Suit Question

hiram

I am sailing soon, and have to purchase a suit for the formal dinner. My question is do the men generally remove their jackets during dinner, or keep them off, or about 1/2 each? The reason I ask this is because I never wear a suit and do not want to spend several hundred dollars for one event. If I can find a nice used suit, that the jacket almost fits (I'm a large guy), just enough to get me to the door and to the table, then I can take it off.

Thank you,

Hiram.

Let me make a suggestion to you if you don't want to purchase a suit for your cruise. Why not rent a tux! This way is less expensive than purchasing a suit that you probably won't ever wear again, and its one less thing to pack.

Here is the web site to rent a tux, my dad does it all the time, and it works out wonderful: http://www.cruiselineformal.com

You simply fill out the form with all your measurements, date of sailing, ship, etc., give your credit card number and your tux will be in your cabin when you arrive and when you leave, you simply leave your tux in your cabin.

Hope this helps, have a great cruise.

I Purchased my DH a brand new tux with shirt and bowtie off e-bay for 79.99. Brand new. Even had to hem the pants, since they come unfinished to fit any length. We have gotten him some wonderful suit jackets from JC Penny's for 49.00. Pair with nice slacks, and your set.

No need to go broke. If you have time watch for sales.;)

Navigator of the Seas

May 7, 2005

Seeing as how the tux rental place didn't have my size... I ended up buying a suit off ebay for under $100, which is pretty good. I'll have to have it taken in a bit in the sleeves and the pants hemmed, but other than that, I feel good about it and I can always use it during a job interview, should I feel the need in the next few weeks.

I've finally committed myself to getting fit, and have been doing a fantastic job.

It's not too bad for $100. At the local big and tall guy shop, the cheapest suit that fit me was over $300. We'll see how this one fits when it comes in. It's gotta fit better than the blazer I've had for 15 years that comes about 8" from buttoning.

Good for you, you are going to look good and you also are going to start doing something to get fit. If you were going to wear that jacket that is 8" from button hole to button, you would have needed one hell of a wide tie!.......................... 23_29_132.gif

Good for you, you are going to look good and you also are going to start doing something to get fit. If you were going to wear that jacket that is 8" from button hole to button, you would have needed one hell of a wide tie/QUOTE]

Yes, I was considering getting something in the T-Shirt Tuxedo department.

I donno... 2 1/2" it leaves only 2 3/4" on either side... perhaps I could wear two ties like they do in Back To the Future II. THAT would have been cool... then if anyone said anything, I could just say I was Marty McFly from the future and go my merry way. Damn, wish I'd thought of that before shelling out $100 for clothes.

Seeing as how the tux rental place didn't have my size... I ended up buying a suit off ebay for under $100, which is pretty good. I'll have to have it taken in a bit in the sleeves and the pants hemmed, but other than that, I feel good about it and I can always use it during a job interview, should I feel the need in the next few weeks.

I've finally committed myself to getting fit, and have been doing a fantastic job.

It's not too bad for $100. At the local big and tall guy shop, the cheapest suit that fit me was over $300. We'll see how this one fits when it comes in. It's gotta fit better than the blazer I've had for 15 years that comes about 8" from buttoning.

Yo Hiram,

Good deal man! With todays economy we must look for the best buy for our bucks. Being financially challenged, I have to scrimp and save for a whole year, just so I can go on an annual cruise. :( If you ever have need for another suit you might consider checking out the local thrift shops or the Salvation Army. I once purchased a perfectly good suit for $4. Laugh if you must, but that suit went to Mexico twice. It is very well traveled. My biggest problem with buying a suit from such a place is the fact that our town has more Bankers and Preachers per capita than any other town in the state. I don't know if I should pass the collection plate or foreclose.:D

Have a great trip and eat a shrimp for me.

Clackey

If you ever have need for another suit you might consider checking out the local thrift shops or the Salvation Army. I once purchased a perfectly good suit for $4.

I actually checked the local Salvation Army stores first. If I'd have been a 42 regular, I'd have been in business. Fantastic $500 suits in perfect condition for $12 each.

I frequent the local thrift shops and salvage stores on a weekly basis to look for stuff to sell on E-bay. I've found some great deals, but not that often. Most of the time I leave empty handed, but it's the hunt that I love. My personal best is finding several Sony 400 disc DVD changers for $175 and selling them for around $300 each. I've bought stuff from Amazon's clearance at 90% off and turned around and sold it for it's normal retail price at a later date on E-bay. I've sold some crap that I couldn't BELIEVE what someone paid for it. I almost felt guilty... almost. $12 Harry Potter castle for $80.

My son loves Thomas the Tank Engine and I buy most all of his toys from the salvage store. $250 Train table for $25... nothing at ALL wrong with it, except no box. playsets and trains for pennies on the dollar.

Salvation Army store is where I go for computers and almost anything I need. I always check there first. BTW, if you give a computer to the salvation army, make sure you format the HD first. you'd be suprised what people leave in their computers... SSN, CC#'s, etc.

I think I'll go buy a really ugly tie from the 60's-70's for formal night.

It's shrimp season already and guys are selling them from the back of their trucks. I've already eaten my share... but the mention makes me want some tonight... maybe I'll get some when I go out later... shrimp and crab boil... mmmmmm

Hiram.

I just bought a Charcoal suit from Kohl's (only a couple of hours ago!) for only $100 for the jacket and only $37.95 for the trousers. Plus, I had a 15% off coupon for the entire purchase and a $50 gift card from a year back as a Christmas gift. It came out to be only about $50! Not bad for a really nice-looking suit. I look really nice in it with a Sage shirt and a black tie with a design (that I can't describe :D ). I think the sale ended today though, so sorry!

-Chris

According to Emily Post (Miss Manners, etc.), a gentleman keeps his jacket on at the dinner table. He is supposed to un-button it while seated and keep it buttoned while standing. However, cruises have become much more relaxed and all about comfort and having fun. So, I say, do whatever makes you feel comfortable. If someone else has a problem with it, too bad ;)

My husband usually keeps his jacket on because he hates the wrinkles in his shirt that inevitably come with wearing a jacket and is somewhat self-conscious about it.

I'm in full support of all the suggestions here! Saving money is always a priority!

One other thing, though: you don't HAVE to go to the restaurant for formal night. I believe all cruises keep the buffet going for those who don't participate.

Happy Sailing!

Until I read this post I didn't even consider the question. We have been on 10 cruises - minimal to extravagant. My husband is always warm and not comfortable at all eating in a jacket. He ALWAYS removes his jacket at dinner. We've never noticed any scornful stares and neither one of even gave the practice a second thought. - Maybe an etiquette faux pas. Our next cruise in June-we'll have to see if he is the only "Jacketless" diner:rolleyes:

Archived