Is the Caribbean Princess really as "bad" as all the reviews make it out to be??

CariBear

I am just wondering if anyone has any positive things to say about their experience on the Caribbean Princess? I read a couple of the reviews and most are pretty negative.

Here is my situation:

My husband and I are in our mid-30's and we have a soon to be 3 year old that will be cruising with us. We are currently booked on RCCL Mariner of the Seas. Grandma and Grandpa are booked on the Caribbean Princess. We are thinking of cancelling our cruise and joining Grandma and Grandpa on their cruise. They originally wanted us to cruise with them, but I thought RCCL's kids program would be better for the little one, plus we have sailed RCCL Adventure of the Seas and love the large ships...and I had read all the negative reviews of the Caribbean Princess....which kind of turned me off to this ship.

With all that being said, now we are thinking of switching to Princess. This way my husband and I are guaranteed at least 1 night to ourselves while the grandparents watch our little one, in addition to the quality time we can all spend together. If our 3 year old does not attend the kids program (because she might not be potty trained by then or she does not want to go), then at least we will have relatives on the ship to help us out. Like I stated earlier, the grandparents do want us to go with them and even stated we could have a night or two "out" during the cruise.

Just unsure what to think about all of the negative posts in regard to this ship. I know any cruise is what you make of it....so that really depends on the cruiser. I looked at some of the Patters and there doesn't seem to be that many activities on sea days. Not that we get very involved.....but knowing that the options are available is a plus.

Can anyone report some happy endings to their past Caribbean Princess cruises?? Any thoughts on my situation??

Thanks so much!

Read Suncat's review. It's hilarious. I actually haven't read any negative reviews yet. A cruise is often about attitude.

Exactly!

If I have learned anything from these boards it's don't believe everything you read,especially the negative ones.It's almost as if no one posts if things are great,you only hear about little problems which should never be the basis of a bad cruise review.:rolleyes:

I would switch to the CP, after we were on her in Feb. It was a totally new ship and it was perfect. We were on the Golden last Feb- it was not the best trip- and the attitudes of people weren't the greatest. The CP- was excellent and going back on her in November with the whole family and booked into the Sapphire Princess in Aug.

I would read several web pages look back a few weeks- months and find a couple of exactly ones. They have the daily patters and menus and the kids programs. That is what sold us. And friends had been on her told me first hand. Go for it, if Grandparents are on board GO!!! Have some time for yourselves!! They will love to watch there grandchild. We saw alot of that on our cruise. Hope this helps.

Jan

What exactly in the reviews bothers you the most? I liked it and after sailing my first RCCL cruise I've decided that Princess is definitely a good fit for me. I'm planning on booking our next cruise on either the Caribbean or the Star. The Caribbean was crowded if that was the negative you're referring to but you can't beat the movies under the stars along with the all you can eat lobster and crab claws in the Carib Cafe! Plus the Personal Choice dining is such a wonderful option if you don't want to be stuck with tablemates that you don't like.

CariBear,

We were on the CP last July. We spent a fair bit of time with Suncat, her husband and two other couples. We had a blast. That being said, none of us were travelling with children. However, there were lots of little ones around and they seemed to be enjoying themselves.

The ship is beautiful, I can't think of anything negative about it. Some people just can't be pleased no matter what.

DH and I enjoyed the Caribbean Princess so much that we are sailing on this fabulous vessel a second time in January, 2006.

The ship was so "grand" that we didn't have the opportunity to do all there was to do and see all there was to see. Almost as soon as we disembarked the ship, we said to each other, "We have to do this again!" We are booked on our second cruise on the magnificent Caribbean Princess so that we can do just that!

Here is the link to a review that I wrote on ePinions: http://www.epinions.com/content_171887332996. I hope you'll find that it is positive enough to assure you that you will love this ship as much as we did.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Not sure of the many negative reviews you are talking about, I believe they are in the minority. Just recently someone has asked about this ship and many replied how much they loved it from everything to ship, service, food, etc. Many have also booked the same ship again.......including myself. Here is a valuable website all dedicated to the Caribbean Princess.

www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com

All negative reviews?? Have you not seen ANY positive?? I agree that bad reviews are the minority and has more to do with attitude than the ship. The ship is absolutely beautiful, the kids program is wonderful (how much better can another cruise lines kids program actually be, especially for a three year old) there is tons to do. Unless you are expecting perfection, Im sure you will have a wonderful cruise on the CB princess.

We loved the Caribbean Princess when we cruised on her last summer. We are also grandparents and our greatest pleasure is cruising with our children and grandchildren. Do it for yourselves and for them. We believe cruising to be the very best family vacation possible. Bon Voyage!

Just wanted to say thanks to all those who have posted :)

I have read a few positive reviews, but I guess the negative ones just stuck out the most. I really do not expect too much on a cruise. Just a relaxing and fun vacation.

I am going to check out the links that were provided for more information on the Caribbean Princess!

Thanks again for all of the positive thoughts!

Its easy to let those few negative reviews make you wonder if you made the right decision. I swore that I would never cruise Carnival because of the perceived reputation. Good friends of ours convinced us to cruise with them on the new Pride several years ago. We reluctantly agreed. Then I starting reading the reviews. It was about 50-50 on good versus bad.

Bottom line - We had a great time! I choose to disregard all negative reviews and enjoy the positive ones while looking foward to our next cruise.

I don't recall any negative reviews recently. I personally am not a huge fan of the ship since it does not meet the some of the standards I have come to expect from Princess, but it is fine for those who want a week-long getaway from the rat race and should compare favorably to similar offerings from other cruise lines. In fact, the ship does have some nice design features. Give it a try. If you like Caribbean Princess, you'll love the rest of the fleet.

Any ship, even the best, will have an off week, and one bad cruise will generate more (and repeated) complaints that make the problems appear larger than they really are.

I'm on the same page as Spongerob. I have not seen many negatives about the Caribbean Princess. We sailed this ship in Feb. and had a good time. We did not like the extra passengers and the crowds in some areas, but it didn't ruin our cruise. We prefer smaller ships and probably would not sail the CB again, but that does not mean we did not have a great time. So, go and give your folks a chance to be happy grandparents! You will have a great time.

We have been on the AOS and EOS from Royal Caribbean. Have also done Grand class Princess Ships like the Grand and Golden. We are in our early 40's and have sailed w/ and w/o our teenager.

The ships and lines are comparable. You would not be disappointed on either. The kids programs are extremely similar and I am sure that your child would enjoy him / herself in either program. There are a couple of differences in the ships but both are very nice and it just boils down to a matter of preference. We like aspects of both ships and lines and would certainly not hesitate to book either.

So go with your instinct....but don't fret about booking the CP. You'll have a great time.

We were on the Caribbean Princess last October with 26 in our party. which included six children & spouses, six grandchildren (3-12) friends and relatives. Our grandchildren had the best time of their lives and each and everyone of them wants to go again....it's now up to their parents to take them.....we paid for all on the first one. A cruise is what you make it, nothing more and nothing less. If there is a problem, give the staff a chance to fix it or live with it.....don't complain to the world later. If you choose to go Princess you will be very, very happy. It is a part of our family.:)

i think one person can have bad cruise, while another person on the same cruise can have a super cruise,and your grandparents wont be around forever,so take the time you have now to be with them:)))),and i think princess has a good childrens program too.so my choice would be to go with grandparents,besides like you said,maybe theyll watch your child, so you and your hubby can have a lil quality time together,hope you have a great cruise enjoy:))))

Archived