can you overpack for Alaska?

NoobCruise

WOW, I truly don't comprehend how people travel so light!

There is no way I could make do with 2 pairs of pants on a 2 week trip! I have to have choices :D

Done the carry-on bag routine to Hawaii --doing it for Florida at the beginning of May--but don't know how I could do it for the Alaska trip. Too much hassle to haul everything through airports!

I'd rather do laundry than struggle with multiple suitcases. A fleece pullover is a very useful clothing item; lightweight but keeps you warm. If you pack a few T's to wear under the fleece, you can wash them out by hand and hang them in the shower to dry. Heck who notices what you wear or re-wear ? As long as you're clean and comfortable that's what counts. On cold wet days I could wear a jacket but if it wasn't cold I had a poncho in my daypack to throw over my fleece.

I'm from TX and if last summer is any indication, the temperatures will be in the 100's when we head to Alaska. Therefore we won't be acclimated at ALL to a cold(er) climate. Will we need a jacket if we have a rain jacket, fleece jacket, gloves, & earmuffs? I was just planning on wearing layers underneath the fleece on cold days and to top it off with the rain jacket on rainy days. I HATE to be cold, but I also hate to have to wag a jacket too.... Opinions please!

What you describe is perfect, Teacher. Layers with the top layer being waterproof rain coat. No extra "jacket" required with the fleece layering underneath. You will be fine. My typical day in port started w/short sleeved tee shirt, then either a longsleeved tee or a fleece or hoodie on top of the tee, then my raincoat. Good to go. Peel off layers as necessary.

After four trips to AK, I have learned to pack light (yes even for HAL's 14 day itinerary, I only packed one week's worth of clothes, no formal stuff, ate all meals in Lido anyway - just our preference), and to take FULL advantage of HAL's Unlimited Laundry package, which was a very reasonable $98 per cabin for the entire 14 days (with 3 in a cabin, it was the best bargain going!).

There is no way I could make do with 2 pairs of pants on a 2 week trip! I have to have choices

Well, it's all a matter of priorities. If having those choices is worth the hassle and possible expense of lugging big suitcases, and tripping over weighty luggage in your stateroom, then there you go. :) For me, 1 pair of jeans and 1 pair of cargo pants and I'm good to go plus whatever pair I am wearing while traveling.

Therefore we won't be acclimated at ALL to a cold(er) climate. Will we need a jacket if we have a rain jacket, fleece jacket, gloves, & earmuffs?

I'm coming from a warm climate, too (Alabama). Based on data, it may be into the 40s and 30s at night (F), probably the 50s during the day. For me, that is not earmuff weather. I will bring a pair of light knit gloves and knit hats in the event that it is unseasonably cold, but those items do not take up much room. Each of us will also have fleece outerwear and a poncho.

I just don't think we have these kinds of clothes, at least not in "cheap" stores :(

I went to a discount store the other day and asked where the coats were

The guy on the floor did not know, finally they found the sorry rack

they had 5 "coats" in Large size

one was a sweater, 2 were satin "bomber" jackets with sparkles for teens

I guess

I have seen some dressy suit jackets.

The one thrift store I was in only had about 12-14 "coats", they did have denim jackets. I bought a flannel shirt tho !!!

You may see me in a Pittsburgh Steelers sweatshirt with the blanket wrapped around me

I just can't justify the cost of even the "clearance" stuff...outerwear is soooo expensive

I keep thinking I will run into some super sale, some closeout...I am going to look at Sawgrass Mills.....more thrift stores....some consignment shops....an army navy.....and we have a Burlington Coat Factory....I bet they will have something??

I am going to have to simply buy earmuffs and stuff on the boat or in the towns. I plan to buy a sweatshirt that says Alaska

I found some "tights" ....which will have to do for me, cause I am cheap that way LOL.

So now I have 2 pair tights and a flannel shirt !!! Progress !!

And yes, I am also worried about the "weight" of all this heavy stuff with flying...don't want to pay extra. My friends and I plan to grin and bear it and wear heaviest clothes and carry whatever (yet to be found) jacket with us on the plane.

I am going to have to simply buy earmuffs and stuff on the boat or in the towns. I plan to buy a sweatshirt that says Alaska

On my last Alaska cruise on the Rotterdam there was a day when they had tables set up on the Lido deck selling sweatshirts. IIRC they were pretty reasonable (maybe $20 each>?) and said "Alaska".

On my last Alaska cruise on the Rotterdam there was a day when they had tables set up on the Lido deck selling sweatshirts. IIRC they were pretty reasonable (maybe $20 each>?) and said "Alaska".

Yahooo....now we're talking :) I have noticed that what few cold weather clothes they have here in South Florida tend to be "designer" or higher end brands.

We just don't have cheap warm stuff....no knit hats or gloves in the low end stores here but you can get expensive ones at sporting good/ski store.

$20 sounds good and it will be nice to have something that says Alaska

And yes, I am also worried about the "weight" of all this heavy stuff with flying...don't want to pay extra. My friends and I plan to grin and bear it and wear heaviest clothes and carry whatever (yet to be found) jacket with us on the plane.

I'm not sure if I said it in this thread or another, but we plan on shipping stuff to our pre-cruise hotel... (Might not be "cheaper" - have to wait & see on that one considering the cost to check luggage on the plane - but I'll take that over the schlepping on the bus, in the airport, to the/on the light rail, on the train, in the cab, etc.)

I am planning to ship some stuff back from Ketchikan, ulu knives etc

I want to keep my luggage weight down

My flight is pretty early from Seattle so I won't have time to drop off stuff

however, if I get a cheap 2nd hand "coat" or other heavy duty stuff I would not mind donating it in Ketchikan, that way I will have more room for souveniers in my luggage

is there a charity drop off in Ketchikan??? thanks

Yahooo....now we're talking :) I have noticed that what few cold weather clothes they have here in South Florida tend to be "designer" or higher end brands.

We just don't have cheap warm stuff....no knit hats or gloves in the low end stores here but you can get expensive ones at sporting good/ski store.

$20 sounds good and it will be nice to have something that says Alaska

Are you arriving a day early for your cruise--if so I would hit stores in the North West. I'm planning on a Canada sweat shirt/jacket. Don't you have a light waterproof jacket and shoes for life in South Florida? The outer layer will be the most important of your layers.

I plan on shipping a suitcase via UPS.

Do you have an idea of what the cost would be?? Sounds like a great

idea - better that shlepping a bag all over the airports.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

September, 2012 - Alaska – Amsterdam - 14 day cruise BOOKED

Future Cruises – in planning stage:

March - 2013 Panama Canal - - 28 day

August – 2014 – Eastern Med – 28 days or one that will be cruising Black Sea

Are you arriving a day early for your cruise--if so I would hit stores in the North West. I'm planning on a Canada sweat shirt/jacket. Don't you have a light waterproof jacket and shoes for life in South Florida? The outer layer will be the most important of your layers.

LOL>>> no I only have 2 pair of sneakers that are closed shoes

I wear sandals year round

I don't own a waterproof jacket , I really have nothing...just nothing

well now I have a flannel shirt (used) and 2 pair of tights (new)

LOL>>> no I only have 2 pair of sneakers that are closed shoes

I wear sandals year round

I don't own a waterproof jacket , I really have nothing...just nothing

well now I have a flannel shirt (used) and 2 pair of tights (new)

At least you can waterproof your sneakers! The spray is available in Walmart or any camping-type store. Do not use Scotchguard.

IMHO the reality is you will have to spend some $$$ on cool weather clothing and rain gear. You have lots of low price suggestions--maybe once you have the clothing you can have new adventures in cool weather locations.

Do you have an idea of what the cost would be?? Sounds like a great

idea - better that shlepping a bag all over the airports.

Varies - I am shipping from Maryland to Canada & expecting @$60 - for a standard 50lb. bag using ground services (air - multiply by 3) On the return we will ship from Seattle & the cost will be about $40 instead - no customs & not international.

Archived