Adventure of the Seas or Celebrity Summit?

We are planning our January 2013 vacation and having a heck of a time deciding between the Adventure of the Seas (Aruba route) and the Celebrity Summit (Grenada/Dominica route). We would be newbies to both cruise lines (previously cruised Carnival and NCL). Both itineraries look great and include islands we have not been to. So now it comes down to which ship we may enjoy more. For those who may have traveled both lines, are there any features that out do each other with each ship (entertainment, sea day activities, staterooms, etc). I'm also posting this in Celebrity's forum too...Any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

In general terms - RCCL has a younger demographic - Adventure is a larger ship - more entertainment venues - nice promenade area with shops and dining - ice skating rink and ice show - lots to see an do - more night life options. Celebrity has a more mature demographic - good entertainment, food and service - slower pace - a bit more upscale and subdued.

The Southern Caribbean has some great ports - the Aruba itinerary usually has an extra sea day - the other is more port intensive.

My advise - take the cruise that fits your life style and what you want to get from your vacation. Both itineraries are super and both ships are great - you can't go wrong with either.

Enjoy whichever one you choose.....it is what you make it!!!!

A suggestion - get to San Juan a day earlier and enjoy the city and have no stress about missing the ship because of transportation delays!!!!

Totally agree with Cruise Wizard. Everything said is accurate. I prefer Adventure for it's promenade and I love the Aruba itinerary. It also depends on your mood. Sometimes I love the port intensive itinerary but Aruba usually wins out. They both have there plus's. Good luck on your choice.

Thank you for your responses. This is so tough! The worst thing I have read so far about the Adventure is the embarkation process and many of the other complaints are subjective. The Adventure seems to have the edge with entertainment and the promenade. How about sea day activities? My husband and I don't have children so kids activities aren't a factor. I haven't been able to find the Compasses for this itinerary. Do they offer wine and/or food seminars? Comedy shows in the evening?

Just came back from the Adventure (Barbados route) so we only had 1 sea day, but they jam packed everything in. The Aruba route has 2 sea days, so I'm sure they would space everything out more and even had a few extra activities that we missed. It is also nice to have the extra sea day to just relax.

As far as embarkation, we arrived to the ship rather late, around 2:30 and since we are diamond, we dropped our bags off and headed right inside, no security line and no line to check in. However, for first time guests, there was a small luggage dropoff line even at that time, but it looked like it moved pretty fast. And after that, you will sail right through security and check in.

They have a late night adult comedy show one evening, lots of game shows (Battle of the Sexes, Millionaire, Majority Rules, Liars Club), Karaoke almost every night, the Quest game show, Love and Marriage Show, Dancing Under the Stars with poolside buffet, 70s night in the Royal Promenade, so there is a lot to do in the evening. I'm not sure if they offer wine/food seminars as the Adventure does not have Vintages (the wine bar) in the Promenade, but instead has the Sports Bar. I do know however that one evening the sports bar had a tapas themed night.

AD was our first cruise..on the Aruba route...and it was wonderful..

I also loved summit..spent 3 weeks in a row...!! and she has all sorts of spiffy new upgrades...

i prefer the Aruba route's ports..not big on Grenada or Dominica, but that's just me....

can't remember much about AD-it was several years ago..I don't remember much about activities on Summit..for some reason i wound up sleeping..a lot.:o:rolleyes:

HOWEVER, there was always music someplace..and there are a number of activities involving officers...not always the captain, but sometimes..like 'dancing with the stripes' and a guest/officer slot tourney (it was FREE to enter..and i WON once...50 bucks, drink coupons and a nice shirt!!)

i would do either again...now if SUmmit did the Adventure's itin, i would do that....

as for boarding, didn't have trouble on Summit nor Serenade..(i did SR more recently than AD-i was so excited that i didn't pay attention to the boarding for Adventure......)

How is the pool area on the Adventure compared to the Summit? Typical "chair hog" issues or not a problem? I think my biggest hang up about the Adventure is the two sea days. I'm not a fan of sea days, the more ports the better, but not many go to Aruba and Curacao like the Adventure does.

Archived