Shearton FL Beach or Westin Beach Resort FL?

rayzerli

Hello, I have enough points to select one of these hotels for 2 nights. Travelling with family of 4 and no car rental (planning on sun trolly and water taxi). I've read some good and bad reviews on both hotels via Trip Advisor. Can anyone vouch which is better in terms of service, beach, and transport ? We prefer to not eat in hotels and don't mind going to Las Olas to visit on one of the days. Thanks

I stayed at the Westin...it was fine..opposite the beach...you can just go out and flag down the sun trolley...i had a rental car so i didn't have to worry about that stuff...but if i went back, i'd skip it. (they only have valet parking and it can take forEVER to get the car..)

It's a nice enough hotel...service was decent....and if Michele the bartender is still there, she makes great drinks (she used to work at another hotel and can mix 100 different martinis, but i digress..)

The rooms were good sized, but they were a little, hmm, can't think of the words..minimalistic for me? No, maybe a little too 'trendy'....can't put my finger on it...again, it wasn't bad..and the photos DO look like the rooms (i lost my pix somehow..)

As for the Sheraton, it was redone totally but it is an older hotel ...if you can swing the points, i'd do the Westin-especially if the 2 hotels are the same category...

Westin is a closer walk to the main commercial area of the beach. Both are accessible to the same bus, water taxi, and suntrolley. Sheraton is actually on the beach but your hotel points might just get you across the street anyway. Personally, I would choose Westin.

thank you just booked Westin! now, looking for good, fresh seafood resto (not too expensive) and any recommended places to eat (no chains please) for steak, sushi, and anything special in Florida (we're from Cincinnati) : )

thank you just booked Westin! now, looking for good, fresh seafood resto (not too expensive) and any recommended places to eat (no chains please) for steak, sushi, and anything special in Florida (we're from Cincinnati) : )

Lots of great info about the Westin here.

I trust FlyerTalk much more than Tripadvisor. No shills at FT.

I'm also a Starwood member and have stayed at the Westin, W and Hollywood Diplomat.

Both the W and Hollywood Diplomat are great properties but require a lot of points for a free stay. Sometimes they have cash and points deals that can't be beat. Keep an eye out as cash and points are not always offered and can appear anytime. Only downside to the W is that they charge $35 (ouch) to valet park - no self park at the W.

Be sure to each lunch at the Casablanca Cafe.

moderately priced seafood: Lulu's Bait Shack (really casual, moderate to inexpensive), Coconuts (waterfront), 15th St Fisheries (a short taxi or water taxi ride, the outdoor deck is fun and very casual)

Steak: 954 Steak (expensive), Chima Brazilian (expensive, a short taxi ride), Chuck's Steakhouse (a short taxi ride, outdated casual steakhouse with salad bar)

Sushi: nothing I would recommend near the hotel.

Other: I love Casablanca Cafe, a couple of blocks from the Westin. About a mile south is Bahia Cabana. It's a grubby old place on a marina but it's a very casual classic with good enough food and a DJ some evenings.

thank you everyone for your input, this is our very first trip to Fort Lauderdale and I want to make it memorable (the good memories) so planning as much as possible. will be cruising out via Liberty of the Seas to Labadee and Falmouth, gonna start reading the ports of calls and see what excursions to do.

thank you everyone for your input, this is our very first trip to Fort Lauderdale and I want to make it memorable (the good memories) so planning as much as possible. will be cruising out via Liberty of the Seas to Labadee and Falmouth, gonna start reading the ports of calls and see what excursions to do.

LOS is a great ship and Fort Lauderdale is a fun place! I'm sure that you will have a great trip whatever you plan or don't plan.

I forgot to say there is Shula's steakhouse in the Westin but I haven't eaten there or heard anything good or bad about it. 954 Steak at the W is very popular as is Rare on Las Olas. They are all expensive. Chuck's is not expensive but it seems that it mostly attracts tourists and older adults...it's a chain but there are only a few of them.

Archived