When in various ports, do you consider it poor form, etiquette,...

picklebongo

to take locals pictures without first asking their permission? I know there are folks who dress in native clothes and have tip containers for tourists to take pictures, but what about average citizens?

Do you consider it rude to ride by in a bus taking photos of people or ambling along snapping away at children, families and such?

In the background, no. A closeup or picture of a child or family as the subject, yes, I'd consider it rude not to ask permission.

I know I wouldn't be thrilled if someone just walked up to me on the sidewalk somewhere and started snapping up close pictures. I'd probably call the police.

In the background, no. A closeup or picture of a child or family as the subject, yes, I'd consider it rude not to ask permission.

I know I wouldn't be thrilled if someone just walked up to me on the sidewalk somewhere and started snapping up close pictures. I'd probably call the police.

I agree.

I think it is intrusive to take photos of private citizens.

Especially children.

But that's my question, what if they were the subject, do you think it's acceptable for folks to just randomly take folks pictures without asking their permission?

I never really thought about it, but yes, I would say that would be rude.

Would you want someone coming into your town and taking random pictures of you and your children without asking? Yes, it would be VERY rude. In some cultures they very much don't like having their pictures taken. They think that it steals their souls to take their pictures, so you also need to be respectful of that.

I think it is inappropriate to take photos of anyone outside of your friends and family without seeking permission first if they are the subject of the photos and not just incidental background. As a parent, I know I would seriously object to a stranger photographing my child.

I agree with if they are in the background it's okay,,but of in individual I ask. Jsut like I would not like someone taking my picture without asking. NOw if they jump into the picture that you are taking then it's on them.

I have a picture of my DW under a waterfall fountain at Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen that a little Danish girl wandered into the shot. MAde the picture better but not in my control.

to take locals pictures without first asking their permission? I know there are folks who dress in native clothes and have tip containers for tourists to take pictures, but what about average citizens?

Do you consider it rude to ride by in a bus taking photos of people or ambling along snapping away at children, families and such?

I think it partially depends on the culture and norms of the location. I lived in Turkey for 2 years, not many people there have an appreciation of having their photos taken at random.

Yes and no. If it was a profile shot just to capture life in general and they are part of the scene I think its fine. Them looking right at the camera? I wouldnt do it.

But that's my question, what if they were the subject, do you think it's acceptable for folks to just randomly take folks pictures without asking their permission?

No. It's not acceptable, and you could get into trouble.

Not rude at all. Have always done it and will continue to do so.

In the caribbean just put a dollar in their hand and they will go get the rest of the family for you.

And the stereotype of the "ugly American" is alive and well. :rolleyes:

Archived