Staying in touch with family at home?

my3boysmom

What is the best way? I am concerned for a number of reasons, not the least is my 83 yo mother is not in good help. I am thinking of just "paying" to access email daily. Also, we are taking my sons friend and want to be able keep in touch with his mother.

Ideas? What have others done?

We use the internet and just pay the charge, if we have to. (We've sailed enough on Princess to get free internet). We have the same issues due to elderly parents that you do.

We have also at times used internet cafes in various ports that are much cheaper but not as convenient. Onboard internet charges are high and it's often slow, but it is worth the peace of mind.

What are your ports? There are many itineraries where you could get free/low cost Internet options that could keep you fairly well connected. If I recall correctly, there is also an emergency number for the ship that could be used to reach you in the event of an emergency.

E-mail is the cheapest option...it's not THAT expensive! Phoning via cell phone will depend on your plan, and the charge the ship will levy to access a signal.

There is an emergency number for each cruiseline, so if something should happen at home, someone can get in touch with YOU....that's probably the best option. Give them the number, and hope you don't get a call! Otherwise, just use the e-mail...it' will probably cost about $25-50 extra for a week, depending on how much you use it.

E-mail is the cheapest option...it's not THAT expensive! Phoning via cell phone will depend on your plan, and the charge the ship will levy to access a signal.

There is an emergency number for each cruiseline, so if something should happen at home, someone can get in touch with YOU....that's probably the best option. Give them the number, and hope you don't get a call! Otherwise, just use the e-mail...it' will probably cost about $25-50 extra for a week, depending on how much you use it.

thank you! I am not that concerned about TRUE emergencies. Just being able to know my mom is well and "friend" traveling with us - his family know all is good and we are having FUN! Email is our best option!

You might also look into the cost of texting from the various ports. We did this when we left the kids for our first cruise. We were able to check in but not pay a fortune ( we have Verizon and I think it was something like 05 cents to receive and 50 cents to send or something like that). Text were also more real time than email and we could do it while we were out and about.

What is the best way? I am concerned for a number of reasons, not the least is my 83 yo mother is not in good help. I am thinking of just "paying" to access email daily. Also, we are taking my sons friend and want to be able keep in touch with his mother.

Some ports have free WiFi ...

Which line are you sailing? Carnival allows free access to it's website and we have used the Currently Onboard forum many times to keep in touch.

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/20274.aspx

We set it up ahead of time. Like CC it is a public forum and all need to be registered and signed in to post.

Which line are you sailing? Carnival allows free access to it's website and we have used the Currently Onboard forum many times to keep in touch.

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/20274.aspx

We set it up ahead of time. Like CC it is a public forum and all need to be registered and signed in to post.

That is a great idea! Thanks!

Where are you cruising to? Alaska - you can use your cell phone in port!

Which Line? Carnival? You can use their funville online forum to e-mail back & forth for free - not private.

Archived