4I to 6A ES denied?

dettlja

I swore Id never be one of those ES question people, but here I am.

I booked ES in a 4I for $887. 4I are sold out. 6A is now $867. I put in for ES and it was denied. Here is what they said:

Early Saver price protection, the rate requested needs to be for the category you purchased. You purchased a category 4I. The rate you submitted was for a category 6A. Although the category 6A is an ocean view cabin you purchased an inside category 4I which is located at a higher deck. The price for the category 4I is higher than for the category 6A.

Does this seem right? I know its only $20 but isnt a 6A a higher catagory than a 4I? Should I resubmit and try again? (btw, dont want to change rooms as we have a JS across the hall).

Jaimee

You can only pricematch to a higher category if you intend on upgrading to it. Since you want to keep your current room, you are out of luck! Sorry!

This is incorrect info. If this was the case, then why does the ES form give the option to checkmark either/or OBC and upgrade?

This is on the ES form:

PRICE PROTECTION CLAIM FORM

Price Protection applies to Early Saver bookings only. Please complete the claim form below to submit a Price Protection request. We'll review your claim within two business days and if it meets the Price Protection requirements, you will have the choice of requesting an upgrade commensurate to the price differential (subject to availability), or we will process a non-refundable onboard credit for the fare difference. An email confirming the outcome of your request will be sent to you. Please indicate your preference below. If you booked your cruise with a travel agent and need to make a Price Protection claim, simply contact your travel agent and they will submit it for you.

It seems as though it must be the same catagory and must be available for booking at the time you submit the form- maybe they dont always enforce it, but they did with me :mad:

• What is the price protection assurance feature?

If, after booking, you find a lower Carnival advertised fare, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable onboard credit. The lower fare must be: i) for the same ship, sailing, stateroom category and number of guests; ii) available for booking at the time you submit your request for the lower rate; and iii) a rate you are eligible to receive, if special restrictions apply. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable.

It seems as though it must be the same catagory and must be available for booking at the time you submit the form- maybe they dont always enforce it, but they did with me :mad:

• What is the price protection assurance feature?

If, after booking, you find a lower Carnival advertised fare, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable onboard credit. The lower fare must be: i) for the same ship, sailing, stateroom category and number of guests; ii) available for booking at the time you submit your request for the lower rate; and iii) a rate you are eligible to receive, if special restrictions apply. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable.

That's because you can't match to a LOWER category. If they didn't allow you to match to higher categories then the word "Upgrade" wouldn't be anywhere on the ES form. Resubmit the form or call them directly and argue it out. Recite what the ES form says that I posted above.

I swore Id never be one of those ES question people, but here I am.

I booked ES in a 4I for $887. 4I are sold out. 6A is now $867. I put in for ES and it was denied. Here is what they said:

Early Saver price protection, the rate requested needs to be for the category you purchased. You purchased a category 4I. The rate you submitted was for a category 6A. Although the category 6A is an ocean view cabin you purchased an inside category 4I which is located at a higher deck. The price for the category 4I is higher than for the category 6A.

Does this seem right? I know its only $20 but isnt a 6A a higher catagory than a 4I? Should I resubmit and try again? (btw, dont want to change rooms as we have a JS across the hall).

Jaimee

Actually they are right--category 4I is an interior on the Veranda deck, while a 6A is an ocean view on the Riviera deck, so it would be considered a downgrade. Higher decks cost more than lower decks.

Actually they are right--category 4I is an interior on the Veranda deck, while a 6A is an ocean view on the Riviera deck, so it would be considered a downgrade. Higher decks cost more than lower decks.

Just because a cabin is on a higher deck does not mean it costs more. A 6A is a higher category than a 4I. It is not a downgrade to go from a 4I to a 6A...it would be an upgrade even though the cabin is on a lower deck. The 6A is an oceanview and the 4I is considered inside. Oceanview...no matter what deck is higher category than an inside cabin.

A 4I is a higher category than a 6A. You just cant look at interior to interior or ov to ov--each deck is a different category. A 6A on Riviera is a different category than a 6B on the Riviera even though they are both ocean view cabins. If you go look at deck plans and look at the color coding it will explain it.

A 4I is a higher category than a 6A. You just cant look at interior to interior or ov to ov--each deck is a different category. A 6A on Riviera is a different category than a 6B on the Riviera even though they are both ocean view cabins. If you go look at deck plans and look at the color coding it will explain it.

She's not comparing a 6 to a 6. It's a 4 to a 6. The higher the number, the higher the cat. Last I checked a 6 trumps a 4, therefore the 6 is a higher cat.

Inside Stateroom

Category 4I-Deck: Verandah

Sitting area, desk, chair, full bathroom with shower, 3 closets, safe box, telephone, TV, individual climate control.Two twin beds (convert to king).

Oceanview Stateroom

up to Cat. 6E

Category 6A-Deck: Riviera

Sitting area, desk, chair, full bathroom with shower, 3 closets, phone, safe, TV, individual climate control. Two twin beds (convert to king).

As I said before...a 4I is an inside stateroom. A 6A is an oceanview room. An oceanview room no matter where it located is a higher category than an inside room. If you look at Carnivals website it will show you that an Oceanview is a higher category than an inside room.

Hate to argue on this, but half my family works for Carnival!!!

Even if you have an OV room on the Riviera deck--aft and forward cabins are one category but midship OV are a different category even though they are all OV cabins on the same deck!! I know this is a hard concept for people to understand. Thats why they say Category and not type of room!

The room descriptions mean nothing regarding the category.

Even if you have an OV room on the Riviera deck--aft and forward cabins are one category but midship OV are a different category even though they are all OV cabins on the same deck!! I know this is a hard concept for people to understand. Thats why they say Category and not type of room!

But the OP's original room is NOT an OV. It's an INSIDE.

No one is arguing. According to Carnival here are the categories:

Inside

Oceanview

Balcony

Suite

A 4I is an inside room...a 6A is an oceanview room. Two different categories and the 6A oceanview is a higher category than a 4I which is an inside room.

Even so, it is a different category.

I just did a mock booking on the imagination in May an interior on the main deck cost 685.50 while an interior on the veranda deck is 775.50. If it was in the same category the prices would be the same.

Inside

Oceanview

Balcony

Suite

A 4I is an inside room...a 6A is an oceanview room. Two different categories and the 6A oceanview is a higher category than a 4I which is an inside room.

But A OV on the Main deck is a different Category than an OV on the Veranda deck. Categories are the type of cabin and the deck, not just the cabin type.

But the OP's original room is NOT an OV. It's an INSIDE.

Sorry missed that, but each deck is also a different category along with the room type. This is where most people get confused on ES.

An OV is higher than an inside. Period. Re-submit and in the comment section make sure you mention you want OBC only, no upgrade.

I did that and they moved me anyway.. so if you do not want to change cabins.. this is not the best idea.

You have to at least be prepared to give up your cabin.

Since the rules are clear .. if you want to keep your cabin.. you cant expect to price match to another category if you really want to keep your cabin.

Inside

Oceanview

Balcony

Suite

Categories are 4A, 4B, 4C etc, on up.

Types of categories are inside, OV, balcony.

This is on the ES form:

PRICE PROTECTION CLAIM FORM

Price Protection applies to Early Saver bookings only. Please complete the claim form below to submit a Price Protection request. We'll review your claim within two business days and if it meets the Price Protection requirements, you will have the choice of requesting an upgrade commensurate to the price differential (subject to availability), or we will process a non-refundable onboard credit for the fare difference. An email confirming the outcome of your request will be sent to you. Please indicate your preference below. If you booked your cruise with a travel agent and need to make a Price Protection claim, simply contact your travel agent and they will submit it for you.

Becca .. I still disagree with your interpretation.. in order to price match to your category it cant be sold out or a higher price.

It is true you have a choice .. what you are missing is the rest of the rules.. where it clearly says you have to price match to your category, and in this case the OPs category is higher $$ than the one they want to price match to .. but not change to.

You said in another thread to just put in the comments you want to keep your cabin .. I can tell you that definetely did NOT work for me.. and I requested to keep my cabin. They changed me without asking me. I also did not check the upgrade box, but my category was sold out.

you are skipping over the rules you want to not use and just pointing to the one that says you have a choice.. you only have a choice if your category has gone down or not sold out.

deleted. Ken

Archived