can you overpack for Alaska?

NoobCruise

If the layers and wind proof jackets are not enough would the tour companies have anything for sale on board or just some quilts for those freezing?

Some tours like kayaking, canoeing or zodiacs where there is a stong chance of getting wet will include foul weather gear and boots for their customers, but unless that is specified with the tour you book don't count on the tour company to provide outerwear. You need to come prepared for whatever the weather offers that day. We have experienced very cold, wet days in Alaksa and conversely, days that were so warm we have wished for shorts and t-shirts!

Any pictures of a "fleece" please???

Check this link out for a picture of a fleece pullover.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/61762?feat=510165-GN2&attrValue_0=Island Blue

My basic Alaska outfit generally consists of a turtleneck, jeans and fleece pullover like this with a waterproof windbreaker over the top if needed when it's rainy. Add some gloves, scarf and hat when it is pretty chilly and some good water resistant walking shoes/boots and you should be good to go.

If you are doing a coastal trip.

IMO all you really need for outer wear:

Light lined windbreaker/rain coat, hooded or not.

umbrella

Fleece layer, (like a cotton sweatshirt but poly fleece), hooded or not.

midweight polyester hiking pants.

Button shirts, poly or wool, light weight.

T shirt, poly material.

You want to stay away from cotton when you can, when it gets wet it stays

wet, cold and miserable.Poly will stay warm if it gets wet and dry quickly.

You also need a hat to keep rain or sun out of your eyes, a solid (no mesh)

baseball hat will work if your clothes have a hood.

One jacket

one fleece

two button shirts

two of hiking pants.

will be plenty for all your excursion needs.

all that is left are shoes you don't mind getting wet,

decent socks and underpants unless you do the Commando thing,

take what you think you need for changes.

All of the above will work for ship board wear as well,

you are in Alaska so looking the part is accepted.

Have a pr or two of slacks an shirts for evening wear

and then your Formal stuff and you should be good.

Thrift stores are a good source for everything but the pants

in my area.

Many places carry wind resistant fleece as well, that may kill to birds with one stone so to speak.

You will be able to get out of the wind, if there is any. We moved so slowly in the bay that there wasn't any wind. The days we were on shore we dressed pretty much the same, except I usually didn't have my hat. I know we are from an area that is used to cold weather and that there were many from Texas on our ship who were under dressed, but there are plenty of places to see the glaciers from inside if you find yourself cold. We didn't go in at all this day.

Our whale watch was also with an boat that had an enclosed area and an area to be out on deck. The Deadliest Catch tour we took had over head heaters and large coats that they freely gave to anyone who needed them. We used them as a lap blanket (think of going on a sleigh ride or to a fall football game) and we were fine. Keep your head covered if you get cold easily, that should help.

The picture should give you an idea of how we were dressed in Glacier Bay-2365618470107432765eTcjbP_th.jpg

laratemom thank you for the picture of the "fleece"

frediver..thanks for this helpful list

OMG...I thought I had tee shirts but they are cotton...I prefer to buy cotton cause it "breathes". Many of my clothes are cotton or very lightweight poly or silky poly material. I do not own any outwear or any closed shoes except for sneakers (2 pair)

I went to 3 thrift shops today...slim pickings....some very old coats...one store only had a total of 12 coats on the racks...another thrift shop had more coats but they were more like dressy wool coats or fake fur or suede.

Some very nasty looking old sweaters, some with Christmas designs or halloween....some funky stuff. I saw denim jackets. One jacket looked pretty lightweight and fluffy, polyester BUT it was bright lime green. I saw tweedy suit jackets and wool suit jackets but I am allergic to wool.

They had some of those ugly "bomber" jackets with bright patterns and "chains" really old style. Some truly horrible stuff LOL

I bought one thing....yay....a "flannel" plaid shirt !! It is cotton tho I think.

Now I have

1) flannel shirt I bought in thrift store today

2) a sparkly knit top with long sleeves I bought in thrift store

3) a fax suede shirt with long sleeves I bought in thrift store

4) one long sleeve black knit top with a vee neck

5) a 12 year old Steelers sweatshirt that was my late Father's

6) a very old black "tweedy" suit jacket that I bought in a thrift store

during a cold spell about 5 years ago

I have some long pants.....black "chico" type pants....some lightweight jeans/denim pants....I have a very lightweight plaid shirt with long sleeves that is like Indian madras but it is bright colors and I think it is too lightweight

I am pretty "messed up" here.....:eek::eek::eek: it is HOT today, in the 80's and sun is pounding down.....

I really don't have any clothes for cold weather...I stay at home or run to car and put on heater, stay inside....on the few days it is cold here

Or I wear my "steeler sweatshirt" and/or my tweed jacket or both of them, over the black top with long sleeves

that's "how I roll"

like some other Floridians I have been known to sit with a blanket wrapped around me if it gets below 60...and even wear that blanket wrapped around me out to the mailbox and *gasp....wear my blankie

out to my car ....hahaha

A cotton "T" shirt under all your other stuff is not all that if you can keep dry.

Do you have a surplus store near by?

Lots of Military or Tactical wear does not really look that bad if you get it in solid

colors. Police supplies are another good source but are sometimes priced higher.

If you have time to mail order try:

REI.com ( outlet heading )

LApolicegear.com ( good closeouts and other stuff )

SierraTradingpost.com

Campmor.com

Keep an eye open here, deals do not last long:http://www.steepandcheap.com/ They have an interesting looking jacket now.

A cotton "T" shirt under all your other stuff is not all that if you can keep dry.

Do you have a surplus store near by?

Lots of Military or Tactical wear does not really look that bad if you get it in solid

colors. Police supplies are another good source but are sometimes priced higher.

If you have time to mail order try:

REI.com ( outlet heading )

LApolicegear.com ( good closeouts and other stuff )

SierraTradingpost.com

Campmor.com

Keep an eye open here, deals do not last long:http://www.steepandcheap.com/ They have an interesting looking jacket now.

Thank you frediver

I know of a military "surplus" store, that might be a good place to look

I did look at Bass Pro Outlet but that gear for hunting/fishing etc is expensive. Ski clothes are very expensive, I looked in a ski store

I am so puzzled to buy things online cause you have to "fit" things over each other, so I think I will need a "larger" outer layer, so it will fit over the other stuff

It is hard to justify spending top dollar on this stuff that will be worn for 7 days *(or 10 days, as I will be in Seattle 3 days)

I have been told to NOT bother with an umbrella. I saw "rain ponchos" by "Totes" here....I think that would be good??

I am going to keep looking in thrift shops, I may get :lucky:.

I also am hoping to get gloves and stuff cheap in Seattle and/or Alaska.

I figure every port in the Caribbean/Bahamas/Mexico/Florida has tons of cheap sunglasses, straw hats, gauzy coverups and cheap cotton tee shirts.....wouldn't they have some cheap gloves and hats and ear muffs there??? I don't want the "best" or stuff that will last...it only has to last a week

Thank you frediver

I did look at Bass Pro Outlet but that gear for hunting/fishing etc is expensive. Ski clothes are very expensive, I looked in a ski store

I am so puzzled to buy things online cause you have to "fit" things over each other, so I think I will need a "larger" outer layer, so it will fit over the other stuff

It is hard to justify spending top dollar on this stuff that will be worn for 7 days *(or 10 days, as I will be in Seattle 3 days)

I have been told to NOT bother with an umbrella. I saw "rain ponchos" by "Totes" here....I think that would be good??

I figure every port in the Caribbean/Bahamas/Mexico/Florida has tons of cheap sunglasses, straw hats, gauzy coverups and cheap cotton tee shirts.....wouldn't they have some cheap gloves and hats and ear muffs there??? I don't want the "best" or stuff that will last...it only has to last a week

Isn't it fun shopping for "Alaska clothes" when it is 80+ out!:D

I'm also in FL but we often vacation in the BlueRidge mountains so I have a little experience with the sort of temperatures we'll be dealing with. I always layer when we go there as I never know what to expect - my own little "heat waves" don't help either. This is what I'm planning to take (pretty much what I took to mountains at Thanksgiving - we had snow one day and I was fine):

polo shirts

sweat shirts

hoodie (light sweat shirt material)

light weight raincoat with hood

jeans & denim capri pants

running shoes

hat & gloves & scarf

The top layer doesn't have to be much larger to fit over that many layers. Some days I may have all 4 layers on to start the day and remove some as needed - I'll be carrying a small backpack in port to carry the unnecessary layers as well as other essentials. Since my polos are cotton I just have to remove layers before I start sweating a lot.

I'll probably buy a fleece jacket in Ketchikan (our first port) - souvenir & a substitute for sweatshirt or hoodie layer. Not sure what you'll find for hats & gloves if you wait til you get there. Check the closeout section in Target or Walmart for winter stuff - might still be some in our FL stores.

I'm taking long underwear top & bottom for Glacier Bay - but I already have it, not sure I'd buy just for a one week trip. I think an umbrella will be more bother than it's worth. We have inexpensive rain ponchos - probably similar to the Totes one you found - found in KMart or Target with the camping stuff - will keep them in the bottom of my backpack while in port just in case.

Try not to worry about what to wear - it will probably look like I've got the same thing on almost every day as only my polo shirt will change daily - the rest will be the same! I figure the scenery & wildlife will distract anyone from noticing my attire. :D

Having a small collapsible umbrella will be handy as long as the wind is not blowing, in a light breeze they are still ok. Remember a umbrella will keep rain off of you rather than just out of your eyes. The small collapsible ones are very inexpensive, take at least one. Yes they don't get much use but when you need one then nothing else will do. For gloves just go get some glove liners, no need for anything fancy try Wal-Mart in the hunting section, they normally have cheap poly liners. Wal-Mart and Target will have most of what you need.

With those inexpensive rain poncho's you might want to consider having a belt handy to hold poncho down, they blow in the wind.

Check out your local Wal-Mart, ours in N. FL has winter pull over hats/gloves on close-out for $3, saw them yesterday.

I was also going to suggest Walmart....Marshalls, TJMaxx and Ross for less also has fleece pullovers/t shirt,sweatshirts in Florida locations...usually cheaper than thrift stores. They go fast because snowbirds buy them up this time of year.

Hi....when people say "fleece" what do you mean?

A picture will only tell part of the story - as some brands/styles of fleece differ from others...

I hope this link works as it describes the differences.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/dc/484/Backcountry-Fleece-Jacket-Guide.html

for what it is worth, mine is wind proof & I am 90% satisfied with what I have put it through. (I'll be packing my rain coat for over - because wind proof is not wet proof, & an additional layer against the wind is a "good thing.")

I just bought a North Face 3 in 1 triclimate jacket. It's 2 jackets zipped together. The inner fleece jacket can be worn alone and the outer waterproof shell can be worn alone, or they can be worn together for a really warm jacket. So now I just have to worry about my base layer for every day. I found it on sale online for $150. We snow ski frequently, so it will get plenty of wear afterwards.

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/womens-boundary-triclimate-jacket_2.html?parent_category_rn=&cm_vc=Search

Living in Hawaii, we are also having trouble finding clothes to take on our Alaskan cruise this summer. I was able to find gloves in Target last week....on the clearance section for $1.00/pr. Also found a very cheap goofy hat that hopefully I won't need to wear....but at least I have it!!

I know I will have to buy a pair of closed shoes....probably tennis shoes. My husband owns a pair of Rockports, so he will wear them. (We only wear flip-flops over here) I am just starting to think about packing for this trip, so I will be keeping a close eye on these boards.

I was in Orlando last December. It was in the 30's during the day, and 20's at night. Being from the northeast, at least I had the appropriate clothes to pack and wear; I felt sorry for those in normally warmer climes who were caught unprepared.

Given the insane weather around the country lately, it seems that you may need those layers more often than you think!

I was in Orlando last December. It was in the 30's during the day, and 20's at night. Being from the northeast, at least I had the appropriate clothes to pack and wear; I felt sorry for those in normally warmer climes who were caught unprepared.

Given the insane weather around the country lately, it seems that you may need those layers more often than you think!

Orlando is different from South Florida...I personally would NOT venture there in the "winter"...too cold for me

They have more "seasonal" weather than we do

Also we are on the ocean so that keeps us "warmer"

Orlando has hotter summer days than us, more difference between day and night, and is colder in the winter

I found a jean jacket at a thrift shop and one of the sales clerk ( who turned out to be from Alaska) suggested that after I wash it - spray it down really well with the ScotchGard that is marked water resistant. She said it works pretty well and will help cut the wind also. I got it a little big so I can layer it over my lightweight thermal shirts and flannel shirts.

You would be amazed at how warm the thermals are when you put a flannel over it. With a fleece and then the jean jacket, a hat and gloves, you will be fairly warm.

I have the hardest time with my feet staying warm, and a friend told me about a brand called "SmartWool". They keep your feet warm and DRY - the socks wick the water away from your feet. Now I swear by them, and I don't wear any other brand.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Future Cruises – in planning stage:

September, 2012 - Alaska – Amsterdam - 14 day cruise (It’s back in the planning stage) :D

March - 2013 Panama Canal - - 28 day

September – 2013 – 14 day – Alaska

August – 2014 – Eastern Med – 28 days or one that will be cruising Black Sea

[quote name=sharecruises;32822685

I am pretty "messed up" here.....:eek::eek::eek: it is HOT today' date=' in the 80's and sun is pounding down.....

I really don't have any clothes for cold weather...[/quote]

Getting that warm in New Mexico too--we will be 80 later in the week! Most of my clothes are cotton and they do quite well when I visit the UK (which has a similar climate to where we will be in Alaska)--providing that I have a breathable waterproof outer jacket. You will have to buy some things -- I find the sizing at LL Bean to be consistently accurate for me and usually purchase through them. The athletic clothing sections at Walmart and Marshalls have great buys for this kind of trip. Hopefully you will have some time at your embarkation port to finish your shopping.

Some suggestions:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/69606?feat=69916-ppodxs&dds=y

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/71846?feat=507481-GN3

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/71458?feat=302-CL1

Thank you frediver

Department stores like JC Penny, Sears, Kohls & Macy's still have some clearance stuff left, I found shirts & fleeces for the hubby for anywhere from $5 to $11 each. (thrift store prices) Ordered some fleeces on line for $9 - $20 for me earlier during the clearance. Things are running low... but there still out there if you look... I ordered many things from Lands End too. You can order from Lands End on line and return to any Sears store for a refund.

Department stores like JC Penny, Sears, Kohls & Macy's still have some clearance stuff left, I found shirts & fleeces for the hubby for anywhere from $5 to $11 each. (thrift store prices) Ordered some fleeces on line for $9 - $20 for me earlier during the clearance. Things are running low... but there still out there if you look... I ordered many things from Lands End too. You can order from Lands End on line and return to any Sears store for a refund.

I was in KMart today and found lots of things like gloves and hats still available for 99c. I have some trouble with the consistency of LandsEnd sizes but if I read the reviews I do fine with them. I got my fleeces at Amazon for $18.

http://www.amazon.com/GSSGB-Ladies-Full-Zip-Anti-Pilling-Performance/dp/B00606NDCK/ref=sr_1_4?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1331585921&sr=1-4

THANK YOU!!!!

I came over to the section to look for suggestions for a hotel in Seattle, pre-cruise... but saw this thread!!! I will take it to heart and cut back on my list of clothes!!! We may be leaving 100 degrees ion Texas in May... but I can live with a jacket and sweater under it, in 60s-70s.

I did find some of the disposable foot and hand warmers in the camping section of WalMart yesterday for 99 cents for three pairs of them... I'm a sissy...

I am a BIG fan of packing light!

We are bringing carry-on size luggage bags only. One for each family member. My girls will pack all clothes in one, and my husband and I get one each. The 4th will be for camera items and outerwear for all of us - ponchos, gloves, sweaters, hats, and extra shoes.

Then we will each have a generous "personal item" - backpack for 3 of us for books, snacks, and vitals, and small garment bag for husband which will hold a few items for formal night.

We will carry-on on the way out (flying out of a small airport.. security is EASY to get through), and check the bags on the way back (freeing up a hand for another bag if needed due to trip purchases.)

Packing 1-2 pairs of pants, and 4-5 shirts each. I will launder and wear some items multiple days, and launder twice. "Doing laundry" is not a big deal when it's like 4 days worth of clothes. 1-2 loads for the whole family. I will do it once at our Vancouver hotel (after several days of exploring Vancouver and Seattle) the day before the cruise, and then a spot-load the evening after our 3rd cruise night. If absolutely necessary, I'll wash a few more items our last day at sea, but if I go home with reasonably clean clothes in my back and luggage full of dirty laundry, I'm good. :)

Another favorite packing tip - ROLL your clothes. Clothing packs much more compactly and is less wrinkled when you unpack.

Archived