Emerald stern cabins

Silver sailor

Thinking of booking a standard balcony room on the stern

Only concern is the privacy factor

Assume all the cabins on the stern are "tiered"

However how much "overhang" is there and how much privacy does one have from the decks above

Previously had the massive stern verandas on X "s Infinity

and this was not a concern

Thanks for any information

However how much "overhang" is there and how much privacy does one have from the decks above

I have not stayed in a stern facing balcony, but from what I remember when I sailed, the stern of the Emerald is "angled" in, so I would believe that the privacy of the balconies below would be okay. What I do know is that looking down from the Terrace Pool (from what I remember), no balconies can be seen; or at a very least, not very well.

The stern is not tiered much on the grand class ships. It's usually described as looking like a "shopping cart"-- so very private. The complaint is usually that the balcony often does not get much sun due to the overhang.

There is a big thread on the aft balconies on here with some great photos. Sorry I don't have the link handy, but someone should be along shortly to supply the link.

Hope this helps.

Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=19926774&highlight=b748#post19926774##

The afts of most Princess ships are not tiered. (Only the Pacific, Ocean and new Royal are tiered.) The other aft cabins have totally covered, very private balconies. They are not significantly larger than other balconies (9 x9 - same as all Caribe deck balconies).

This is a photo of the aft of the Diamond - pretty typical for most ships.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c332/flvol77/DiamondPrincessII.jpg?t=1216002174

We've had stern cabins on the Emerald, Crown and Grand and are booked on the Sapphire and Emerald again. We love these cabins! The balconies are twice the normal size for the same category of Stateroom (BB). You can expect four chairs instead mof two. Absolute privacy. Be careful of the cabins either side of the centre line. There is a large vent on centreline which can produce bad odours. We got a rebate from Princess for this. Two cabins on the deck have posts running through them which others have complained about. We find the corner ones on Caribe deck wonderful because access is isolated and there is a better view as it raps around to the side. We also appreciate the easy access to the public facilites above and the laundry.

One complaint some have is that with the balcony door open and underway at speed there is a high noise level from the wake. We enjoy this as we think we are beside a waterfall and we consider it "white" noise.

Hope you are successful in getting one as they go fast.

Dennis & Louise

Our last few cruises have been in aft suites on the D deck and there is one balcony cabin right next to us. Love the view but the noise is terrible. You have to yell at each other and you can not hear anyone knocking at your door or even tell when someone comes in. Many times we would be sitting out and come back in and there would be things left on the bed - so make sure you are dressed out there! There is also more vibration - I had a terrible time sleeping on the Grand but the Crown wasn't as bad. The balcony is completely covered and we had very little sun. It is a long walk to go anyplace - ok for me because I like the exercise.

Archived