagway is the only port where we will have enough time. Anyone know of a place that will provide that type of activity? The only one I've seen takes you to Haines.

There is no ocean kayaking in Skagway. Although there is kayaking on a lake north of town, it has not been reviewed in a positive way here (not surprising - a small barren lake just cannot compete with the sea).

Murray

The coast at Haines is beautiful, no question about that. I don't recall seeing any comments about this excursion, but I'm put off by the fact that you only get to spend about an hour and a half on the water - http://seakayaks.com/DeishuExpeditions/KayakTrips/WildernessITINERARY.html (I'm excursion-shopping for my own cruise now). The fast-cat trip to Haines is fabulous!

Murray

Hey Murray,

That's been exactly my thought. The excursion is six hours, with only a short time in the kayak. But if the trip to and from Haines is good in itself, that could be enough to tip the scale in its favor. Hmmm.

Kerry

Hey Murray,

That's been exactly my thought. The excursion is six hours, with only a short time in the kayak. But if the trip to and from Haines is good in itself, that could be enough to tip the scale in its favor. Hmmm.

Kerry

Understand- this is the same route your cruise ship is also taking, especially if you have a daylight arrival/departure. It is just excellent sailing, consider being out on deck. :)

BQ

Is that the Lynn Fjord that you're referring to? The ships come through that to get to Skagway? Departure viewing is likely at 8:15pm, but I might not be up for a 5:30am arrival. Thanks for the tip. Lotsa newbie questions here.

Kerry

>>Is that the Lynn Fjord that you're referring to? The ships come through that to get to Skagway? <<

That's right - Skagway is at the north end of Lynn Canal and Haines is in a side bay a bit south.

Murray

We did Alaska last year and it was wonderful. We also did the helicopter/dogsled in Juneau and it was the highlight of our trip. I enjoyed the view over all the glaciers so much and I'm a dog lover. In Skagway we took the bus up to the Yukon and the train back and it was great. Not really adventurous, but the scenes and the history were great. It is incredible when you see what people endured. We did the float plane landing in Ketichan with Island Wings because of the recommendations on this board. It was wonderful and she is a great pilot and guide. We even got a Christmas card from her this year. Wait until you get here to get pictures of the bald eagles. They are everywhere. Whatever you choose will probably be wonderful because Alaska is so beautiful and different from the states. We are going to the Baltic this summer, but plan to return to Alaska next year.

I've been considering a rental car in Skagway so that we can drive to Carcross (with Murray's explore north mielage report) and Emerald Lake. I was wondering if it is possible to drive to the Summit and Liarsville? I keep reading about all these excursions that sound fabulous, but costly, and thought we could do more with a car on our own. Advice, please.

I've been considering a rental car in Skagway so that we can drive to Carcross (with Murray's explore north mielage report) and Emerald Lake. I was wondering if it is possible to drive to the Summit and Liarsville? I keep reading about all these excursions that sound fabulous, but costly, and thought we could do more with a car on our own. Advice, please.

You used to be able to just drive up to Liarsville, but with changes and ship contracts possible, inquire directly? The Klondike Highway goes over the summit. As you are finding out- Alaska has just excellent tour offerings and is never a one time trip. :) If your car rental plans are an option- I would book a car NOW. With all the Alaska visitors, they are in short supply.

Thanks Murray, I called and there was one available only to find out the the Canadian Government will not let Canadians drive over the border with a rental vehicle! Unfortunately there is no American driver in our group. We really wanted to follow your map to Emerald Lake.

Mackenzie,

How unfair! And what is Canada's reason for this? We are renting a car and there is no problem for us (we are from VA). We are really looking forward to returning to the Yukon and at our own pace this year. Since you can't rent a car you should either take the motorcoach tour or the motorcoach/train tour. It is spectacular.

I'm caught by this stupidity, too, mackenzie. Cathy & I wanted to go home during our 13 hours in Skagway, but unless we drop one of our own trucks in Skagway before the cruise, we can't do it, as we can't rent.

Murray

Thanks Murray, I called and there was one available only to find out the the Canadian Government will not let Canadians drive over the border with a rental vehicle! Unfortunately there is no American driver in our group. We really wanted to follow your map to Emerald Lake.

Try to hook up with someone perhaps? Go to your roll call board on your sailing, maybe there is someone going, that would split the costs with you?

Archived