Luggage for TA cruise question

We want to book a trans Atlantic cruise for our next trip and were wondering about luggage. If RCI books your airfare do you have to pay for extra luggage on the airlines or do they follow the ships luggage allowance?

We want to book a trans Atlantic cruise for our next trip and were wondering about luggage. If RCI books your airfare do you have to pay for extra luggage on the airlines or do they follow the ships luggage allowance?

You pay for bags according to the airline's rules. It does not matter if the air was booked by Royal.

And be very careful of ALL your luggage allowances! When we took the Voyager out of Venice, our first leg was on American Airlines, which allows 2 bags free. Second leg from Madrid to Venice was on their partner, Iberia. Their allowance is 1 bag. Had we not known this, we'd have paid (through the teeth :mad:) for that second bag. Luckily we knew about this beforehand and kept our luggage to a minimum.

I think the cruiselines allowance (not that I think it is ever checked) is 200lb per person.:eek::eek::eek:

And be very careful of ALL your luggage allowances! When we took the Voyager out of Venice, our first leg was on American Airlines, which allows 2 bags free. Second leg from Madrid to Venice was on their partner, Iberia. Their allowance is 1 bag. Had we not known this, we'd have paid (through the teeth :mad:) for that second bag. Luckily we knew about this beforehand and kept our luggage to a minimum.

Is that one checked bag on Iberia? What about Carry ons?

Is that one checked bag on Iberia? What about Carry ons?

On Iberia, you're allowed one checked bag, one carry-on bag, and one personal item. They're very strict about size and weight. Most European countries are. My daughter flew Istanbul to Italy on Austrian Airlines and had to pay a whopping $700 in excess baggage charges, all because of one big suitcase. She tried fighting it but like they say, ignorance is no excuse...

The bag issue can work both ways. We booked with a partner of Scandanvia airlines on our Voyager cruise in 2010. We paid for the business bump on the flight from Austin to Dulles and were given the extra bag at no extra charge. Trying to remember what the extra charge for the extra leg room to Dulles, but it was around $39. We were gone for 23 days so one suitcase was going to be hard. I couldn't believe that we could pay for the business charge here in the states and have our bags fly overseas for the price of upgrade in the US leg of our flights.

We flew to London and had one bag each, I carried my surfboard in a cardboard box (for flowrider) and we had our carry-ons. (this was 2009). The best part was not worrying about increasing the weight on the way back. In fact, when we took (the most amazing) a tour of the beaches of Normandy, my son asked the tour guide if he could bring a rock from Utah beach home. The guide told him that it was fine. The next thing I knew, my son had a boulder in the van. Since we were on the ship, with no weight restrictions, he was able to bring that boulder home. It sits on a pedestal now with a plaque indicating that it's from Utah beach. We love to tell that story.

We actually took the underground from the airport to our hotel and then on the train from London to Southampton. It was much easier than I ever expected.

Double check your carry on limit it varies from airline to airline here in Europe.

It is not just the weight but the dimensions of your bag, so pushing a handbag into your carry on bag at check in can make it to big to fit into the metal measuring box/ cage that they use for checking the size.

Most european lines as well have a small one carry on bag with your purse or laptop case in it. The rule is not one carry on plus one personal, it must all fit in one. I'm doing my first TA in a few weeks thinking packing light...

Not really. Many major European carriers, such as Air France or British Airways, allow you to travel with one piece of carry on luggage PLUS a small personal item, just like most US carriers. It is the budget lines, like Ryan Air, that generally have the "you can only have ONE thing in your hands period" type of rule.

There may always be exceptions, so as always, travelers are advised to check directly with the airline they are flying.

Yes, budget airlines which there is a lot of in Europe;) But being Air France wanted triple of my flight for BCN to CDG I went budget. It was still less expensive even with purchasing for luggage in the hold.

As American living overseas as an I can definitely see the difference in American carry on sizes and European ones, just saying. On that note BA is the best with luggage AF not so much.

Of course check with the carrier. It is always best to fly with knowledge on each carrier.

Archived