Corkage in the MDR

krehberg

We brought a bottle one night and my brother brought another on a different night and neither of us was charged corkage. I believe the rate is $14 per bottle. We also bought the 5 bottles deal from Bon Voyage. We thought that was pretty good of him and put a larger tip in for him at the end of cruise. If he had charged us for the corkage I would have accepted it for what it was. I still would have tipped him, but we gave a little extra because of that and because he did a fabulous job of taking care of us at dinner.

Mebbe its just me, especially as I am not much of a wine drinker (craft beers, OTOH...) but I don't see why some of you get bent out of shape over the corkage fee as it is CCL policy and not a hidden one, either. I mean, I would go expecting to pay the fee and be happily surprised if I wasn't.

Just being curious....

We were just on the Destiny last week and we were charged a corkage fee both nights we brought wine in. We have never been charged on any of our previous cruises before so were were surprised, but didn't say anything about it since it is in writing. We loved our waiter so we gladly paid it and tipped him extra at the end!

We were just on the Destiny last week and we were charged a corkage fee both nights we brought wine in. We have never been charged on any of our previous cruises before so were were surprised, but didn't say anything about it since it is in writing. We loved our waiter so we gladly paid it and tipped him extra at the end!

I would have asked him why since you were never charged in the past.

Mebbe its just me, especially as I am not much of a wine drinker (craft beers, OTOH...) but I don't see why some of you get bent out of shape over the corkage fee as it is CCL policy and not a hidden one, either. I mean, I would go expecting to pay the fee and be happily surprised if I wasn't.

Just being curious....

Im a wine drinker but I am with you on this one...I would go in expecting a cork fee since it is company policy!

But if 98% of the time it is not charged would you not wonder why they are looking at me to pay it?

Sorry - kinda have to laugh as this sounds very familiar.........

I mean, its CCL policy not to save deck chairs but 98% of the time its not enforced, lol...... :p

Sorry - kinda have to laugh as this sounds very familiar.........

I mean, its CCL policy not to save deck chairs but 98% of the time its not enforced, lol...... :p

How true. Carnival has rather selective enforcement of its rules, doesnt it.

I wonder if I dump the bottle of wine in my Bubba Keg prior to entering the MDR if they will charge me the corkage fee??:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

We get around the issue by bringing in a large glass of wine on nights we want some.

I am glad to know charging is rare....was thinking today about maybe just sucking up the charge and bringing wine to dinner. 1 bottle per person...or 1 bottle per table?

There is no limit, we were on the Spirit earlier this month and sometimes had 6 bottles on the table at a time (there were 5 of us).

We brought a bottle one night and my brother brought another on a different night and neither of us was charged corkage. I believe the rate is $14 per bottle. We also bought the 5 bottles deal from Bon Voyage. We thought that was pretty good of him and put a larger tip in for him at the end of cruise. If he had charged us for the corkage I would have accepted it for what it was. I still would have tipped him, but we gave a little extra because of that and because he did a fabulous job of taking care of us at dinner.

The MDR corkage is $10, but the steakhouse corkage is $14.

But if 98% of the time it is not charged would you not wonder why they are looking at me to pay it?

No... you got away with it before. It's like speeding, we all do it, and more than 90% of the time I don't get pulled over, but when I do, do you think saying I speed all the time and never been caught will help or mean anything?

It's not sneaky, it's not greedy, it's a policy. If it's enforced , so be it, it's expected, if not, then bonus!

Would you be happier if you asked why you were charged now when you weren't before? and they apologized, said sorry for their omission and charged you all the times you got it for free? would that make you feel better?

No... you got away with it before. It's like speeding, we all do it, and more than 90% of the time I don't get pulled over, but when I do, do you think saying I speed all the time and never been caught will help or mean anything?

It's not sneaky, it's not greedy, it's a policy. If it's enforced , so be it, it's expected, if not, then bonus!

Would you be happier if you asked why you were charged now when you weren't before? and they apologized, said sorry for their omission and charged you all the times you got it for free? would that make you feel better?

When it is like never enforced (and read all the threads on it) would wonder why this waiter is suddenly charging me for it? Doesnt cost anything for me to ask.

I do not consider myself a sheep that will always bend to the will of others.

When it is like never enforced (and read all the threads on it) would wonder why this waiter is suddenly charging me for it? Doesnt cost anything for me to ask.

I do not consider myself a sheep that will always bend to the will of others.

Why would you look a gift horse in the mouth? I was going to say something to our waiter but my wife nudged me and told me to "shut-up!" She always gives me such good advice.

Why would you look a gift horse in the mouth? I was going to say something to our waiter but my wife nudged me and told me to "shut-up!" She always gives me such good advice.

A gift horse? Not hardly.

He was asking for corkage fee so I would be asking him about this.

BTW I dont say shut up to my wife and she will not say it to me.

Just being curious....

100% agree

Make a big noise about it and the only result wouldbe the Maitre d's creaking down and everyone always getting charged.

How about if you do get charged, you take one for the team.

Archived