Kids Comment

Just off the Serenade and if anyone reads this, I am someone who vigorously defends parents rights to do as they please with their kids and I usually say nothing bothers me on a cruise but I witnessed 2 things that actually did bother me. First, in the fitness center a young kid, I'd guess 9 or 10 (sign says 16) goes on the eliptical while his dad is lifting weights and goes fast enough to fall off and at least minorly injure himself. I'm sure this will be the parent that complains that no one was supervising his son in the fitness center. Second, I saw a mother with a baby, not a new born but very young, holding the baby in the swimming position in the Hot Tub, what are people thinking. No kids basher here at all but come on folks, a little common sense.

We have always cruised with our kids - now 12 & 9 and always was and still are aware of what my kids are doing and the "rules"! I have too witnessed incidents that are just unbelievable - just what are these parents thinking??? Or rather they are not thinking.......:eek:

We have always cruised with our kids - now 12 & 9 and always was and still are aware of what my kids are doing and the "rules"! I have too witnessed incidents that are just unbelievable - just what are these parents thinking??? Or rather they are not thinking.......:eek:

You can't fix stupid.

I totally understand and would be upset too. I agree the baby shouldn't be in the hot tub but not sure if that was what you are upset about or the swim position. I used to teach at a swim school and that position is done alot with babies.

I totally understand and would be upset too. I agree the baby shouldn't be in the hot tub but not sure if that was what you are upset about or the swim position. I used to teach at a swim school and that position is done alot with babies.

Because babies (toddlers) who are not potty trained are not permitted in any pools or hot tubs due to possible ecoli contamination and (albeit they are usually not that hot) hot tubs can be harmful to a baby. So, besides being inconsiderate, that mom was just plain stupid.

Wow as someone said, you can't fix stupid. My kids are 8, 4 and 4 and my 8 year old DD begs to get in the hot tub. I simply tell her, "when you are old enough to pay your own Dr. bills you can get in". As for the kid in the gym, those will be the first parent's to want something for free because their "angel" gets hurt. I admit, I don't watch my kids as closely as I should at times, but on a cruise ship is not one of those times SMDH.

I think there needs to be a rule that if you aren't watching your kid and they are in the whirpool, solarium, baby in the pool, etc. then YOU as a parent are banned from the pool area. That's the thing, people don't care because they know there are no repercussions for their actions, they can just let their kid run around the ship entirely alone and until the kid gets hurt, they don't care. But I am sure if the kid gets hurt they will be throwing a fit blaming everyone else.

First, in the fitness center a young kid, I'd guess 9 or 10 (sign says 16) goes on the eliptical while his dad is lifting weights and goes fast enough to fall off and at least minorly injure himself.

Is it 16 and over PERIOD or 16 and over without adult supervision? Regardless, it still may warrant a comment. To dad just gently letting him know "hey your son is doing some dangerous stuff on the elliptical...you may want to check on him before he gets hurt, because I don't think he knows how it is supposed to work" or "I have a concern that your son is going to get hurt". If dad ignores you, snubs you or acts like a jerk to you, then a tip-off to a nearby crew member may be in order.

I can see if it is permitted for under 16s to use equipment with supervision to let them...but you stay right there and supervise them, not go run off to another area of the fitness center to get your own workout in. My 12 and 7 year old sons use our treadmill at home--with close adult supervision. They are both pretty aware of their limitations and how to use it, but I'd never leave them to just go at it. If they are prohibited by age, then there is still the jogging track.:o

Archived