Alaskka Questions - Please help

LovesCruising

We are looking at booking an Alaska cruise for 2013. I have so many questions and I know this is the place to go for some good advise/answers.

A little background. Hubby and I have cruised about 20 times mostly on Royal Caribbean but also on Celebrity, NCL and Carnival so we are seasoned cruisers. Sister and BIL have sailed twice, Royal and Princess. We range in age from 65 - 58. We enjoy every ship however we are mainly warm weather/caribbean cruisers. However, this is on my "bucket" list so want to do Alaska at least once. (Hubby not so much)

Having said that, I am looking at Princess for their Voyage of the Glaciers w/Glacier Bay Southbound. Itinerary includes embark in Anchorage, cruising Hubbard and Glacier Bays - Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan with the cruise ending in Van Couver BC.

Four of Princess ships do this cruise, Coral, Diamond, Sapphire and Island.

Here are the questions, is this a good itinery for first time Alaska (want to see the Glaciers and Wildlife) and possibly only Alaska cruise.

Which ship would you choose?

I know cruising Alaska is probably best in summer months - however both May and September are pricing best. Any thoughts?

Also, took a quick look at air - while I know it cannot be priced at this time, just wanted to get an idea of scheduling. While I will fly - Im not crazy about being on a plane for over 6 hours. BIL hates to fly and will take some convincing. Im thinking it might ease the flight by flying from the east coast (EWR) into San Fran and staying there a few days pre cruise but on the return I have no clue, possibly fly into Seattle? Any thoughts?

We have in the past got used to booking Suites on Royal and enjoy their perks - however since this is our first time on Princess (are you considered past passenger if you sailed on Carnival?) would it be worth a suite? (Balcony is min. we will go).

I apologize for the long post, so hoping for some help/advise so we can get this booked. Thanks for your help!

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=LovesCruising&date=12-30-2011&text=&ship=Explorer of the Seas

May is an excellent trip for Alaska, from mid May on. BUT, with a one way cruise, I always advocate adding time for Interior Alaska travel- as you have found, the flights are long, and can be costly. You may want to take advantage of being there? BUT, if you do decide to tour interior Alaska, and include Denali park, southbound is not the direction to consider in May. You want later access, with ideally June 1+++, IF you want the full advantage. IF Denali Park, is of no interest (but I would suggest you find out about this and do your homework) and instead you want to consider the Kenai Peninsula touring may be more available.

No you will not be considered any "past passenger" if you have never sailed Princess.

As only a suggestion- I just booked NCL Sun (yep, kind of crappy ship) on a northbound May sailing, which also includes both Hubbard and Glacier Bay. My priority is getting into Denali Park, for my preference, which this itinerary allows.

Thanks Budget Queen - time may be an issue as far as touring interior - hubby is still working

Went on an internet site - gives option for cruiselines traveled, over 55, military etc etc - past passenger rate comes up even tho we have only cruised Carnival - hmmm - probably won't really know until we decide and call Princess

Should we decide on a full suite - do you know what the perks are from Princess? Does Princess have concierge lounge?

Thanks Budget Queen - time may be an issue as far as touring interior - hubby is still working

Went on an internet site - gives option for cruiselines traveled, over 55, military etc etc - past passenger rate comes up even tho we have only cruised Carnival - hmmm - probably won't really know until we decide and call Princess

Should we decide on a full suite - do you know what the perks are from Princess? Does Princess have concierge lounge?

I have no clue, I am a cheap inside cabin cruiser. :)

As only a suggestion- I just booked NCL Sun (yep, kind of crappy ship) on a northbound May sailing, which also includes both Hubbard and Glacier Bay. My priority is getting into Denali Park, for my preference, which this itinerary allows.

Hmm - missed this one - Ill check it out! Thanks

Just realized - Look at the way I spelled Alaska!!!:eek:LOL

As for southeast Alaska, May is a great time to visit. Weather is typically nice. You'll be traveling through a temperate rainforest so you do want to be prepared with some raingear. If you decide on a balcony you want to make sure that you have enough overhang to keep your balcony dry. That way you can enjoy it even when it's raining. There's lots to see as you cruise through so if you're "balcony" people you'll enjoy it.

I have never heard hardly any good things about NCL and my travel agent won't even sail on them. Read reviews about the ships here on cruise critic and that will help you decide.

Princess has a very good reputation for sailing Alaska and the southbound itinerary you spoke of is a very good one.

Also, read people's reviews that sailed on those ships last year to Alaska.

The ship should not be your main priority but you still want to enjoy your time you are on it and you will be disappointed if you aren't happy with your choice.

Do some research on the ships then make your choice. Well, I just stopped and went and read some reviews of the NCL Sun and in all fairness they are pretty good.

Research is the key and you have plenty of time.

I hope if you are up in the Anchorage you do take a little time to at least see some of the Kenai Peninsula (Seward area). The drive and/or train ride from Anchorage to Seward is spectacular in scenery.

I have never heard hardly any good things about NCL and my travel agent won't even sail on them. Read reviews about the ships here on cruise critic and that will help you decide.

Princess has a very good reputation for sailing Alaska and the southbound itinerary you spoke of is a very good one.

The ship should not be your main priority but you still want to enjoy your time you are on it and you will be disappointed if you aren't happy with your choice.

Do some research on the ships then make your choice. Well, I just stopped and went and read some reviews of the NCL Sun and in all fairness they are pretty good.

I hope if you are up in the Anchorage you do take a little time to at least see some of the Kenai Peninsula (Seward area). The drive and/or train ride from Anchorage to Seward is spectacular in scenery.

Frankly, what you "hear" is not the same as having a lot of experience sailing NCL, which I do- 27 cruises with them out of my 74.

There is no perfect cruise. NCL does a good job in Alaska, and this particular itinerary is very good.

How nice you have had such good experiences. I just hadn't heard any.

Also, great you are getting to go on the Statendam and the Sun all this summer.

How many times in a year do you generally get to go to Alaska?

Also, do you go to any other destinations or is Alaska your primary and favorite place to go?

As for southeast Alaska, May is a great time to visit. Weather is typically nice. You'll be traveling through a temperate rainforest so you do want to be prepared with some raingear. If you decide on a balcony you want to make sure that you have enough overhang to keep your balcony dry. That way you can enjoy it even when it's raining. There's lots to see as you cruise through so if you're "balcony" people you'll enjoy it.

We are definately balcony people! Does Alaska require a covered balcony?

Did 1 NCL - Gem out of NY to Bahamas - had a good time but little experience with NCL.

While we have plenty of time to do "add ons" Id love to lock in a price for the cruise and have a good selection of cabins.

Thanks for all the advise - keep them coming!! Thanks:)

How nice you have had such good experiences. I just hadn't heard any.

Also, great you are getting to go on the Statendam and the Sun all this summer.

How many times in a year do you generally get to go to Alaska?

Also, do you go to any other destinations or is Alaska your primary and favorite place to go?

This year I am sailing the Statendam and Sapphire, in Alaska. It's next year, I'm on the Sun.

I sometimes go to Alaska twice/year, but last several, has been once.

I travel all over. Since you ask, this year- returned last month from 3 weeks in Hawaii, next month a week in New Orleans. May- trans Atlantic cruise, then a week in London, week in Paris. July, 1 week in NYC. August 3 weeks with 2 Alaska cruises, November transAtlantic with a week prior in Spain. 15 weeks of travel in 2012.

No you will not be considered any "past passenger" if you have never sailed Princess.

After going on 7 cruises with Carnival, I booked my first cruise with Princess (California Coastal). I did not get a "Past Passenger" rate with Princess but I did get a "VIP" rate. I was told that this rate was available on some of the sailings. You might want to ask about that. Just let the person doing the booking know that you have sailed with Carnival.

Now, I'm also looking at Alaska sailings. My first Princess cruise isn't until October, so, if I book an Alaska cruise now would I be considered a "Past Passenger" or would I need to wait until I actually return from my California Coastal cruise?

Wow! Budget Queen - it must be nice to travel so much. You really are a busy lady with all of that. Do you travel alone?

The planning for all those trips must be a full time job. Takes me so much planning just for a 2 week Alaska trip and then of course I love reading and researching the boards here.

So have you ever done much over by Coopers Landing?

After going on 7 cruises with Carnival, I booked my first cruise with Princess (California Coastal). I did not get a "Past Passenger" rate with Princess but I did get a "VIP" rate. I was told that this rate was available on some of the sailings. You might want to ask about that. Just let the person doing the booking know that you have sailed with Carnival.

Now, I'm also looking at Alaska sailings. My first Princess cruise isn't until October, so, if I book an Alaska cruise now would I be considered a "Past Passenger" or would I need to wait until I actually return from my California Coastal cruise?

I would think you have to complete the California cruise first.

Wow! Budget Queen - it must be nice to travel so much. You really are a busy lady with all of that. Do you travel alone?

The planning for all those trips must be a full time job. Takes me so much planning just for a 2 week Alaska trip and then of course I love reading and researching the boards here.

So have you ever done much over by Coopers Landing?

Wow - what she said!

We are definately balcony people! Does Alaska require a covered balcony?

My preference would be a covered balcony so that if possible I could hopefully still be out on the balcony & view the scenery. Also, with a covered balcony there's more hope that when it does rain, you & your balcony chairs won't get soaked.

My preference for travel to Alaska is late May. Loads of daylight! You don't get that in September.

I've had covered balconies and not so covered balconies. I actually prefer balconies with mostly open air above in Alaska. There will be times you cruise close to land in Alaska and for that reason I like the open air. You get a different type of feel with open air above your head vs. total overhang cruising close to land.

At the glaciers, I usually prefer going on a top open-air deck even though I have a balcony. Again, it's a different experience than the balcony. I did notice when I had aft balconies with little overhang that the experience at the glaciers was pretty good though after I returned from the top decks.

My DH and I did a float trip out of Cooper landing last year. We had a great time. The water was quiet,not rushing, the guide was really good. We only saw eagles, but the experience was really nice. There were 8 of us on the float. It's not for everyone and not on the top of my lists of things to do, but we had the time and used a coupon and felt it added to our Alaska experience.

Thanks. I am glad you did the float trip and enjoyed it. We were going to salmon fish but have opted to just take the float trip.

What else did you do in the immediate Coopers Landing area. The next day we will be going to Kenai and on to Homer where we will stay for 2 nights. After Homer we travel to Seward for 2 nights where we will take the 7 1/2 hour kenai fjords trip with Major Marine (there is a coupon in the Northern Lights book).

We just want to have a relatively slow meandering trip and really see the Kenai Peninsula.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

You will have past passenger RATE on all Carnival corp ships.....

however, you will NOT have past passenger perks (ie, past guest party, etc) unless you have actually sailed on a given line

I have only limited experience with NCL, BUT I do know that the "suite" perks and offerings on NCL are top notch. IF the OP does any sort of suite , they would probably enjoy NCL a lot

I like Carnival but I am the first to admit their suites are not very "sweet' LOL

Princess is not known for suite perks either from what I hear

NCL....and Celebrity seem to be the best regarding suites ...ie, Butler, concierge, etc. NCL has a whole pool area/restaurant just for suite passengers

Archived