Marina for our 20th anniversary - is the Concierge Class worth the extra $1000?

MaduroJim

Hi Folks,

We're looking at taking the Marina for a cruise for our anniversary.

I'm looking for some advice about the Concierge class. Has anyone sailed in that class? Could you let me know your thoughts if the amenities are worth it? I can handle the 700 thread count sheets in the regular cabin, but am willing to splurge if it's really worth it.

Any input is appreciated!

Jim

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some advice about the Concierge class. Has anyone sailed in that class? Could you let me know your thoughts if the amenities are worth it? I can handle the 700 thread count sheets in the regular cabin, but am willing to splurge if it's really worth it.

Jim

Hey Jim! Another Jim here-

First off, I can't find any Marina itineraries where the jump in cost from veranda to Concierge is anywhere near a thousand dollars

That said, if you are cruising to celebrate a milestone occasion I would urge you to look into booking a Suite.

Oceania-Cruises-Penthouse.jpg A Penthouse on the Marina is really something special, and having a butler can make a big difference in the way that you experience your cruise.

On "THE DAY", for example, you might have the butler wake you with a tray of iced fruit as an eye opener before that delicious private breakfast alfresco on your veranda.

room-service-mar.jpg

Later that night, your butler can arrange for an intimate table for two in one of the specialty restaurants, and when you return to your Suite....... viola.......iced champagne awaits you.

I know that a Suite isn't always for everybody, but having one can make a special occasion VERY Special.

My husband and I went on the Marina last summer and we upgraded to the Consierge level for a fee. We are planning another trip this summer and will pass on the Consierge level - IMO it is not worth the extra money. You are on higher floors, you have access to a special lounge with newspapers etc, and you get more options for specialty dining. That said, the entire ship is extremely stable making an upper floor unnecessary, and all the restaurants are great including the casual dining. I think the thread count is the same on the sheets and the rooms look identical to the Consierge level - all very nice!

@Jim - Thanks for the insights. Since I'm comparing a B4 to an A4, the difference comes in at almost exactly $1K. We've never sailed on Oceania, and after having bad experiences on some other lines, we hesitate to go all out until we've given it a test-drive. I think we may save the money this time so my wife can do more shopping! :-)

@Toonces - thanks for your toughts as well. I'm leaning towards saving the money.

Now the important part - we're looking at the 6/6 sailing and I'd better make sure I can get the time off of work!

Hi Folks,

Jim

I so agree with Jim/Stan. Our first "O" cruise was in a veranda category, our second in a concierge, our third in a PH (all these were on the Regatta). When it came time to sail on Marina we splurged for a PH3 and it was just magnificent! Where this is such a special occasion go for it. But to answer your question re: veranda vs concierge..the only reason I opt for concierge is the "hot" breakfast room service vs "cold". the cabins are exactly alike. Sometimes you just don't want to scrimp...yes we may not be able to retire as soon as we want but we sure do enjoy our travels and our comfort. We like to spoil ourselves as we are worth it.:D

Maybe that 1K figure is because the OP is not from North America? ??

Still, I weigh in on the "yes" it's better. But these are MY preferences and I have no idea if they would be yours. I don't care much about the butler ... for the first few times we had a butler we didn't use him at all. Then came a situation where we really needed him -- I had blown out my knee the day before we boarded the ship and needed a wheelchair to get to the dining rooms, and for a few days just to get around our cabin. This was on Regatta. (It was a miracle of miracles that this occurred on the one cruise we've ever taken where we had an owner's suite!) So we ordered meals in our room a lot where previously we'd only done for breakfasts on a tour day.

Our reason is simply liking the extra room. Now in your case, if the difference is A4 or B4 (I'm assuming the cabins are the same size) then it doesn't sound as if you are impressed with the extra perks. In our case, on the "R" ships we opt for a PH but on one occasion we were in the OS, on another we were in a VS. Yes, we loved being there but we generally just can't bring ourselves to spending as much as you will have to for the top suites. (Both of those times we had last minute upsells for very reasonable prices.)

In October we were bumped to a Vista on Marina because we consented to an itinerary change ... it was heaven, I loved all that room, but on the other hand it was a HUGE hike to the aft end of the ship. We'd never have paid the regular fare for the palatial digs and were delighted we didn't have to. In essence, we got that cabin for half price.

If room doesn't matter to you, then I would say stay where you are. (JMO) If more space DOES appeal to you, I'd recommend as Jim&Stan do: upgrade to a suite.

And if that isn't in the cards, I'm sure you'll be very happy with the cabin you have chosen.

Mura

@Jim - Thanks for the insights. Since I'm comparing a B4 to an A4, the difference comes in at almost exactly $1K. We've never sailed on Oceania, and after having bad experiences on some other lines, we hesitate to go all out until we've given it a test-drive. I think we may save the money this time so my wife can do more shopping! :-)

@Toonces - thanks for your toughts as well. I'm leaning towards saving the money.

Now the important part - we're looking at the 6/6 sailing and I'd better make sure I can get the time off of work!

Mura ..Jim is apparently from Chicago a part of N. A. , I think:rolleyes:

Jim ....We are on Marina's June 6th sailing in an Oceania suite. For the right price I'll rent it out to you for the day of your anniversary. (actually I might have to get my wife's consent 1st;))

In all seriousness you will NOT have a bad experience on the Oceania. You'll LOVE it !

I would take the B4 with the extended balcony over the A4. The Concierge Lounge is no big deal. There was very little he could do that I couldn't do by phone. The cabins are so similar that, if you didn't know the differences, you couldn't find them. I agree with splurging for the suite but I couldn't swing it.

If a B4 option is one with the extended balcony I would personally go for that room first! We were in a B3 in December 2011 and very content. Rooms are beautiful. I went to the concierge lounge to order a flower arrangement for our room (much cheaper to do this on ship vs. before you board and you can pick the arrangement which lasted the 12 days); they don't police who goes into the lounge.

Archived