Starting to worry I'm not going to see glaciers!!!

salsagrl75

Yes Star Princess on Sept 9th....1st trip to Alaska, so all will be new and exciting to me nonetheless! =) Thanks for the link. I have not looked at the ships excursions yet. Does anyone know if any local tours are available in Juneau for Tracey Arm? (if that's even possible, I'm not sure) And I'm assuming when the ship is "cruising" Tracey Arm, it doesn't go too far back, which is why they offer a secondary excursion??? Admittedly, we just booked this cruise, so I've not done too much research yet on what to see and where. This is part of the fun for me.....the research and anticipation!

your only choice is to do this excursion. Star Princess don't get into Juneau until 2pm. Tracy Arm cruises all left Juneau in the morning.

We're on the Infinity RT from Seattle on May 18. I consider this our starter cruise to Alaska.

There are kayak and boat tours that go past the Mendenhall glacier, if that appeals.

Mendenhall Glacier ends in a lake. there might be kayak, but I don't believe there's a boat trip.

Thank you for posting! I just booked a cruise that does not go see Glacier Bay either, but does the Tracy Arm Fjord instead. This is our first cruise to Alaska and we will be sailing with Princess in September. After reading some of these boards, I was also concerned, but your post boosted my spirits about my trip again! Thanks!

However, my cruise says we just cruise Tracy Arm w/out stops.....I'm seeing that there are excursions for Tracy Arm.......???? If you don't stop...how would one take an excursion???

Very happy to hear your spirits were boosted!:)

I did not do an excursion to Tracy Arm, we were on the cruise ship (Volendam) and I'm not sure how far it sailed into the fjord, maybe 3/4 of the way (?) and then we turned around because of the ice. It was still wonderful.

The only excursions are from Juneau (as mentioned above). I'm dying to get back there some day. Our cruise this summer doesn't offer the Tracy Arm excursion from Juneau because our ship is not in port long enough (or early enough).

On my 2nd cruise (RT Seattle) neither G Bay nor T Arm were on the itinerary, only Hubbard Glacier, and we could not get close at all. I was with a bunch of 1st time AK cruisers who did not know what they were missing. They still loved AK and the cruise, so much so that my niece had tears in her eyes when we sailed into Juneau. Skagway & Sitka are also gorgeous if either of those are on your itinerary. Ketchikan is cute.

On my Southbound cruise this summer all the highlights will be at the beginning - pre-cruise in Seward, Hubbard & Glacier Bay...so the excitement won't build....but hey, I'm not complaining, all of the inside passage is really magical.

Enjoy your cruise!!:)

. The reason I took this chance is because AB leaves from the same dock the Amsterdam pulls into

IF that is the case, then you are tendering. Adventure Bound, shares the cruiseship tender dock. This is accessable although, can be a long walk from the docked cruiseships.

Thank you for posting! I just booked a cruise that does not go see Glacier Bay either, but does the Tracy Arm Fjord instead. This is our first cruise to Alaska and we will be sailing with Princess in September. After reading some of these boards, I was also concerned, but your post boosted my spirits about my trip again! Thanks!

However, my cruise says we just cruise Tracy Arm w/out stops.....I'm seeing that there are excursions for Tracy Arm.......???? If you don't stop...how would one take an excursion???

There aren't any "excursions" for Tracy Arm, except for a small, superior boat tour. This boat loads DIRECT on/off the cruiseship. It is not unusual for the boat tours to get an extended viewing of the South Sawyer glacier, BUT, it is rare for a cruiseship to do so. Probably only 25% It is NOT due to "ice" (as being "dangerous"), think about, do you really think there is any risk of sailing in ice?? Nope- it's TIME. The cruiseship schedules are tight, and conditions have to be prefect for them to make the full transit. Tracy Arm is all twists and turns, narrow passages, ice slows them down, but they certainly can sail through it.

IF that is the case, then you are tendering. Adventure Bound, shares the cruiseship tender dock. This is accessable although, can be a long walk from the docked cruiseships.

The Amsterdam docks at the Alaska Steam Dock which is the farthest North dock. The Adventure Bound on it's website and by the emails from them departs at the front of the Amsterdam at this dock. The email from them told me to get off the boat and turn left and it will be there. Maybe this year they moved to that dock?

Nobby

You were lucky, won't happen in May..

Mendenhall is beautiful, but there are bears. When we were there we got off a tour bus just as a bear ran across the parking lot a few feet from us. I don't think I would do the hike necessary from the city bus stop. Really check it out. We have been to Alaska 6 times and each time we have seen the glaciers shrink further and further back. Very sad.

If you are doing a plane tour, you will see a lot. Have a wonderful trip.

Damm my visit of all them glaicers was a total bust since I missed any calving...

There are many beautiful things, some clearly more iconic. No single vacation/trip or excursion should be made or lost because of one thing.

One should do their research and fully understand what they are getting as well as what they have probability of seeing or not.

but you can't just sit in front of a glacier for hours watching the wild life while waiting for the glacier to calve. Honestly what's the point of seeing a tidewater glacier if not to see the big chunks of ice falling into the sea and go BOOM?

I guess if given no other choice, a Glacier Bay flight & landing might be it, but I just don't think its worth it.

If I do a flight tour of glacier, I go to Talkeetna, and fly Mt McKinley :) but that's off topic.

Hey there,

So I booked a cruise and the itinerary is as follows:

Departing from Seattle, Washington; Ketchikan, Alaska; Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska; Juneau, Alaska; Skagway, Alaska; Alaska Inside Passage; Victoria, British Columbia; Seattle, Washington

It's all paid and finalized so changing is not an option.

Based on what I have been reading lately I am starting to worry I booked a lemon since I didn't pick one going to Sawyer/Hubbard glacier! Is this true?

I did book a flight tour to taku lodge so we could see some scenery from the air....

Can someone who's done some Ak cruising advise? I am hoping there's still some nice scenery on this cruise and I didn't mess up completely :(

Thanks!

We've gone on two cruises to Alaska .. one did Tracy Arm, the other Misty Fjord. Had a fabulous time, was in awe of all the gorgeous scenery. You can go out to Mendenhal glacier in Juneau.

Our next cruise does include Glacier Bay, can't wait.

Any regrets on past cruises, absolutely not. I'm sure you will have a fantastic time.

Salsagrl75 - Not sure your budget or time, but we just changed our Taku excursion in Juneau from 9:40 to 2:40 in order to have time to take Temsco Helicopters for dog sledding in the morning. Our absolute favorite excursion in Juneau to date is Pilot's Choice - just didn't work this time with Taku excursion but if you can and have time, take a helicopter excursion. That or pick up Temsco from Skagway and enjoy the glacier experience up close and personal :)

For me, I enjoy flying to the glacier and landing better then sailing by on the cruise ship - both are awesome - but landing on one is magnificant.

Either way, don't worry - if you are like us - you'll come back again anyway - this will be our 3rd cruise to Alaska.

Hi - bunnelc - thanks for the suggestion. My mom doesn't like flying so choosing taku was pushing it as is, lol. I figured it was a good compromise of flying so we can see awesome sights but then getting to eat yummy food since we are foodies. But I can't make her do 2 flying excursions cause that would be mean!

Thanks for the reply - I didn't realize I was booking the least scenic option when I booked it, now I feel stupid - but oh well I am sure we will still have fun!

Which port would I book a tracy arm boat tour out of?

And yes sailing may, celebrity.

Thanks

You never know what you will see on a cruise anywhere. Any cruise is a good cruise. Think positive. Pleasant things are ahead.

Actually Tracy Arm is quite scenic - you twist and turn through what appear to be impossible passages - the steep canyon walls rise right out of the water. When we were there in 2002, the captain told us we could not transit to the base of the glacier due to two items - three large icebergs that blocked the inlet and too many baby seals on the floating ice. He did however send the photographer out on the zodiac to take some photos of what we missed - the photos were fantastic (we bought several). The next year we reached the same place and simply turned around - same ship different captain.

Tracy Arm is south and east of Juneau - you sail past the entrance in route. In 02 we did Tracy Arm after Skagway and before Ketchikan on Thursday - there were no options to do a small boat tour. Now if you visit Tracy Arm after Juneau you can do the small boat tour and meet your cruise ship on the way out. You can also take the tour while your ship is in Juneau.

If nothing else you will be able to see Mendenhall Glacier - which does calf into a large lake. There are kayak tours that go up to the face on the lake.

Don't worry, Alaska is way more that glaciers. Enjoy

Archived