Is a tour nescessary in Roatan?

CRUISING71

No, just hired him at the dock (Coxen Hole) and it really worked out well for us.

Took us to West End Village - we then did a dive with West End Divers.

Then he suggested a restaurant for lunch and waited for us to eat. WE then wanted to go to West Bay for some beach time..... he took us to the beach access which is right next to Bananarama and again waited for us. Then back to the ship but stopping at a few places for some scenic pics.

We did this on our first visit to Coxen Hole and loved it. Things have changed since Carnival moved to Mahogany Bay. There the taxis are higher priced. We paid $90 for driver that couldn't speak a word of english.

Mahogany Bay and Coxen Hole are on the East side of the island (windward side) and while MB has a beach -

Mahogany Bay and Coxen Hole are on the Sothside of the Island, Neither is considered East, Coxens Hole is southwest and MB is about mid Island on the South Side

http://www.roataninterest.com/_images/_site/roatan-map.gif

If you look at this map - you are right ........ Sorry

I have always felt that if something is to the right it is EAST and to the left is WEST...... of course that depends on where NORTH is ;)

I stand by my comment that Coxen Hole/Mahogany Bay is on the windward side of the island and the other side is leeward....... much calmer.

As for taxi drivers - Usually when you travel and use a taxi driver in a TOURIST ENVIRONMENT you assume that the driver will speak SOME English. I think that I can pretty much safely say that the locals do not take taxis here so the bulk of their business is tourists....... ours spoke some but not a lot. Luckily I speak enough to get by and my niece is fluent in Spanish.

Usually when you travel and use a taxi driver in a TOURIST ENVIRONMENT you assume that the driver will speak SOME English. I think that I can pretty much safely say that the locals do not take taxis here so the bulk of their business is tourists.

Nope, Wrong again, Think about it, do you think most locals can afford their own cars? The taxis are the main way locals get around, that and the community minibusses. On busy cruise days many locals are put off as they will not pay the prices taxi's want at that time.

In the majority of my travels the local taxi drivers have not spoken english unless it was an english speaking country, the tour guides did, that is one reason they can cost more. Many taxi drivers in the US in big cities do not speak english but of course the US has no official language yet most tour operators in the US will be fluent in various languages.

Cant blame the spanish folks, it is a much more used language worldwide day to day than English

http://www.roataninterest.com/_images/_site/roatan-map.gif

If you look at this map - you are right .

Of course I was right, even without looking at a map, if I was not right I would not have posted. As far as windward and leeward, for the most part you tell it pretty well but we need to remember. While much of the year the North is the leeward side and a bit calmer, when it all comes down, it is the north most affected by storms and the divers and snorkelers from the north head south when storms pass by. Most larger north shops have a place to bring folks on the south when needed, No south shops have needed to do this.

Nope, Wrong again, Think about it, do you think most locals can afford their own cars? The taxis are the main way locals get around, that and the community minibusses. On busy cruise days many locals are put off as they will not pay the prices taxi's want at that time.

In the majority of my travels the local taxi drivers have not spoken english unless it was an english speaking country, the tour guides did, that is one reason they can cost more. Many taxi drivers in the US in big cities do not speak english but of course the US has no official language yet most tour operators in the US will be fluent in various languages.

Cant blame the spanish folks, it is a much more used language worldwide day to day than English

Hmmm here is some food for thought from Wikipedia

Caracoles

The Caracol people are an English-speaking people who have been established in Northern Honduras (specifically, the Bay Islands) since the early 19th century. They are chiefly of European and British-Afro-Caribbean descent. Caracol is Spanish for "conch, snail or shell", and relates the people of the Bay Islands to their unique environment and their sea-faring culture. In its current usage, the term caracol refers to all people born in the Bay Islands region, and their descendants. The term "caracol" has also been deemed offensive by native Islanders and the term is only used by Spanish-speaking "mainland" Hondurans who have a long standing rivalry with native Bay Islanders because of their differences in culture, language, beliefs and ideals. All native islanders regardless of race, creed or color prefer the term "Islanders" when being referred to. The region of the Bay Islands encompasses the three major islands of Roatán, Útila and Guanaja, the Hog Islands as well as the smaller islands or cays. These people are also called "Islanders," especially locally.

English is the first language of all native islanders regardless of race and Spanish is spoken second, whereas mainland Honduras is primarily Spanish speaking. It remains this way because of the islands past as a British colony as well as all islanders being the descendants of the British Isles. With the steady influx of mainland Hondurans migrating to the islands an increase in Spanish has arisen but because of the tourism and cruise ship industry that support the islands, English continues and will remain to be the first spoken and dominant language among all native island peoples. Over time the form of English spoken by the Caracol has changed. The language differs mostly in morphology but also in pronunciation and accent and, to a lesser extent, in syntax and vocabulary, from the English of the other British Caribbean colonies. Evidenced by the usage of the wide variety of old standard English terms and words that are used throughout the islands. They are similar enough to be mutually intelligable and understood throughout the entire Bay Islands. The language can also be learned, although it is not taught in the general sense, whilst the accent derived from the wide variety of expatriates living and working on the Islands from North America and Europe.

[edit]

Of course I was right, even without looking at a map, if I was not right I would not have posted. As far as windward and leeward, for the most part you tell it pretty well but we need to remember. While much of the year the North is the leeward side and a bit calmer, when it all comes down, it is the north most affected by storms and the divers and snorkelers from the north head south when storms pass by. Most larger north shops have a place to bring folks on the south when needed, No south shops have needed to do this.

I will only respond to this by saying that I see you have conveniently left off the "sorry" from my post in this quote. It is somewhat apparent from reading a collection of your posts, that you are of the assumption that you are always right and must let everyone know that fact. I do not come here to argue but to share information and when I am wrong, admit it without a hand-slap from you.

Geez - lighten up.

Hmmm here is some food for thought from Wikipedia

Yep, Native Islanders and Caracoles are Enlish speaking, whats the point, they are also no longer the majority of the Roatan population along with the fact that no matter the cultural background, Spanish is the official language of Honduras, ANY Contract or official documents must be done in spanish or they are meaningless in Honduras Now if someone requested a Caracole taxi driver or Islander Taxi driver I can understand the surprise in themnot speaking English but we must remember that the majority of Taxi drivers are from the Mainland, the Taxi company is based on the mainland, taxi permits are issued on the mainland.

Why would a Honduran Taxi driver speak English? Spanish is the official language

I mention this because some people would have trouble with it. I have spent enough time south of the border to get along just fine.

Do a lot of cruisers visiting foregn third world expect english speaking folks? I thought those were the ones that bought the little pocket translators

You have gotten on my last nerve. I hope we meet the next time I'm on Roatan.

You have gotten on my last nerve. I hope we meet the next time I'm on Roatan.

Whew, I thought it was just me....... I hope I DON'T meet him/her when I am there 3 weeks from today for a week visit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whew, I thought it was just me....... I hope I DON'T meet him/her when I am there 3 weeks from today for a week visit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have an FFL. Call me if you need me.;)

I could write the whole trip off as a business expense.

Okay, so you can hire your own taxi if you choose to go to West Bay Beach - for whatever negociated price - my question is how long of a ride is it? Are there bars/restaurants on West Bay Beach. Do they have lounge chairs/umbrellas/bar service, restrooms, etc.? Think Orient Bay beach St. Maarten.

Any information is very appreciated.

Thanks.

Okay, so you can hire your own taxi if you choose to go to West Bay Beach - for whatever negociated price - my question is how long of a ride is it? Are there bars/restaurants on West Bay Beach. Do they have lounge chairs/umbrellas/bar service, restrooms, etc.? Think Orient Bay beach St. Maarten.

Any information is very appreciated.

Thanks.

Been to Orient Beach ..... wasn't too impressed. West Bay Beach IMO is much cooler. Gorgeous sand, beautiful water, palm trees and other tropicals. There are quite a few bars/restaurants there with chairs/umbrellas/bar service/restrooms etc......

check out this map ....... you can zoom in or zoom out.

(OK won't let me post this link) So try www dot roatanwestbay dot com slash home

Archived