Staying extra nights after the cruise

warmwinds

We usually fly straight home from a cruise, but this time we're thinking of adding on a few nights at a Ft. Lauderdale-area hotel.

Trying to decide if it's overkill, will we just want to get home after the cruise, or if you've done it and enjoyed extending your vacation.

Nothing wrong with extending the vacation. There are plenty of hotels along the Ft. Lauderdale beachfront that you could stay on the beach a few days after your cruise. I have done this myself to stay de-stressed after the cruise. I stayed at the Marriott Courtyard Ft. Lauderdale Beach.

We are doing it for the first time next month. Our hand was forced because we couldn't find flight out in the middle of the day. Either an 8:30am or 9:45pm, so we opted for an additional hotel night.We are staying pre/post cruise at the Westin Diplomat, should be fun.

We have stayed at the Diplomat in the past using Starwood points and it is a truly wonderful hotel...this time we don't have the points, and would have to pay for it...did you get a good rate?

We have stayed one night previously at the Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa in November, 2010. Booked on Hotwire and paid less that $100.00 a night including taxes. We are staying here also at the end of this month for 2 nights, also booked on Hotwire. $240.00 for 2 nights. A little more expensive, but after all it is March and not November. Still a great rate!!

Loved this place!!;)

We try to stay for a couple of days somewhere after the cruise each year. It kind of makes it a little easier to get off the ship! I love to know I have a couple more days at the beach before I have to go home.

We have stayed at the Lago Mar in Ft. Lauderdale twice. Very, very nice, and a great place to end the vacation. Beach is beautiful, rooms are great, and the food is good, too.

We try to stay for a couple of days somewhere after the cruise each year. It kind of makes it a little easier to get off the ship! I love to know I have a couple more days at the beach before I have to go home.

We have stayed at the Lago Mar in Ft. Lauderdale twice. Very, very nice, and a great place to end the vacation. Beach is beautiful, rooms are great, and the food is good, too.

Hi, I'm planning to stay either at Lago Mar (looking at 2 nights) with family of 4 post cruise. Is it really necessary to rent a car or can we walk to restaurants and sun trolley? If rent car, where is best place (cruising from Port Everglades) ? I've checked Expedia and they are all about $50/day. Thanks

We usually fly straight home from a cruise, but this time we're thinking of adding on a few nights at a Ft. Lauderdale-area hotel.

Trying to decide if it's overkill, will we just want to get home after the cruise, or if you've done it and enjoyed extending your vacation.

As we have gotten more into this cruising thing, there is nothing more enjoyable to us than either early arrivals or extended stays, especially in Florida. We have stayed in North Miami Beach and Cocoa Beach and are looking to doing it in Fort Lauderdale in October.

It is very helpful in getting into the swing of the warmer weather and the relaxed state of mind. Or it is very good at maintaining the mellow feel after cruising.

It is nice to get to a point in your life that you can extend vacations!:)

As far as "overkilll"....that sort of is a personal thing. We've done two week cruising with 2 or 3 days precruise and by the end of the cruise we are ready for home in a day or two. If just doing a week cruise, we always extend the trip to at least 12 days. Just adds to the vacation and we find it fun to add a land portion to explore and add more variety to our vacation.

I have never done Hotwire...do you book the Diplomat directly, or do you do the opaque, priceline-type way? I looked at better bidding, and it kept saying everything was very similar to the Dip and the Crowne Plaza across the street, which I would not want.

Last time we stayed at the Dip we used Starwood points which was great, this time we'll have to pay and it's quite pricey for our dates :(

I have never done Hotwire...do you book the Diplomat directly, or do you do the opaque, priceline-type way? I looked at better bidding, and it kept saying everything was very similar to the Dip and the Crowne Plaza across the street, which I would not want.

Last time we stayed at the Dip we used Starwood points which was great, this time we'll have to pay and it's quite pricey for our dates :(

I use Hotwire, I know the ammenities that the hotel is listed by. Let me know specifically when you want to stay and I'll check it out for you. Do it today or tomorrow by early afternoon please, as after that I will be MIA.:rolleyes:

The main identifier of this hotel in their description says "Resort and spa", not necessarily together.

Don't think I'm nuts, but it's not for over a year (a reason I'm also hesitant to do anything non-cancellable at this point). Dates would be April 14-17, 2013.

You're not nuts! Lots of us already have 2013 cruises booked.:D

We often stayed an extra night or two when we had teenagers and headed to Sawgrass mall. I actually hate shopping so we made a list of what each child needed for the next 6 months and got it all done in one swoop. Then, no need to enter a store or mall for a long time. Funniest was when we bought my daughter's winter boots in Florida. Of course they were on sale really cheap, not sure why they need winter boots in Florida.

Archived