When in various ports, do you consider it poor form, etiquette,...

picklebongo

Of course it'd be rude! They're human beings, not tourist props to gawk at. Many people will be offended by that, and in some cultures, worry about their soul being stolen or copied. Plus, in some cases, it can threaten the safety of the camera, or worse, the picture-taker. Of course, if the people happen to be just walking by in the background, then no problem; it's no different than Google StreetView.

Exceptions to this would be people that are somehow performing for the pubic, like a mariachi band or costumed street actors. If they're choosing to perform for the public, it's an implied consent to being photographed, unless they put up a clear "No Photos" sign.

I've seen plenty of tourists do just that in Pennsylvania and the Mid West to Amish and Mennonite people. Quite rude. Always ask.

I was traveling through Pennsylvania and stopped somewhere. There was the horse and buggy 'parked' at the store with 3 Amish kids sitting inside waiting for somebody in the store. Two carloads of people pulled up, walked up to the buggy and started taking pictures of them without even asking. They were also standing there talking about them as if they were Disney animatronics or something. So so tacky and rude - they were 3 feet away taking pictures like they were animals at the zoo.

Beyond the question of whether it's rude point a camera at someone you don't know and start snapping photos, there are potential legal issues regarding how you use the photo or "likeness" of another. Granted, these may never amount to much because you're dealing with laws of various state and national jurisdictions and how they interplay, and it isn't likely that a local living in Roatan will know you put their photo on your Facebook page.

In a nutshell, if you publish a person's face or likeness without permission -- and if it does not fall under the heading of "news" -- then you may be in violation of the law. If you post a photo of a person who did not give you permission, and particularly if it is intended to mock or insult that person (say because of weight, or wrinkles, or unflattering bikini), you may have crossed multiple legal lines. And if you make money off a photo of a person without a model's release or contract -- for example, snapping a shot of a cute native family on a mountain road for a travel advertisement -- then you're risking a lawsuit.

The same is true of a video and voice recordings (which are outright illegal in many jurisdictions unless you have explicit permission).

There is legal leeway regarding people who are not the subject of a photo, and for crowds or those who are in public places in which it is reasonable to expect others to be taking photos. Some protection may be afforded to a photographer if it is impossible to identify the subject as well (back turned, distance, or silhouette, for example).

In the background, no. A closeup or picture of a child or family as the subject, yes, I'd consider it rude not to ask permission.

I know I wouldn't be thrilled if someone just walked up to me on the sidewalk somewhere and started snapping up close pictures. I'd probably call the police.

I totally agree! I have came across some of the costumed actors on break and I ask permission at those times as well. I haven't been told No yet, but they usually take a second to adjust their costume.

It seems as though there is almost universal agreement that this is not an acceptable practice. I posed the question because I have seen this happen at ports and in the thread about least desirable ports, somebody mentioned that they were snapping a photo of an individual and they started angrily approaching them. This person felt fearful and threatened.

I'm glad that most folks here agree the notion of photographing people randomly when they get off the ship is not acceptable and those who have done it in the past will hopefully reconsider the practice.

Honestly. In the caribbean just put a dollar in their hand and they will go get the rest of the family for you. Helps with the language barrier too.

What a rude and condescending remark to make. This kind of a comment really shows the type of person you are.

I would never do it intentionally. I've taken photos of sites though that were so crowded with people that people inadvertently were in the shot. They were definitely background and not the goal of the photo. If I'm posting photos to a website like tripadvisor I make sure it's one without a strangers face in it. I wouldn't like having my picture up on a website without my knowledge or consent.

But that's my question, what if they were the subject, do you think it's acceptable for folks to just randomly take folks pictures without asking their permission?

about as much as how you would feel is someone did that to you. would you pose, turn your back, or get vocal.

there are also locals that purposely dress up for that sole purpose. I remember one lady in ocho rios dressed in a colorful dress who gyrayed her body with a basket of fruit. she allowed people to take her picture, and even oncouraged it, she then demanded money if nine was offered.

but with zoom lens technology, it's quite easy to get candid shots without the subjects knowledge. so, it is rude if the subject doesn't know?

kinda creepy.

in the background, no. A closeup or picture of a child or family as the subject, yes, i'd consider it rude not to ask permission.

I know i wouldn't be thrilled if someone just walked up to me on the sidewalk somewhere and started snapping up close pictures. I'd probably call the police.

+1....

In the background, no. A closeup or picture of a child or family as the subject, yes, I'd consider it rude not to ask permission.

I guess I need to clarify my original response cause I didn't break it down like this. I have never taken pictures, nor would I, of people without first asking them. I was thinking along the lines of them being in the background of shots taken of the surrounding area which I have taken many of. So, I agree vacruizer's position.

No it is not good form to do this.

In some countries you can get into some trouble by taking pictures of locals without permission (esp, children)

Also, it does suck to be on the receiving end... I can't imagine how many people in China have pictures of me... without my permission.... as soon as I figured out they were TRYING to get me in shots, I would turn around, or have my hair cover my face.

Then a few months ago in Alexandria, Egypt a young girl had her father/male figure ask if I would take a picture with her... I obliged because I was politely asked...

I give respect and try to get respect....

I like where other people have mentioned "would you want someone to do that to you?"

I try to live my life following the idea of "treat others how you would like to be treated"

and of course I do not include 'background' shots.... I have hundreds of people in my Great Wall shots, but I am not trying to pose next to them (yes this happened - more than once) plus if you wait for no one to be in your picture, you might never get a shot.

I know I wouldn't be thrilled if someone just walked up to me on the sidewalk somewhere and started snapping up close pictures. I'd probably call the police.

Agreed

I looked back at the photos from my last few cruises. I have very few with local people in them. In the ones that do, they're never the main subject--just incidental to getting the shot--such as people at a farmers market or workers on a boat.

[quote name='vacruizer']In the background, no. A closeup or picture of a child or family as the subject, yes, I'd consider it rude not to ask permission.

I know I wouldn't be thrilled if someone just walked up to me on the sidewalk somewhere and started snapping up close pictures. I'd probably call the police.[/quote]

Totally agree.

[quote name='picklebongo']But that's my question, what if they were the subject,
do you think it's acceptable for folks to just randomly take folks pictures without asking their permission?[/quote][COLOR=Black][B]Use a tele lens[/B] and do it from 50 ft. away[/COLOR].[COLOR=Black]..[/COLOR]
[COLOR=White].[/COLOR]

[quote name='chicasarita']I always ask, but that's just me.[/quote]

** I have found that you should ask, but also be prepared to be told no, for privacy/security reasons or be asked for money for it. Driving by on a bus seems harmless, but I would do it low key. When we were on a safari in Nairobi, our guide said if the people saw us taking pictures, it would be dangerous and they might attack our car.

[quote name='treasure4two']** I have found that you should ask, but also be prepared to be told no, for privacy/security reasons or be asked for money for it. Driving by on a bus seems harmless, but I would do it low key. When we were on a safari in Nairobi, our guide said if the people saw us taking pictures, it would be dangerous and they might attack our car.[/quote]

So I guess the obvious question is, if you know people may object to having their photos taken for cultural reasons or whatever, why even do it, even if you're on a bus and they may not be aware?

Does using a tele lens make it acceptable because the subject is unaware?

[quote name='geoherb']I looked back at the photos from my last few cruises. I have very few with local people in them. In the ones that do, they're never the main subject--just incidental to getting the shot--such as people at a farmers market or workers on a boat.[/QUOTE]

This is the gray area. Although they may not be the main subject, they ARE part of the shot. They add texture and are possibly identifiable. How may people does it take to make everyone incidental?

Think of this scenario. A fisherman is heading out to sea on his boat. In your mind's eye, the situation captures the essence of the place. Since he is heading out to sea, you have no possibility of asking permission. Do you take the photograph or not?

How about if there are 5 fishermen on the boat? Does that change the answer?
How about if there are 20 fishermen on the boat? Does that change the answer?

Archived