What's the best souvenir?

I'manewbie

We're beyond excited to be heading off on the Star in a little more than 2 weeks! Older son is in a relationship and we've learned from past vacations that much time is spent searching for the best souvenir. Considering the ports of call - Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel - what would be a nice (but not too pricey) gift for a 20 yo young lady? Is there one port that is better for shopping than the others? I'd rather spend my time and money on other pursuits, so I want to make quick work of this :rolleyes:. Thanks!

If you dock right downtown in Cozumel, shopping begins right off the pier and extends for several blocks to the left and inland a couple of blocks. There's a plaza a couple of blocks to the left with more shops back around it. Right off the pier is an elevated crossover you must proceed though before going back to street level on the other side of the main street. That initial mall in the crossover has some nice shops. However, save them for last as the shops back down at street level are generally less expensive. Cozumel generally has friendly merchants with not too much agressiveness trying to get you into their shops. I like Cozumel.

If you're shopping in any of these places, remember that bargaining is part of it. Don't accept the first price. Start to walk away and you'll almost always get offered a second, lower price. It's a buyer's market, you've got the power of the wallet or purse!

What does she like? Find something you know she already likes, but this will be from one of the port cities.

Also, a lot of women are collect Pandora, Troll or other charm bracelets. There has to be a shop somewhere down there that would sell them.

Best of luck

Thanks for the suggestions! I have only met the young lady through skype - so I don't know her well - apparently things are progressing rapidly and considering he will be out of touch for long periods of time that week - I 'm sure we will be shopping for a special gift. Earrings are nice (if her ears are pierced) and easy to pack! Wish me luck - I don't want to spend the week with a lovesick son!

Well, I always pick up a small piece of jewelry, usually a ring or a pendant. I got both in Cozumel one year! You can get some really nice buys...

I agree. DH bought me a beautiful necklace in Cozumel and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Don't forget postcards. A unique shell found on the beach. Have him write their names in the sand and take a picture to send to her. A shawl she doesn't need to wear but can drape over a sofa or chair.

I was going to say a sweet bundle you enjoy nine months later, but then

I finished reading your post. :)

I tend to get magnets for the fridge for all the places we have been.

As well as sending home a postcard from each destination.

Lastly we also get ornaments for the tree.

Hi,

We did this itinerary twice in 2011. My daughters really liked a store in the upper level of the Roatan port area, just off the ship. They had some really nice locally dyed and made clothing--wrap sarongs and scarfs and nice mahogany boxes. There is also a nice local art/craft store in the small building on the left--more expensive, but quality things. Cozumel has some nice carved painted wooden animals and small colorful beaded boxes--liked the selection in Los Cincos Sols. Have fun on your trip.

Of all the Star ports, I thought Costa Maya (actually Mahahual) had the best prices and some unique items. I bought a wide, bangle type bracelet made from a bulls horn with shell dust inlay from one of the shops on the Mahahual Malecon. It's really unique, and beautiful. It's easy to shop there too if you're enjoying the beach as all the shops are located with 30 feet or so of the beach. I enjoy talking to the store owners and working them down on price. They expect it and it's a fun experience. :)

We're beyond excited to be heading off on the Star in a little more than 2 weeks! Older son is in a relationship and we've learned from past vacations that much time is spent searching for the best souvenir. Considering the ports of call - Roatan' date=' Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel - what would be a nice (but not too pricey) gift for a 20 yo young lady? Is there one port that is better for shopping than the others? I'd rather spend my time and money on other pursuits, so I want to make quick work of this :rolleyes:. Thanks![/quote']

In roatan, go to west beach, bring a banana,swim a few feet to the reef, with snorkel gear of course. Peel back the banana and the most beautiful fish will come. Just did this in feb, a nice gift. Also, locals sell beautiful large shells on the beach. Just an idea? Better than the bling maybe?

Costa Maya port has nice silver jewellery stores.

Our fave store in Cozumel is the first store on the left when exiting the security guard area upstairs - it is fairly large with good souvenirs and lovely silver (small area but very nice pieces). I have bought several pieces of silver jewellery from that store only during our last 3 visits to Cozumel. The women salespersons wear long white dress and are very nice and helpful.

Maybe a very nice funky pendant on a chain for your DIL ;).

In Roatan you'll dock in Coxen Hole. Right across the street from the pier is a great market. We found many unique hand carved things made out of local wood. I've brought salad bowls sets for less than $30.00.

Down the street to the right you'll find made in Roatan, a selection made by local artists http://made-in-roatan.com/ , will give you a preview and you will support the local economy.

Don't forget postcards. A unique shell found on the beach. Have him write their names in the sand and take a picture to send to her. A shawl she doesn't need to wear but can drape over a sofa or chair.

I love your ideas!

~Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived