Lightroom 4

DGNY

Do you thhink it's worth the upgrade?

I've been using the public beta fro a month or so and in my opinion, it's worth the $80 just for the shadow/highlight recovery and white-balance brush.

You can do quite a bit to the images before needing to switch over to PS or Elements.

Dave

I use Photoshop CS5. I actually have LR3 but rarely use it.

I just cannot figure out what LR3 gives me that PS will not, including the adjustments mentioned above.

All my shooting is done in RAW so I use Camera Raw on everything.

I use Photoshop CS5. I actually have LR3 but rarely use it.

I just cannot figure out what LR3 gives me that PS will not, including the adjustments mentioned above.

All my shooting is done in RAW so I use Camera Raw on everything.

Lightroom [and Apple's Aperture] is a different category of software.

Photoshop [and the Gimp, Paint....] are image editor tools. Programs in this category let you adjust parts of images down to the individual pixel level.

Lightroom is a workflow and 'digital asset management' [DAM] program. Programs in this category assist in managing large image portfolios [multiple tiers of storage]. They also have a non-destructive workflow for their adjustments. The master image, plus a chain of adjustments may be used to preview and export images - and the adjustment may be applied to batches of masters to yield batches of output images. This is particularly useful when you have lots of 'raw' images, and want to export them [say to a client's wedding album] applying a consistent adjustment recipe [white balance profile, smoothing profile...]

If an image needs adjustment that cannot be performed inside the DAM program, a pixel level editor [e.g. Photoshop] can be used as a plugin. This creates a new master image, but the DAM program knows that the old master image and the new version are related.

Folks that have made the jump to a DAM system spend their time there [and often less time] dropping into a pixel editor only for a small percentage of their images.

Archived