life boat drill

turbot72lou

after the costa cruise line accident, do they now make you take your life jackets again?

Not as of last week on the Magic, and we didn't even have to do the sardine lineup out on deck 4. My muster station was the upper level of the forward dining room.

Everyone did seem to be paying attention though.

after the costa cruise line accident, do they now make you take your life jackets again?

What does taking a life jacket to a safety drill have to do with anything that happened on Costa?

We were on the Paradise a few weeks ago. The big difference that I noticed was that the captain came on the PA and asked us to go to the Muster Drill. Before it was the cruise director telling you to go. Somehow when the captain spoke it made it seem more important. Also people seemed to be paying attention more. No lifejackets needed.

Last week on Valor, no life jacket had to be taken. Complete silence before they would start, and no drinks in hand, they took drinks away, and gave them right back after they finished. It was also a B2B for us, on the second journey, we were not allowed to just stay in the cabin had to go, no problem for us, we did not mind. Everyone was very respectful of the process no complainers.

We did have one woman faint during the process, diabetic, some orange juice and she was back up in no time.

What does taking a life jacket to a safety drill have to do with anything that happened on Costa?

Maybe so you know where it is and know how to actually put it on yourself, not that this directly has anything to do with Concordia though..

I was on the Triumph earlier this month and the muster was a joke. We did not have to take our life jackets and it took a bit of search for me to even find them. (I'm used to seeing them in a closet. They were in the storage bin in the room where we were putting our suitcases at the time. Although the newsletter in the room mentioned the drill began at 4pm, there was no announcement over the PA, so folks were still milling around the ship after 4pm. The lines were haphazard and there were people talking and babies crying while the crew was trying to give the demo.

I definitely mentioned this in detail to Carnival when I evaluated the cruise upon its completion.

I did too, we just got off the Glory and I found the muster to be very disorganized. People were there with drinks and talking on their phones and I looked around and tried to imagine them all in a panic and it was scary. No one seemed to be in charge, they had some young crew members demonstrating the life jackets but until the CD came on the pa system no one was paying attention. They said they had 2000 first time cruisers and that means 2000 people not knowing how to put on a life jacket or what life boat they should head to. I don't have a solution and you'd think the Concordia would be enough to get people to pay attention.

I did too, we just got off the Glory and I found the muster to be very disorganized. People were there with drinks and talking on their phones and I looked around and tried to imagine them all in a panic and it was scary. No one seemed to be in charge, they had some young crew members demonstrating the life jackets but until the CD came on the pa system no one was paying attention. They said they had 2000 first time cruisers and that means 2000 people not knowing how to put on a life jacket or what life boat they should head to. I don't have a solution and you'd think the Concordia would be enough to get people to pay attention.

Wow, that's pretty scary.. Concordia proved this sort of thing is super important and STILL this kind of nonsense, amazing to me. Concordia would have been catastrophic had she been in deeper water, loss of life easily in the 100's or higher.

People need to take responsibility for their own safety and the crew/cruise lines need to demand the attention and focus of every passenger, no exceptions.

Dear zqvol,

You may have in excess of 10,000 posts on this board but in the short time that I have spent enjoying various conversations, you stand out as being someone who is full of sarcasm and who increases his/her post count by being critical of other peoples' comments. In fact, you appear to me as someone who tries to bully others with your posts. If you don't have something either pleasant or constructive to add, why don't you keep your sarcastic comments disguised as questions to yourself. On the other hand, if you could use your vast cruising experience to enhance what's on this board and maybe even help by answering someone's question, you could be a more valuable resource to those who come here to enhance their cruising experience.

Dear zqvol,

You may have in excess of 10,000 posts on this board but in the short time that I have spent enjoying various conversations, you stand out as being someone who is full of sarcasm and who increases his/her post count by being critical of other peoples' comments. In fact, you appear to me as someone who tries to bully others with your posts. If you don't have something either pleasant or constructive to add, why don't you keep your sarcastic comments disguised as questions to yourself. On the other hand, if you could use your vast cruising experience to enhance what's on this board and maybe even help by answering someone's question, you could be a more valuable resource to those who come here to enhance their cruising experience.

I agree 100%

I don't understand how anyone could take this question lightly and even be critical of the question. My family and I have been on several cruises with Costa and on every one we were required to wear our life jackets to our muster station on the boat deck. It sucked yes, but if it could have saved only 1 life by making sure everyone knows where the life jackets are and how to properly wear them, then it is well worth the bother to all of the cruisers who have been on multiple cruises and already know where they are and what to do with them. Yes I do understand that the Concordia had not had their muster drill, but we never know when the next Concordia will occure. Another point a lot of people pass over or ignore is the fact that there are many small children on these cruise ships. If you did not know even where to find your jackets at all, how could you make sure there were enough of the smaller jackets for the smaller cruisers. So for the sake of all those who have never been to a muster drill and have no idea what one is, as I did not until after my first, have some patience and trust that one saved life is much more important than that mohito or hurricane on the lido deck.

Archived