Is a tour nescessary in Roatan?

CRUISING71

If one choose the whole the the island can be seen.

Sure you can catch a cab to the beach but prices are often very high and not regulated. Many people find the combo of seeing the island, having a local to chat with and the ride to the beach worth the effort.

I disagree......

we hired a taxi for the 3 of us for the whole day...... at our beck and call.....

we paid $15.00 per person and we said where, when, how long etc....

he waited while we ate, he waited while we enjoyed the beach, stopped for pics at interesting places etc etc

So, no a tour is not necessary.

But do your homework and research where you want to go ahead of time.

• 4 weeks later...
Texancruiser, did you book the cab ahead of time or just show up that day? We are not sure what we want to do yet, but like the idea of having transport the whole day to go to a couple places.

No, just hired him at the dock (Coxen Hole) and it really worked out well for us.

Took us to West End Village - we then did a dive with West End Divers.

Then he suggested a restaurant for lunch and waited for us to eat. WE then wanted to go to West Bay for some beach time..... he took us to the beach access which is right next to Bananarama and again waited for us. Then back to the ship but stopping at a few places for some scenic pics.

Do your research on a site like for bodden's tours. There you'll see lots of stops they can make to make your day persoanalized. Then decide if you want to use that company or just make a list for a cab driver to follow.

Much depends on what you want to do. If your friends don't like touring, perhaps a stop at West End for shopping and strolling to get the local village feel and then just a day at West Bay Beach where you can enjoy lunch, walk in snorkeling and other water activities.

This site talks about the REAL taxi fares on Roatan, along with other details about the island. http://www.roatanisland.net/cruiseship.htm

Form that web site:

The bus goes to West End from 5:30 AM till 5 PM every 10 minutes for around 30 Lempiras/person!."

The price as of March 2012 from Coxen Hole to West End is 22L. I am not sure how much of that web site you can take for correct information.

Well, I don't know about the REAL taxi prices......but I do know that they will negotiate the price with you for whatever you are looking to do.

Like I said before, we paid $15.00 per persons for pretty much the better part of the day. There were 3 of us so it worked out to $45.00 US dollars.

I disagree......

we hired a taxi for the 3 of us for the whole day...... at our beck and call.....

we paid $15.00 per person and we said where, when, how long etc....

he waited while we ate, he waited while we enjoyed the beach, stopped for pics at interesting places etc etc

So, no a tour is not necessary.

But do your homework and research where you want to go ahead of time.

Did you invite him to join you for lunch? I'm always curious about that. :shrug:

If you don't want the expense or bother of a tour, you can browse the shops at the dock and lounge at the pool. If it's a pretty day, it can be pleasant though we like Grand Turk more.

Did you invite him to join you for lunch? I'm always curious about that. :shrug:

No, we usually will ask a private tour driver to join us - but not taxi drivers.

If you don't want the expense or bother of a tour, you can browse the shops at the dock and lounge at the pool. If it's a pretty day, it can be pleasant though we like Grand Turk more.

While the diving on Grand Turk was really really nice on the wall, we didn't find the island to be much. Flat, scruffy (not tropical) but nice white sandy beaches and blue blue blue water :) But Roatan was like a mini-Costa Rica to me. Small lush mountains and very lush. Diving was phenomenal and beaches really nice too. Cant wait to get back to Roatan !

I would be interested to know why you enjoyed Grand Turk more. I have never been and am always looking for info.

We stopped in Grand Turk a few years back. The cruise center is typical of many with restaurant, pool area, shops etc. Grand Turk has a few places to see but is a small small area. They used to have a hop on hop off bus. Not sure that still runs.

However, the sand and clear water there drew us to Providenciales (in the Caicos islands of "Turks and Caicos" ) for three land vacations. Grace Bay is the most beautiful beach/water we have ever experienced. Nearby Parrot Cay is popular with the "rich and famous". It is not as popular as other areas because of the costs for food and drink. And most places to stay are private villas and condo resorts.

Check out these pics, Guest! Note this isn't Grand Turk. But as nice as West Bay in Roatan is, it can't compare to Grace Bay on Providenciales.

http://www.google.com/search?q=grace+bay+providenciales&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7PRFA_en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=q394T6DjHpGr0AHnyumxDQ&ved=0CH0QsAQ&biw=990&bih=529

We were just there last week and didn't book a tour. We just walked to the beach and sat there all day - we had to pay for the cabana things they offer but otherwise we enjoyed the day just relaxing on the beach.

We were just there last week and didn't book a tour. We just walked to the beach and sat there all day - we had to pay for the cabana things they offer but otherwise we enjoyed the day just relaxing on the beach.

Obviously you were at Mahagony Bay,Carnival's port, not the port at Coxen Hole.

• 1 month later...

We were just in Roatan on May 2 (Mahogany Bay) and went to West Bay beach. I can say that it is beautiful. Whether you take a taxi or tour, you see a little bit of the island on the way there, a taxi driver just may not have the English skills or may choose to remain quiet, whereas a tour driver can give you all the commentary you want. Taxi or tour driver will wait for you at the beach and take you back to the ship before you pay a dime...nice and comforting.

On a previous cruise we stayed at Mahogany Bay beach and it is lovely and free and easy (10-12 minute walk from ship). I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Mahogany Bay again...but this last time and probably next time we will go to West Bay. You have to pay transport, but the beach is nicer, the scenery is nicer, the beer / food is a little cheaper and you get to see a few things on the drive there.

The only thing I would do differently next time going to West Bay for a pure beach day is that instead of booking a flexible island tour, if I just wanted to do West Bay beach and no sightseeing I would save a few bucks and just get a taxi. We probably paid close to twice the price for a tour (over a basic taxi) that we didn't take advantage of because we just stayed at West Bay beach (mayan princess) because it was so perfect.

What is there to do for several 20 somethings on Roatan? I hear it can be dangerous. They don't want to do tours. Any help will be very much appreciated.

there is a fun zipline right at Mahoganey Bay IF that is where you are docking. About $40.00 + tip. NOT dangerous at all since you are not even leaving the Carnival Cruise center port area. You can go to the Mahogany Bay website and get a map of the stores,etc. Since you are only 20, not sure if it is legal for you to drink, but even without partying, you can enjoy Margaritaville's music and have a wonderful (cheap) beach day.

I don't really get the impression that Roatan is dangerous, but maybe Honduras can be.

Have fun!

Since you are only 20, not sure if it is legal for you to drink, but even without partying, you can enjoy Margaritaville's music and have a wonderful (cheap) beach day.

Drinking age is only 18, I think, and they don't card. Our 20 year old DD was with us last week and able to drink at all of the ports (Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Grand Cayman).

Botton Line:

If you dock at Mahogany Bay, you don't need a taxi to get to the beach. If you dock at Coxen Hole, you do.

If you want to go to the great West side beaches/reefs (leeward side)....... you need a taxi.

Mahogany Bay and Coxen Hole are on the East side of the island (windward side) and while MB has a beach - the really great snorkeling and wide beautiful sand beaches (West Bay/Sandy Bay etc) are on the opposite side of the island.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just wondering if there are taxi vans there available as well, I noticed people have been able to get a taxi for $15 per person being 3 people but in my group there will be about 10 of us wanting to go around, so i wonder if we would be able to get a van there on the spot or if I need to arrange it ahead of time

I'm just wondering if there are taxi vans there available as well, I noticed people have been able to get a taxi for $15 per person being 3 people but in my group there will be about 10 of us wanting to go around, so i wonder if we would be able to get a van there on the spot or if I need to arrange it ahead of time

If you want all 10 together you will need to arrange ahead of time and even then there may not be 10 passenger vans to help you

Archived