Renting a motorhome

calliecat

We would like to rent a motorhome in Anchorage and tour on our own.

Does anyone have suggestions or a particular rental company they have used?

We won't be doing this until 2006 but I would like to get my facts together early so I can get the ball rolling.

If you have done this, could you also give me some tips you found out about while travelling as well?

Buy the Milepost. It will have listings of RV rental places to start out with but do alot of comparision as many places don't pay to advertise in it.Do they pick you up at the airport? Is it fully furnished with dishes,linens ect,even things like folding lawn chairs and grills can be available.There are many sizes priced accordingly to choose from. Now is not too early to reserve for next year.I would also suggest stocking up with your food ect in Anc to get lower costs and no sales tax.

I rented from Great Alaskan Holiday. It was better when they included Alaska state park permits, but the company had many great points and was fully furnished. Wasilla is the last grocery heading north until Fairbanks, so as above, be sure to stock up by then. I only consider 24 foot or greater so to have a permanent bed. The 22 foot has to convert the sofa and table. Overall- it was OK, but I found the trip isolating, and I greatly prefer staying in Alaska B&B's, so I don't know if I would rent one again?

Just a note for comparison -- Budget Queen said she would only consider a 24 ft of better for permanent bed, but remember if you've never driven anything that long it is a lot different than driving a car! And the cost of gas increases with the size of the load the engine is pulling, so consider carefully how small you can be comfortable in.

We own a small slide-in camper for a pickup truck, it is OK for 2, but would be miserable for more than that. We have a permanent queen bed above the cab of the truck and a kitchen with refrig, stove, oven, sink, permanent dining nook and a small bathroom with shower - but it is very compact and would not be right for some. It certainly would never do for more than 2, even though the dining nook is supposed to convert to a bed and there are storage cabinets above that are supposed to convert to a bunk.

So, my point is: if you are not an experienced RVer, you need to consider very carefully what size you need and you might want to visit some local dealers to get a feel for what you will need. I think it could make or break the trip.

I've seen some nice deals on Ebay for RV rentals. Towards the August timeframe, they'll rent you the RV for like $150 total; all you have to do is drive it to Seattle in 2 1/2 weeks and pay for the gas. And the ferry ride, if you're thinking what I'm thinking..... ;)

We also used Great Alaskan Holidays last September for our post cruise trip. I did a lot of research on different places and for us, I found that company to be the best value. They included all bedding, towels and kitchen items. They included 2 lawn chairs and a small gas grill. If you needed extra chairs (we did) they are available for a small fee. They also had fishing equipment for rent. All the insurance was included in the fee. Some companies have additional charges for these things, so you need to pay attention to all of that when you are pricing them. Another thing we really liked about renting from Great Alaskan Holidays was that we did not have to clean the motorhome upon return, nor was there a fee for that. They even told us to leave all the food in the fridge etc and they would take care of it. That made it a lot easier at the end of our trip. Any unopened foods that can be donated they will donate to a local food bank.

We rented a 32' with a slide out. There were four of us and there was plenty of room. You wouldn't need one that size if there are only 2 of you.

The motorhome was in excellent condition.

The company shows you a video before you leave on your trip explaining how to use the motorhome that is very helpful if you've never used a motorhome before.

Definitely buy the Milepost before you go. It's invaluable in finding campgrounds, points of interest, even markets and gas stations.

Lori

I've seen some nice deals on Ebay for RV rentals. Towards the August timeframe, they'll rent you the RV for like $150 total; all you have to do is drive it to Seattle in 2 1/2 weeks and pay for the gas. And the ferry ride, if you're thinking what I'm thinking..... ;)

ummm, what are you thinking?

I guess this is a repositioning of the RV's from AK to Seattle?

Thanks everyon for your input. There will be three of us. My husband, teenage son, and me. We won't have a problem driving an RV (or should I say my husband won't have a problem). He drives an extended cab pickup and hauls a boat, trailer, etc behind it. He said if we rent one, it won't be one of the smaller ones, I'm all for comfort and I the whole reason I work is to go on vacation (not to mention that I have to pay bills as well).

This is something we've been thinking about for a while. We've done a couple cruises in Alaska and we really want to see the interior.

I appreciate the info on purchasing groceries. I wish I could put some in my

luggage from home, I know it would be less expensive.

I plan on ordering a Milepost and have already contacted a couple RV places for brochures. I will also use Yukon's link and contact some of those as well.

We leave 5-21 for an RV rental for 9 days and then a 7 day cruise.....we rented with Great Alaskan also, they will pick up at the airport or the hotel they list, which are many....so we plan to do the hotel the first nigth as we get in at 9pm, then go get the RV, they will pick us up.

They also offer you to stay in the RV the night we came in, on the lot.

They have no hidden costs.

I will let you know when I get back....

Gas stations can be far between, even on main highways, and if you do find a roadhouse with gas, the price is often 30 cents per gallon more than in the big cities. Fill up in Palmer, Wasilla, Anchorage, or Kenai, even if you only need 1/4 tank.

Have a great trip!

Gas stations can be far between, even on main highways, and if you do find a roadhouse with gas, the price is often 30 cents per gallon more than in the big cities. Fill up in Palmer, Wasilla, Anchorage, or Kenai, even if you only need 1/4 tank.

Have a great trip!

Great point. :) Another plus for the 24 foot or bigger RV's 50 gal tanks, where some 22 foot may have 35 gal. If at all possible avoid gas purchases between Wasilla and Fairbanks. It also is a small savings if you get a Safeway card. Stop at any Carr's and pick one up.

Archived