New brochure

LHT28

I just noticed in the Your world Your way brochure Volume I it has on page 2 or 3 (?)

"Smoke Free Environment"

Does this mean Oceania is now non smoking?? or I am reading it wrong?

You can see it online at

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ebrochures/default.aspx?src=/emags/YourWorld-YourWay-1201/index.html#/2/

Hi LHT,

One, this isn't the new brochure, it's last years. Two, the comment is that is it "virtually" smoke-free. Just like it's always been. They only allow smoking in two places. One indoors and one outdoors.

It has a modifier...."virtually the entirety of our ships". I imagine nothing has changed...mostly smokefree except for a couple of areas. Generally works ok for us non-smokers although on our Marina TA there was a cigar smoker in the corner by the pool and the fumes definitely did not stay confined!!

It has a modifier...."virtually the entirety of our ships". I imagine nothing has changed...mostly smokefree except for a couple of areas. Generally works ok for us non-smokers although on our Marina TA there was a cigar smoker in the corner by the pool and the fumes definitely did not stay confined!!

Same problem on the R ships also and we have learned to stay away from that side of the ship on the pool deck. Horizons always seems smokey as well with no divider for the smoking area to contain the smoke.

I wish the ships really were "virtually smoke free." We encountered the same problem dodging smoke on our first Oceania cruise. Horizons Lounge was very smoky and we, too, had a cigar smoker on deck who chose to sit closest to the communal area, facing the pool, so that the odor from his stogie spread far and wide.

On that cruise we could at least retire to our aft suite and have our dear butler bring us afternoon tea and goodies; however, I am concerned about our upcoming Oceania cruise where we have booked a concierge stateroom. We want to be able to enjoy Horizons Lounge for afternoon tea, and smoke odor would make that impossible.

At the very least, I would like to see Horizons Lounge not permit any smoking for an hour before and after afternoon tea, but really, banning smoking there altogether would be significantly better.

We were on Regatta.

I wish the ships really were "virtually smoke free." We encountered the same problem dodging smoke on our first Oceania cruise. Horizons Lounge was very smoky and we, too, had a cigar smoker on deck who chose to sit closest to the communal area, facing the pool, so that the odor from his stogie spread far and wide.

On that cruise we could at least retire to our aft suite and have our dear butler bring us afternoon tea and goodies; however, I am concerned about our upcoming Oceania cruise where we have booked a concierge stateroom. We want to be able to enjoy Horizons Lounge for afternoon tea, and smoke odor would make that impossible.

At the very least, I would like to see Horizons Lounge not permit any smoking for an hour before and after afternoon tea, but really, banning smoking there altogether would be significantly better.

We were on Regatta.

We had the same experience on Insignia. I suspect one problem is that many of the crew smoke and don't even realize that the smell is terrible. Horizons in the morning - ick!

Thanks I wasn't sure if I was reading it wrong or not

I have never seen the crew smoke in the public areas ..they do have their own area

I sometimes have smelled smoke on deck 4 maybe from the reception back room ???

Hi Lyn, how are you and your handsome husband?

I've just read the new January 2012 brochure via the link you sent. The language is a bit fuzzy so one is lead to believe O is finally smoke-free....but I don't think it is.

"The comfort of smoke-free environments throughout virtually the entirety of our ships" (key words: the plural form of 'environment' makes me think that there are environments that aren't smoke-free and 'virtually' meaning entirely).

"Smoke-free environments ensure a radiant atmosphere and pristine decor throughout all of these venues" implying not all venues....see what I mean??

Smoking in Horizons is intolerable.....We've been on Insignia and Nautica and on both ships Horizons has major odor issues. Doubt there is a treatment on the market that could get the smoke odor out of the drapes, carpets, and upholstery.

Sure, we could avoid Horizons since we can't take the toxic, stinky environment but hey, come on....why do we have to? Horizons is one of the most beautiful venues on the ships. Why are the few blowing carcinogens into the air able to ruin it for the majority?

We think smoking should be confined to an outdoor space only and even then, smoke wafts inside (boggles the mind to have the smoking area on the deck outside the Gym) and down the stairway. Still, if there HAS to be a smoking area, make it outside.

Hi Lyn, how are you and your handsome husband?

I've just read the new January 2012 brochure via the link you sent. The language is a bit fuzzy so one is lead to believe O is finally smoke-free....but I don't think it is.

We are good

Hope all is good with you and your handsome hubby as well ;)

Yes i think the wording is a bit misleading or my interpretation is skewed :D

It would be nice if on the R-ships they could put a glass wall up like on the new ships...we can dream

take care

Lyn

I have never seen the crew smoke in the public areas ..they do have their own area

My husband said he saw an officer or two (maybe more) smoke on the pool deck in the smoking area on Regatta.

There also exists on our hard drive a photo one of us took of an officer whose pack of cigarettes in her uniform pocket was quite visible. He took the picture of her because of her nice smile, but once home we noticed the pack of cigarettes in her chest pocket. She is not the one he saw smoking by the pool, but even so, I don't think it's very attractive for an officer to have their cigarettes so prominently displayed.

My husband said he saw an officer or two (maybe more) smoke on the pool deck in the smoking area on Regatta.

I guess officers are crew & I admit I have seen management staff in the smoking area sometimes when I pass that area (not often)

I was referring to waiters, below deck crew etc

I know you probably do not read minds my DH is always reminding me that others may have not have any idea what I was thinking when trying to convey my thoughts :D

On Regatta last fall there was a gaggle of ship's officers who convened regularly in Horizons - the port entrance to the lounge was impassable.

The last two posts surprised me, as I didn't realize officers were permitted to smoke in the passenger smoking areas, especially indoors.

I hope that Oceania bans that practice, especially indoors. I'd prefer it if Oceania would provide someplace away from passengers for their crew—including officers—to smoke. Don't they have an officer's lounge?

When we were on Marina we were surprised that in Horizons, which now features an almost full breakfast bar, many officers were eating their breakfast at tables near the breakfast area. At one time we counted 8 officers. Not a problem but we were surprised they could do it.

When we were on Marina we were surprised that in Horizons, which now features an almost full breakfast bar, many officers were eating their breakfast at tables near the breakfast area. At one time we counted 8 officers. Not a problem but we were surprised they could do it.

I did not know they had a breakfast bar in Horizons ..I missed that :(

I think Officers are allowed to eat in the dining venues

I have seen them in a few of the dining rooms at times, certainly at Waves & the Terrace

Why don't they ban cigars completely? Yes, I know cigarettes smell, but they are not quite as obnoxious as cigars and cigar smokers always seem to spew their smoke towards the non-smokers. On the Insignia, the smokers certainly made their side of Horizons, not a pleasant spot to sit even in the non-smoking portion. Mind you a strong smelling perfume or after shave is just as obnoxious for those who suffer from allergies.

I did not know they had a breakfast bar in Horizons ..I missed that :(

I think Officers are allowed to eat in the dining venues

I have seen them in a few of the dining rooms at times, certainly at Waves & the Terrace

mw-rtrt1st-trip-chusan-dinner-1st-class-rest.jpg

Officers have always had run of the ship privileges, even in the old days when everything was more class conscious.

Officers have always had run of the ship privileges, even in the old days when everything was more class conscious.

I agree, that was my point

I have seen officers dining in all the venues on most ships we have been on

Agree that officers have the run of the ship. My only point was there was such a concentration at the Horizons breakfast bar that it seemed that they had "taken over" the venue. Many had their laptops or 3 ring binders and were apparently working while eating.

We have always seen officers in the Terrace Cafe, Waves, etc., although never in the specialty restaurants.

Although the discussion on this thread has wavered from the original post, the comments re passengers' and officers' smoking venues is of interest to both myself and DH. We have objections to second-hand smoke and avoid passing through the Oceania's designated areas. We have seen officers, including a captain, (not crew members) smoke in the pool deck smoking area. Since it is easier to avoid Horizon's designated area, we cannot comment about officers using this venue. We would love for Oceania to be a smoke-free cruise line but have accepted their current policy. It has not stopped us from cruising with them as we have done with other cruise lines. I also find a lot of perfumes and after-shave lotions take away my breath.

Not a fan of smoke, and am glad the areas are limited.

I, too, find the smell permeates Horizons.

But, I really wish they would move that marvelous map of the route we are taking away from the outdoor smoking area, and find a better place for it!

We love to study it, but can only do so for as long as we can hold our breath!

Not a fan of smoke, and am glad the areas are limited.

I, too, find the smell permeates Horizons.

But, I really wish they would move that marvelous map of the route we are taking away from the outdoor smoking area, and find a better place for it!

We love to study it, but can only do so for as long as we can hold our breath!

I second the motion to move that map (although I can tolerate the smoke :o )

Park_Site_map_table.jpg

A map table in Horizons or the card room would be just the thing.

Since it is easier to avoid Horizon's designated area, we cannot comment about officers using this venue.

I don't mind the officers using the venue, but I strongly object to them smoking there. I don't think officers or crew should be smoking in passenger areas, including passenger smoking areas, especially as it now seems as though a very large percentage of the smoking we encountered on Regatta was actually caused by officers.

We were not able to avoid the smoke in Horizons on Regatta, even though we went to every single table in the entire room and none of them were smoke free. The odor of cigarette smoke permeated the entire room. Many people on the same cruise complained about how smoky Horizons is, so it bothered many people.

Does Oceania employ more smokers than Azamara?

To their credit, Azamara has banned smoking in their forward observation lounge entirely. Smoking is allowed in the one outside area only.

Wow, I sure hope Oceania follows Azamara's lead re banning smoking in all indoor venues, as it sounds like the smaller ships have an issue with smoke intrusion in Horizons. We never noticed a smoke issue in Horizons on Marina; the glass partition seemed to do its job, although we didn't spend too much time there relative to the rest of the ship.

On Marina we found the only bothersome smoke was outside, from the pool deck smoking area. There was often a group of passengers there, socializing and puffing away from morning til after dinner. When the ship was underway, the smoke wafted all the way down the starboard side to the Waves Grill tables...not appetizing. And when the ship was in port, the smoke tended to swirl around the forward end of the pool deck (where the pool bar is). Agree with the poster who said the cigar smoke was particularly intrusive; if there must be a smoking area, I wish it was on the top rear deck. But I guess they feel it must be covered and somewhat protected.

Still, props to Oceania for having one of the more restrictive smoking policies - the major reason we chose them. We were always able to move away from the smoke odor, except when having breakfast in Waves.

Archived