Traveling with teenagers

Nessa1964

I will be traveling on Rhapsody of the seas in October 2012 with 2 teenagers 15 and 13 and would like to know if they are allowed to come and go as they please, or do I need to collect them as I really don't want them walking around the ship without me knowing where they are at all times. :)

I haven't sailed on RCI, but on HAL and Princess the teens can come and go as they please. Actually I think it was around age 10-12 that they could sign themselves in and out. Just because the ship allows this freedom doesn't mean you have to give this permission ;). Our DD does sign herself in and out, but she'll tell us "if we're not in the teen club, we'll either be in the buffet area or at the pool". I WILL check, and if she's not where she says she'll be, then she gets to hang out with her parents.:eek:

We also have certain rules, like don't go in anyone's room, and no one comes in ours. Get your own drinks, and do not leave your drinks unattended. The "friends" you just made are really strangers so always be aware. There are some threads with contracts that parents have set up for their teens.

On RCI, after 9 years old, they are allowed to come and go.....(there is a curfew at night, tho!)....

The best thing to do is allow them SOME freedom...but they HAVE to physically check in with you before going somewhere that isn't pre-planned. Tell them where you will be, and they must come and notify you when they go elsewhere.

There are really not that many areas that kids will find interesting. They'll spend alot of time at the pool, arcade, sports deck and buffet!

Teens tend to meet up at the club, and then take off on their own. Dd14 would just have to let us know where she was, and when she changed location (either with a post it, or in passing). I'd say good morning when I left the cabin to go to the pool, and we'd meet up with her before most dinners. I think the ship's curfew we were on was 1 am. The teens were usually on the pool deck - we did check on her.

Lol Tipping is my next worry, as I didn't pre-paid the tips. :confused:

Luckily they have a "plan." Stick with that (The "salary" if you can call it that is paltry at best & They have to buy their own uniforms, etc.) If you are very satisfied - give more.

Flame me now - I know tipping is a "hot" topic on cruise critic.

Luckily they have a "plan." Stick with that (The "salary" if you can call it that is paltry at best & They have to buy their own uniforms, etc.) If you are very satisfied - give more.

Flame me now - I know tipping is a "hot" topic on cruise critic.

thank you for all your help

Teens tend to meet up at the club, and then take off on their own. Dd14 would just have to let us know where she was, and when she changed location (either with a post it, or in passing). I'd say good morning when I left the cabin to go to the pool, and we'd meet up with her before most dinners. I think the ship's curfew we were on was 1 am. The teens were usually on the pool deck - we did check on her.

That was pretty much the situation with our girl who was 13 on our last cruise. The teens were usually in the pool are watching Movies under the Stars (for them, it was Movies under the sky:D). She also saw a lot of the shows (often the ones we missed she was able to fill us in on and vice versa). Usually they used the teen club to meet up with -- if the video games were taken up (we don't have game systems at home, my doing), she'll want to go elsewhere. Usually we had breakfast together, and a few lunches, and we would be together on port days (we had a lot more sea days on the two-week cruise but we love sea days on Princess). Sometimes we would run into her too. And yes, sometimes we would check up on her.;)

Lol Tipping is my next worry, as I didn't pre-paid the tips. :confused:

Not sure about that line, but on Princess, the tips are listed as hotel charges and are charged on a daily basis. Don't have to do anything and it's more convenient, IMO, than the olden days of stuffing envelopes on the last day. Now, we just decide which crew members to give extra tips for (meaning our cabin steward, the dining room waitstaff). And depending on how much our girl spent in the kids' program, we'll put some cash in an envelope with our girl's name on it and let her present to one of the staffers there. Else, porters when handing over our luggage at the pier and tour guides if we take a tour. If you check your cruiseline's website, there should be a FAQ that addresses tipping and other questions.

Archived