Need help deciding btw Salmon or Halibut fishing at ISP

cruznbelle

I'm so confused... we will be in ISP July 4th. This will be our 3rd cruise and 2nd trip to ISP. I love to fish but DH doesn't -so we've never fished in AK. This trip I want to do a 1/2 day and at this port since it fits best into our itinerary.

My 1st inclination was going for King Salmon since that sounds like fun and I love Salmon. I've caught lots of pinks in upper Mich. so wouldn't be totally disappointed with coho or pinks but really want King or Sockeye to ship back home. Honestly King would be the thrill for me - I only eat Salmon when I buy it and always buy wild caught Sockeye when I can.

Then there is Halibut - I enjoy eating halibut - order it whenever I see it on a menu but have never grilled it at home. Fishing for halibut is intriguing to me and definitely not something I'll ever do again. So I'm thinking - okay - Halibut because definitely will be shipping back if I catch one but how much meat does a 37" halibut yield?

So my dilema is which to go for... King is at end of it's run in July best I can tell. Halibut I'm worried would be hard for me to bring up and really doesn't sound like much 'fishing' is involved but it does sound like it's a better bet in terms of catching one. I think I'd enjoying catching a King better but chances sound a bit iffy. I'd just be ho hum with rockfish...

Any suggestions? I'm in analysis paralysis :confused:

A 36" halibut would be catch and release only.

it's weight is probably about 60lbs or more.

The large halibut are females . Most small halibut are males and weight 30 lbs.

In BC halibut over 36" are catch and release. I would think that Alaska has a similar rule .

36" halibut would be to grainy to eat .

While we have access to all the halibut and salmon we need, I much prefer halibut over salmon to eat. That said salmon fishing is much more exciting than halibut fishing....no contest in my mind go for the salmon.:)

.. King is at end of it's run in July best I can tell. Halibut I'm worried would be hard for me to bring up and really doesn't sound like much 'fishing' is involved but it does sound like it's a better bet in terms of catching one.

the "run" is when mature fish are queuing up and entering freshwater.The concentrating does increase your chances but they've been in the ocean all along and a good guide knows where the traditional feeding areas are. Winter king fishing is popular with the hardcore in Petersburg.

I think the timing is good for salmon, late kings and early coho. I don't get excited about halibut for another month.

One consideration, trolling for salmon probably only allows 4 lines in the water (two off the stern and one off the port and the starboard) at a time and the charter operator with a license for six may book six. Someone gets to watch. Halibut jigging, the lines are vertical and all six fishers can dangle dead herring.

Thanks everything for the replys... and yes - it's 4 poles with rotation.

DH put his vote in for Halibut - but it's waitlisted for the 7:30 - figures - so I'm on the list. Will continue to look at private - but being 1 person I'd be an add-on to an existing group.

I've mulled it over for a time now and realize my hesitation with the sport fishing excursion is the price - at $249.00 - it's fine for Halibut, King, or Sockeye since I love to eat them and would definitely have them shipped home. It would not be worth it to me for pink at all since I can do that in Sault Ste Marie with my Uncle for free. The other species - well I'd rather save my money and go on brown trout fishing this summer when I visit my parents - which is the price of a license & stamp. Guess I'm spoiled.

Anyway - thanks again.

*Thanks everyone - is what I meat to post...

Bottom-dragger (love the name!) thanks for the Salmon info... although your comment on not getting excited about Halibut in for another month - makes me take pause... do you think catching King or Coho July 4th at ISP is a better bet than Halibut or is that just a preference for you?

If it wasn't for the price - I wouldn't care since it's fishing after all :D

Just for me - I get to go fishing by boat with family every summer so for $249.00 - it's got to be something vastly different.

Thanks everything for the replys... and yes - it's 4 poles with rotation.

DH put his vote in for Halibut - but it's waitlisted for the 7:30 - figures - so I'm on the list. Will continue to look at private - but being 1 person I'd be an add-on to an existing group.

I've mulled it over for a time now and realize my hesitation with the sport fishing excursion is the price - at $249.00 - it's fine for Halibut, King, or Sockeye since I love to eat them and would definitely have them shipped home. It would not be worth it to me for pink at all since I can do that in Sault Ste Marie with my Uncle for free. The other species - well I'd rather save my money and go on brown trout fishing this summer when I visit my parents - which is the price of a license & stamp. Guess I'm spoiled.

Anyway - thanks again.

You'll find the pink salmon in Alaska is totally different from the pink salmon in Sault Ste Marie .:confused: If I remember correctly the pink salmon in the great lakes (Sault Ste Marie ) doesn't migrate to the open ocean for most of it's adult life. The time in the Pacific Ocean makes the fish taste totally different .

Doopeydozer - you know - I never thought about that.. the pinks are typically caught out of the Saint Mary's River around Labor Day - I just assumed they came in from the Saint Lawrence. And while good eating, the family cans alot of it. Our fresh water preference is walleye, perch or white fish - beer battered of course :D

hmmm more things to consider..

Bottom-dragger (love the name!) thanks for the Salmon info... although your comment on not getting excited about Halibut in for another month - makes me take pause... do you think catching King or Coho July 4th at ISP is a better bet than Halibut or is that just a preference for you? .

I used to run a shrimp trawl, a dragger or most insulting, a bottom dragger. Sold the trawl, kept the tacky name.

I have not fished out of ISP, but I have spent a lot of time in Hoonah (Hoona-lulu) working on salmon enhancement projects. My comments on timing are that I think that the saltwater salmon fishing should be really good and the halibut are going to be deeper.

Salmon and halibut should be available so fish for the species you want. I have the ability to be choosey on my timing. But!!!! talk with your outfitter/guide about Plan B, what do you do when your target fish just aren't hitting. Is he prepared to change from trolling (salmon) to jigging (halibut)? Different types of gear.

Fish On!!

Not sure in the posts where you are going to fish. In SE Alaska i think the new rules is one halibut under 42" or over 65". I believe and most alaskans will agree the best eating halibut is one under 50 pounds. We call them chikens because there meat is like a chicken breast.

Archived