Lobster Night in MDR?

KevinsCruising

In our experience, lobster night WAS the first sea day (not embarkation night). But, last year on the Jewel, it was Thursday night... I think they're changing it up...

No...with the implementation of the new MDR menus fleetwide, NCL executive chef's are REQUIRED to serve MDR Menu #1 (there are 14 in total) on embarkation day. Menu #1 has the Lobster entree. Outside of the embarkation day requirement, the executive chef can rotate through the other menus as they see fit.

In our experience, lobster night WAS the first sea day (not embarkation night). But, last year on the Jewel, it was Thursday night... I think they're changing it up...

By the time we were on the Jewel last October, it was already the first night.

No...with the implementation of the new MDR menus fleetwide, NCL executive chef's are REQUIRED to serve MDR Menu #1 (there are 14 in total) on embarkation day. Menu #1 has the Lobster entree. Outside of the embarkation day requirement, the executive chef can rotate through the other menus as they see fit.

Embarkation night is traditionally the most casual night, as people sometimes do not have luggage in time to dress for dinner.

So, to "require" a signature fancy dish on that night just does not make a lot of sense except to save money.

Sort of like when Carnival moved the Captain's party to the last night... yes, it is still free drinks, but nobody comes because they are all packing.

And they wonder why I bring my own liquor to drink...

Do the ships that sail from New York serve Maine lobster or are all ships serving smallish frozen rock lobsters? Which usually aren't much to celebrate.

The only place to get Maine lobster is in the extra-charge dining rooms. You would have to pay at least $60 a couple. The lobster served in the main dining room would be a small-ish, half tail of a caribbean lobster.

Pretty much a large crawdad :D

The only place to get Maine lobster is in the extra-charge dining rooms. You would have to pay at least $60 a couple. The lobster served in the main dining room would be a small-ish, half tail of a caribbean lobster.

My youngest always gets the lobster in LeBistro.

How can they DO that on cruises from Boston???? As far as New Englanders are concerned, that's not "lobster." That's like serving tomato-based clam chowder!! (We won't name that one, now will we? ;))

We enjoyed the small lobster and red snapper (or some type of fish) on the first night on The Spirit. I asked for lots of extra butter! Next time, I'll order two lobsters along with my extra butter...lol...

Have to mention this... If you see Tempura Battered Fried Mushrooms as an appetizer, try them. Very good! Also, the Seafood Bisque & the Seafood Cioppino (seafood stew). Those three selections were served on the last night of our cruise on The Spirit and they were all very good... :)

That's too bad, I was looking forward to having the lobster on our Gem cruise in October. Now, not so much. :(

Embarkation night is traditionally the most casual night, as people sometimes do not have luggage in time to dress for dinner.

So, to "require" a signature fancy dish on that night just does not make a lot of sense except to save money.

Sort of like when Carnival moved the Captain's party to the last night... yes, it is still free drinks, but nobody comes because they are all packing.

And they wonder why I bring my own liquor to drink...

How would serving it on the first night instead of the second night save money?

Archived