Door signs - Tacky?

It's a vacation and it is supposed to be fun! Who cares if a few think it is Tacky. I think alot of them are cute.

The only warning I would give is: don't have your daughter put up any posters are signs that have any type of sentimental value or are worth a decent amount of money. Although It doesn't happen often, sometimes the door decorations can be torn down or destroyed by immature individuals.

Door decorating is something that can be fun and make people happy without hurting anyone. Although it may not be everyone's cup of tea, there is absolutely no reason not to do something simple that will make people happy. Decorate away!

Prior to my cruise I read about everyone's door decorations, ect. So I decided to do some for ours. I got some cutouts of tropical fish/sealife and adorned them with glitter glue..they looked cute and colorful. I put a couple on our door. I didn't see anyone else's door decorated in the entire hallway with any. I didn't care. DH said he was glad I did cuz it was the best way he found our cabin! One morning a lady said "oh, those are so cute, did your kids make those in the kids club?" I told her I did them and she got a kick out of it and thought it was a great idea.

My kids were in a separate cabin and refused to put decorations on their door as they thought it was lame.

I think your daughter should do it...will also make her feel extra special for her cruise too!

BTW..I used those small double sided squares/tape that you buy in the scrapbooking department at your local craft store and they peeled off with no problem or leaving any residue or marking.

After my nearly 12yo daughter tried to return to the wrong room recently (M165 instead of M65), she made a drawing in a post-it note & stuck it to the door to help us ID our room easier. One day I did somehow find our post-in on another room for some reason. I took it back. ;)

On my son's Leap Day Birthday, I took a punch of post it notes & wrote out HAPPY LEAP DAY BIRTHDAY MICHAEL (with one letter on each post it) and wrote out "2nd birthday" on one note, and "8 years old" on another one. He loved it! LOL!

[quote name='hannahsmomtoo']We embark on my birthday.. and my 13 year old daughter wants to make a door sign that says "It's my birthday" or something similar..
I have heard of people doing this...
Read mised reviews about whether or not the doors ( Splendor ) are metal..

What is your opinion on door signs? ok? tacky?

Thanks !!![/QUOTE]

You asked so I will give you my opinion - tacky, stupid, dumb, useless, embarrassing, unnecessary. etc.

Do you get the idea that I would not do it but each to his / her own.

DON

I say go for it!!! I have used this door decoration on my last several cruises. I don't know if my DH is so thrilled about it, but he is a good sport and humors me. We get TONS of comments about it. People love it. And as others have mentioned - it makes it very easy to find your cabin door!

[attachment=175311:name]

I wouldn't worry about what the other passengers thing. It's your cruise, your door, do whatever you like. :) Actually I enjoy seeing doors decorated. I've never done it myself, not because I think it's tacky, I'm just not interested in doing it but I enjoy seeing other people's doors all decorated up.

I remember our first cruise I wanted to take pictures of our food but, "what would other people think?" So I didn't do it much. Really regretted it. Now I don't give a hoot what other people might think, and I take all the food pictures I want to. :)

[quote name='Melismass']I won a ship on a stick for my last decorated door! Of course its not tacky its fun and people enjoy looking at them.[/quote]

The vast difference in the responses is interesting to me..
Thanks for all your input - I agree ( with most of you ).. If it makes my daughter happy, I don't care how others view it. If MY door is going to be enough to cause someone else to be negative - they need a vacation MUCH more than I do !!

[quote name='bobsfamily']Yikes! Not sure I would put our faces on the door, might scare young children, but I admire you![/quote]

LOL!! Thanks! Our table mates for dinner had a room on the back of the ship right around the corner from our room. We were all walking back from dinner one night as they were borrowing a phone charger from us and as we walked up to our door the wife told the husband, "See, I told you that looked like Martyn and Sherrie on the door." We all got a laugh! And our neighbors across the hall had a little boy. And they told us he liked our door decoration so much he made his folks take a picture of it.

I just think it's fun!

I started decorating my stateroom door when my grandson was very young so he could locate our room easier. Ten years later, I'm still decorating my stateroom door. To answer a previous poster's question, I do believe the Liberty has a door decorating contest...hope I win on my cruise in May.

I use Sticky Tack to fasten the decorations to the metal door. It is a non-toxic reusable adhesive that feels like putty and you soften it between your fingers. It peels right off the door and the decorations leaving no marks. They sell a similar product in the large office supply stores.

I consider myself pretty damn stodgy when it comes to most things. I want everyone in a tux and tie on formal night and no bathing suits outside the lido deck, but even I have never batted an eye at a door display or sign. It is your door, do with it as you please. Saw several last week, they were cute.

[quote name='asalligo']I consider myself pretty damn stodgy when it comes to most things. I want everyone in a tux and tie on formal night and no bathing suits outside the lido deck, but even I have never batted an eye at a door display or sign. It is your door, do with it as you please. Saw several last week, they were cute.[/quote]

You are my kind of stodgy.:)

Every year, we put Cruise Critic Door Signs up and people will stop us and ask us if we are Cruise Critics..hehe..we say absolutely and run with it..lol

I have also put blank post it notes all over the door and attached a pen. We have had a blast coming back to read all the comments people would leave each night!! You have to make sure to attached the pen, because people WILL walk away with it, but it's worth it!

Archived