If you're over 40 & love Carnival.....

arby70

I was just looking over the Carnival board as I have been spending more time on NCL due to my fall trip. I plan on taking a Carnival trip as well in the future. I am not sure if I will ever stay totally dedicated to one cruise line since I do have to watch for bargains. I will be anxious to try the "Freestyle" cruising, but also enjoyed the assigned dining on Celebrity. I have seen mixed reviews on both NCL and Carnival especially. It just seems to depend on which board you look at. I do believe the dining on most cruiseships (the dining rooms themselves) is much more upscale than I am used to in my daily life. I'm sure the food will not be an issue, do you think? I know that the cabins on Carnival seem to be a bit bigger than most of the other lines, and that seems like a plus. I'm sure that Carnival has a bit of a younger crowd, but many cruise lines seem to draw a younger generation. I guess that's my biggest "concern" though, being that I am a "50 something" gal. Any other people out there 40 plus that have fallen in love with Carnival and if so, what are the winning points for this cruise line? :)

I have always loved Carnival. I like the noise,action and just like to have fun. I have been on other cruise ships where there is an older crowd--sometimes it is so boring (except for the ports) that I wish the cruise away. That is sad.

Just went again on the Holiday--was a judge for the hairy chest contest and loved it up there against the young ones.

I am 41.

Ok, I'm 42 and my wife is 57. (Yes, 15 years difference...) Both of us love Carnival. There's always a ton of things to do while on board. It's called the "Fun Ship" line for a reason. On any give day you can have an ice carving demonstration to a men's hairy chest contest to midnight mexican buffet to a ballroom dance class. Coupled with outstanding service and very good to excellent food, Carnival is definitely far better than people realize.

So you have 2 people here who are 40+ who probably won't sail away from Carnival. ;)

I'm 47 and my husband is 60 (I can't believe I'm telling that!). We love Carnival. Yes, there is a party atmosphere...especially during spring break. I would never cruise during spring break. But we do like to have fun! The thing about Carnival is that you can get involved in the totally party atmosphere, or they have many things to do for the "older" crowd. Or....you can do nothing at all! It's all up to you!

We are both in our 40's (early) but started cruising Carnival in our late 30's . WE were worried about the same thing...wondering if we were "to old" but in some sense knew that the other lines might make us to young. I know I know... anyway we are going on number 4 in two weeks with Carnival and wouldn't change a thing. We always find things to do for our age group. They shows are great, we love the newlywed game, etc. Teh bars taht gear towards our age usually are fun. I wouldn't change a thing

We are going on our first Carnival cruise on the Victory, May 8th after having just cruised NCL in the past. We really liked Freestyle. We chose Carnival this time because we are bringing my 22 y/o son and his 19 y/o wife and thought they would have a better time because it is a "Fun Ship". I'll let you know after we get back which one I prefered. I learned long ago that you can't go by everything you read. I almost cancelled my cruise on the Norway because of all the negative reviews and that was my favorite ship of all. May she rest in peace.

DSM711

NCL Sky 01/02

NCL Norway 04/03

NCL Sun 01/04

Carnival Victory 05/05

I'm 50+ and I enjoy Carnival. But I also like Celebrity, Disney, NCL and RCCL. Give me ANY cruise and ANY vacation and I will be very happy!! We're cruising on the Carnival Pride in 2 weeks. The reason we are on Carnival is that it is my Parent's VERY favorite cruise line - they are 78 and 80 years old. So it is fun for all ages.

I read somewhere once that the shorter trips are Carnival (less than 7 days) are the ones that can get a little out of hand. We've never experienced any problems (even during March last year) on the 7 day Carnival cruises.

Diane

I was just looking over the Carnival board as I have been spending more time on NCL due to my fall trip. I plan on taking a Carnival trip as well in the future. I am not sure if I will ever stay totally dedicated to one cruise line since I do have to watch for bargains. I will be anxious to try the "Freestyle" cruising, but also enjoyed the assigned dining on Celebrity. I have seen mixed reviews on both NCL and Carnival especially. It just seems to depend on which board you look at. I do believe the dining on most cruiseships (the dining rooms themselves) is much more upscale than I am used to in my daily life. I'm sure the food will not be an issue, do you think? I know that the cabins on Carnival seem to be a bit bigger than most of the other lines, and that seems like a plus. I'm sure that Carnival has a bit of a younger crowd, but many cruise lines seem to draw a younger generation. I guess that's my biggest "concern" though, being that I am a "50 something" gal. Any other people out there 40 plus that have fallen in love with Carnival and if so, what are the winning points for this cruise line? :)

Arby . . . I too am a fifty-something gal and I'll be taking my first cruise on Carnival next Saturday. This will be my second cruise alone (first was on Celebrity and I had a ball). Promise to write a review on upon my return . . . ;)

Hubby and I are both in our mid-40's (although he starting to push the envelope towards the late-40's) and we are really looking forward to our cruise in 4 weeks. He's never cruised and I've been on 8, mostly RCCL. We chose Carnival because there are so many activities for us to do (or not do) and we have heard such wonderful reviews about Carnival lately. And on my last RCCL, I felt they were slipping a little on the quality. I'll write a review when I return...

Oh, and Happy Anniversary to Pete!

June

I'm 46 and my wife is 39 ( and has been for 3 years now). We love Carnival though we aren't opposed to trying other lines. We like the cabin size, food, and entertainment.

We don't do a lot of the shipboard activities choosing to sit and read.

The nice thing about a cruise is that you can do as much or as little as you want.

There are people who like and dislike many cruise lines. Some of these beefs are legitimate and usually the result of one bad experience on one cruise or the fault of expectations for say a Seabourn experience on a ship that charges 1/3 of their charges. If you go expecting super luxury and indivially prepared meals on Carnival, RCI even Celebrity or Princess you will be dissapointed. They just have too many passengers for that.

All that said I am 41 and love Carnival. I have never seen more partying there than RCI and have also sailed Princess and had a good experience there. I did not feel old or out of it or like I was sailing on a ship of young hotties and I was a fillet long past my prime. I had fun, but then again I can and do have fun at funerals.

Carnival's food is good, not extraordinary, but a strong point with the line. I prefer RCI's entertainment, but that is a personal choice that others will not agree with. I expect, and get, good banquet hall fare that is fresh and appealing. I have not been dissapointed on any of the lines I have sailed. I expect my drinks strong without making me gasp and weak is not something I tolerate. I have never sent a drink back. I expect my room clean and my room attendant to smile at me when they run into me and to make an effort to meet me before tip night and I have not been dissapointed there either.

I expect to be taken care of on the level of a good Hilton for Carnival and RCI and a Hyatt for Princess. I do not expect a small luxury hotel with butler service and again, I have never been dissapointed. I am also very "go with the flow" when problems happen.

If you can see yourself like me then you will really enjoy a Carnival Cruise. You will find their people warm but not effusive, the food excellent but not 4star and their shows good and entertaining but not Vegas. Which is fine. If I want those things I elect another venue.

Well, I am 44, my husband is 49, and my sister is 45. We along with my younger sister and her husband who are in their thirties all enjoy sailing Carnival. We also have children who have sailed with us who are in their early twenties. What we like most about sailing with Carnival is that no matter the age group there is something for everyone. I am a true advocate that a cruise is what YOU make it. I think Carnival gets such a bad rap sometime, but really and truly I think if you look for things to go wrong inevitably they will.

I love Carnival, I too have been on the NCL board lately due to my Dawn cruise in a month. That board is just do slow not as many post, I miss that! LOL

I'm 46 my mother is 67 and we cruise together and love Carnival, love RCCL and loved the NCL SEA and I'm sure we will even like the Dawn better. We also loved our Disney cruises.

You will not feel at of place on CCL.

and I have been on many different cruise lines. NCL, Princess,HAL.....and on

I like Carnival for all of the night activity, and variety of folks you meet. If I want straight up relaxation, elegance, and to go to bed early, I might be on another line, but when I want to have a fun time, and relax too, I pick Carnival.

Hard to describe it exactly, but I guess I would say its more upbeat environment.

I have ONLY sailed on Carnival, 4x! and I love it. I took my 1st two cruises on Carnival and opted for their "single share" program and both times it worked out fine. Third cruise was me and 3 girlfriends, 4th cruise, just a few weeks ago was me and my SO. I am 52 and he is 50 and we both loved it. There is so much to do and you just pick and choose what you'd like and leave the rest.

We are already looking into booking for 2006 on Carnival.

I'd say that the crowd on our latest cruise was mixed, couples and many families with the age bracket being 40 and up for the majority. We sailed on the Inspiration this time out of Tampa.

Holiday -

Imagination

Sensation

Inspiration 4/05

All of us in our cruise group are in our late 40's........

We've sailed Carnival many times and had a great time......... Remember the Carnival "party till you drop" theme has long passed. Many many families and passengers of all ages who want to have a good time sail Carnival.

Enjoy :D

I'm a zesty 65 and love Carnival. Look at my cruise history. Divorced some time ago, so have cruised half of them solo.

Love the "FUN ships". Always something to do. Always meet people my age and younger. Enjoy them both. Sometimes I just sit on the Lido deck and watch the sea, or read, and, yes, have even brought work with me! :eek: Can't beat the great food, excellent service, terrific shows and entertainment, and all the hoopla of a Carnival cruise. Love to dance, and being surrounded with old-time "rock'n'rollers" like myself on the disco floor is certainly a treat.

Always cruise "off season" so can't speak for Spring break or the summer family cruisers.

Not ready for the "blue hairs" on HAL yet. Or the Celebrity snobs. Just like plain ordinary folk having a great time.

Happy Anniversary, Pete.

I agree that you'll be fine cruising "over 40" on Carnival. Our 6/27 Sensation cruise will be our 3rd in our 40's on Carnival. We also cruised on RCCL, which is fairly similar to Carnival in terms of extent of party atmosphere--as another poster pointed out. I'm 49 and my wife is 47, and Carnival just seems right for us.

Archived