Budget Queen - please review

cocobeen

Hi, BQ - I've started a rough post-cruise plan based on advice you've previously given me. I want to book excursions asap so I'd like to run my schedule by you in case I'm underestimating time needs. I have a couple extra days avail at the end before we fly back. It's just my parents (65 & 70, healthy but not overly active) & me (mid-30s). Thank you for your time & input.

8/13 - Ship arrives Whittier early AM. Commute (taxi or rental ?) to Seward. Do Kenai boat tour (@5hrs). Possibly see Exit Glacier. Stay overnight.

14th - Glacier dog sledding in Seward!! 6pm train to Anchorage. (unfortunately can't spare another night in Seward b/c we're getting my sister back to Anchorage). If possible, pick up rental car in Anchorage this night or next morning.

15th - Anchorage day. Not sure what to do yet. Sister has 5pm flight. Parents & I hotel there.

16th - Drive Anchorage to Talkeetna. McKinley flightseeing. Hotel in Talkeetna.

17th - Drive Talkeetna to Denali. Hotel near Denali entrance.

18th - Tundra tour of Denali. Hotel again in Denali

19th - Drive Denali to Fairbanks. Not sure what we're doing. Hotel in Fairbanks.

20th - Day in Fairbanks. Hotel in Fairbanks.

21st - Start driving back to Anchorage. Not sure what city to stop/hotel

22nd - Not sure where to stop/hotel.

23rd - 5pm flight from Anchorage

Thanks again, BQ ! :)

From Whittier- I would consider an Avis rental car, with pick up shortly after they open at 8am- I believe? With your parents, this would be easier and more comfortable then having to rely on other transportation. It will give you direct access to your Seward touring and make the best use of time. Verify the tunnel schedule and get out at the next opening. I would consider the 3pm Kenai Fjords tour, since the mid day ones would be too tight in my opinion. You would have time for Exit Glacier before most likely. The second day- you'll have time also for a look around town.

I would then drop off the Avis car that night- or by your pick up time the next morning and pick up a cheaper round trip Anchorage car. Compare costs - especially is the savings are significant, if not keep the Avis car.

Plenty to do in Anchorage- request their visitor guide, http://www.anchorage.net

I do have one suggestion- I NEVER recommend the Tundra Wilderness tour for INDEPENDENT visitors. Superior and 1/3 the cost is the shuttle to Fish Creek. Pick up your "groceries" on the way up the Parks BY Wasilla- your last chance for major and varied stores.

In Fairbanks- the Alaska U is a highlight- consider the botanical gardens and a look at the Musk Oxen. :) Request their visitor guide http://www.explorefairbanks.com

I would make a repeat stop back in Talkeena on the way back, unless you want more Denali Park activities? There is nothing much in the way of lodging between the two areas. Another option- if you want a scenic drive- go in a loop and return from Fairbanks via the Richardson and across the Glenn. Sheep Mt. is a very nice lodge, or Copper Center Roadhouse. again, limited lodging options. Then a day of driving across the Glenn with a stop in Palmer?

You have a nice spaced out plan and plenty of time. :) Consider perhaps a stay on your visit in a B&B, if of interest. I think your parents- and you would really like the experience and personal connections with locals. :)

Archived