Serenade of the Seas Questions

Question #1: Serenade is headed to dry-dock in November. I'm a bit nervous, as I will be spending my honeymoon on her this July for 12 days in the Mediterranean. Any recent cruisers have opinions on her upkeep? Am I going to regret going on a ship who is getting maintenance only months after my trip?

My second question is: Does RCI always take your passports? I have this fear that I will be stuck in traffic somewhere (ie. Rome) and will miss the boat. What do I do without my passport?

Final question: I see all these threads about iPhone use. I know that my iPhone (Verizon) will work in Italy. However, do you get charged just having your phone on if you keep your data off? I want to be able to receive calls and keep my phone on while in port. I feel like some of the other responses have confused me and wanted to see if any Verizon customers had traveled to Europe and had experience. My understanding is that I pay for the time I am actually speaking on the phone - am I correct? Or are you charged for "roaming" (any time the phone is on?)

Thanks everyone!

We are on the Serenade in May and have no qualms about going on her before dry dock. Been on her before and it was a great cruise and ship. :) In fact we are looking forward to using the Sea View Cafe again, before it is a specialty restaurant, as they did on the Radiance.

We haven't had our passport taken on very many cruises. In Australia it did happen a couple of times and then we got them back a few days later. We have been to Spain and a few ports in the Med. and they did not take our passports then......

Hopefully more pop in to ease your mind. Have a great cruise and honeymoon!!:D

Question #1: Serenade is headed to dry-dock in November. I'm a bit nervous, as I will be spending my honeymoon on her this July for 12 days in the Mediterranean. Any recent cruisers have opinions on her upkeep? Am I going to regret going on a ship who is getting maintenance only months after my trip?

My second question is: Does RCI always take your passports? I have this fear that I will be stuck in traffic somewhere (ie. Rome) and will miss the boat. What do I do without my passport?

Final question: I see all these threads about iPhone use. I know that my iPhone (Verizon) will work in Italy. However, do you get charged just having your phone on if you keep your data off? I want to be able to receive calls and keep my phone on while in port. I feel like some of the other responses have confused me and wanted to see if any Verizon customers had traveled to Europe and had experience. My understanding is that I pay for the time I am actually speaking on the phone - am I correct? Or are you charged for "roaming" (any time the phone is on?)

Thanks everyone!

#1. We are sailing on the Serenade in June, and based on our past experience with this ship, we know she'll be in great shape! She's a beauty, and she will certainly shine for your honeymoon! (BTW, "advanced" congratulations!)

#2. We sailed out of Barcelona on the Brilliance in 2009, and they did indeed take all non-European citizens' passports. We always have a color, laminated copy of our passports with us while traveling. ALWAYS take the compass with you while in port, as it will have the contact phone number of the RCI representative in case you miss the ship - but keep in mind, that is very rare. (that people miss the ship)

#3. I have no idea. Sorry. I'm an AT&T person - and I will have it in airplane mode and only use it for outgoing calls, in case of an emergency.

Cruised on the Serenade during the summer of '10 and had a wonderful time. Beautiful ship, great food and service. Loved the covered Solarium adult pool to beat the heat!

We went on a 12 day Med cruise last summer, but on CCL. They did not take our passports and the only port that we needed them was on Dubrovnik. Police came on the bus into town and checked each passport. CCL did a good job in telling us all this ahead of time. Not sure if RCCL will have a different policy regarding taking the passports.

We went on a cruise for our honeymoon in 1986 and have been hooked ever since! Have a great time!

Wife and I just came off the Serenade two weeks ago (and a year ago as well, same cabin to boot), it's in fabulous shape. We're gonna miss her and her crew.....

Say "hi" to Alouk in the Champagne bar, and David in the Schooner bar, for us. Also, don't miss the Seaview Cafe as mentioned above.....can't believe we missed it last year, and only managed to find it this year on day 6:p

Jeff

We were on Serenade May 2011, she is beautiful. I do not believe you will regret sailing in her just before dry dock.

We actually had the best service on Serenade than we have had on any other ship.

Sea View Cafe is definitely a place to experience!!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Anyone have any idea in regards to the cell phone question?

Providing you have (Data Roaming) turned off you will not have any problems. ;)

Oh, and turn off the 3G in network (If you have it) as the phone might still try to download data. Will still work OK with this disabled.

Have fun.

As others have said, have no fear -- Serenade is a beautiful ship and very well maintained. We just sailed her this past January and loved everything about the ship.

I'd suggest you contact Verizon regarding your Iphone question. I had mind with me in January and as soon as we reached the Caribbean, I got a text message from my phone provider telling me what the roaming and data charges would be if I were to use the phone.

I was last on her in Nov., 2011. She is in great shape. Like others, I'll tell you to go to the Sea View Cafe (just above the Windjammer) and also recommend eating outside on the back deck of the Windjammer (many people stay inside and miss the ocean air and views). When I had my phone in Italy, about three years ago, I could text out for 50 cents and get texts in for 5 cents. My daughter was preg., so she could text me and I knew how she was doing, on the "cheap". When we entered different countries, while cruising a year later, a message would pop up with the rates. Make sure your data package is off. You can always check e-mail on board or at an internet cafe (waiters/staff always know where they are in port - just ask).:) Have a wonderful honeymoon.

Archived