YOUR FAULT CC!!! Steakhouse Info

cdamion

I have long disliked the entire idea of pay-per-eat on cruise ships, but I finally give up. Too much talk on here about the taste and service - I can't hold out anymore - gonna try it on Splendor.

The only question I have that I can't find via search is how much time to allow for the meal.

Two to two and a half hours and pace yourself! It is a tremendous amount of food from soup to nuts but you will enjoy and quality and presentation.

Can't wait to hear about it when you return!!!

We did it on the Dream as well. I don't remember how long we were there but it was worth it and I will do it again for sure!!! I could not finish all my food but I did order the HUGE porterhouse:)

The desserts were too die for! Ugh. I cannot wait to go again!!!!!

I have long disliked the entire idea of pay-per-eat on cruise ships, but I finally give up. Too much talk on here about the taste and service - I can't hold out anymore - gonna try it on Splendor.

The only question I have that I can't find via search is how much time to allow for the meal.

You won't be sorry. I promise :)

I agree with you 100%. It's one of the big things that is keeping me from NCL. Too MANY pay to eat places :p Like you, we finally caved and tried the steak house on the Miracle in December 2010. To die for!! You will so not be disappointed! In fact, we enjoyed it so much we were saddened to learn that the Victory, which we took in October 2011, doesn't have a steak house :( The Conquest does though, and it's up next month :D Can't wait! Enjoy your dinner--you will love it. I agree, it takes us 2-2 /2 hours as well.

It took us 11 cruises to try it. The food was wonderful. But even ordering the lighter selections on the menu it was way too much food and we were miserable afterward. Probably won't do it again. The ambience wasn't great either with odd music playing and other tables only about a foot away from hours. I'm the oddball, though. Everyone else seems to love it.

The meal lasted right about 2 hours.

We've never tried it but only because I hate to encouage them to charge for individual things, they just keep adding to it. I have heard people say they love it and people say it was not a big deal and they felt like they were paying twice for the same meal.

Thanks for all the replies!

I will definitely report back - I'm due for another photo review. Sometimes I do them, sometimes not.

I'm even toying with a 'live from'. We'll see if I want to do that again - I've only done it once a couple of years ago on Princess.

Do I need to reserve now, or can I wait until I am on board when I figure out a day to go? Does it tend to fill up?

I have booked in advance and I have booked same day on the ship without issue. If you know what night you plan to eat there go ahead and make a reservation. Or if you want to wait until your on the ship I am sure there will be a time they can seat you.

I'm not a "foodie" or a gourmet diner at all. I like good food and Carnival's MDR has always been just fine, however . . .

I put it off and put it off . . . until my last cruise, on the SPLENDOR about a year ago. TERRIFIC ! ! Don't even remember what I ordered, now. Took maybe 2 1/2 hours. My cruisemate, a good friend, insisted we go. We're both contractors (same trade) and have similar tastes. So, I thought if he'd like it I probably would also. So we went. Really enjoyed it.

The wine was terrific, Opus I. ;) Had no idea what it cost until after the meal. Holy Rich Contractor, Batman ! :eek: Steve knows his wines (spent some time educating the wine steward) The service was exemplary. Even had a magician entertain us for some time. He was very good. And the deserts . . . . I thought chocolate melting cake was the creme de la creme. NOT TRUE. See the chocolate deserts in my webshots. Absolutely Fabulous ! !

You won't be disappointed, cd. :)

It took us 11 cruises to try it. The food was wonderful. But even ordering the lighter selections on the menu it was way too much food and we were miserable afterward. Probably won't do it again. The ambience wasn't great either with odd music playing and other tables only about a foot away from hours. I'm the oddball, though. Everyone else seems to love it.

The meal lasted right about 2 hours.

Not everyone. To us, it was too intrusive. Serve our meals, leave us alone. Every time we turned around, there was a server there asking us how we liked every bite. Several times the server would bring out some concoction that the chef had whipped up for us to try. A minute later they were back out asking how we liked it. Filet of sprouts on a bent spoon doesn't even appeal to me.

If you're in to a full scale production for a meal, you probably will enjoy it. If you just want to eat a meal, stick with the MDR.

We held out for a long time, but finally decided to try it.

Yes, the food was good, but we truly missed not eating in the MDR. The filet was nice, the lobster huge (disappointed reading some now get two smaller served to them........personally I would refuse to be insulted like that), as well as a Porterhouse for my then 6 year old, who we gladly helped her finish.

Yet the standout for the evening was the dessert. That really shouldn't have been our "takeaway".

Entire meal took 2 hours, and at times, I thought it might have been easier for our servers just to sit at the table with us. I almost asked one to please leave us alone!

We were glad we tried it, but would probably never repeat it until they start serving Sloppy Joes and Tacos in the MDR.

Entire meal took 2 hours, and at times, I thought it might have been easier for our servers just to sit at the table with us. I almost asked one to please leave us alone!

We were glad we tried it, but would probably never repeat it until they start serving Sloppy Joes and Tacos in the MDR.

MrPete, I'm happy to see we aren't the only ones that were put off by the wait staff constantly bugging us.

Archived