Connoisseur cruise tour on Princess

soccergang

I originally posted this on the Alaska board, but little feedback. I thought I would try this instead. We have previously been to Alaska 3 times. We want to do a cruise tour in 2013, and trying to determine if the connoisseur is worth the extra money. Second question, we like the itinerary for the "K" tour, but not sure if that is too much motor coach time. Can anyone give me any input to either question?

I originally posted this on the Alaska board, but little feedback. I thought I would try this instead. We have previously been to Alaska 3 times. We want to do a cruise tour in 2013, and trying to determine if the connoisseur is worth the extra money. Second question, we like the itinerary for the "K" tour, but not sure if that is too much motor coach time. Can anyone give me any input to either question?

Not sure about the lettering, but we did the Connoisseur tour last August and September....8 days land and 7 day cruise. (I think it was "P") We spent two nights each in Fairbanks, Denali, Wrangall St. Elias and Kenai. The advantage of the connoisseur tour is the meals are included. With the exception of Denali, you have no other choice but to eat at the lodge, and the prices are expensive. I personally did not mind the motor coach time at all. Not sure if the K tour includes it, but the day we traveled the Denali highway from Denali to Wrangall we saw the most spectacular scenery I've ever encountered! I will do this trip again in a heartbeat and the extra money was well worth it in my humble opinion!

• 1 month later...

I am thinking of booking this trip in June 2013. You answered my question if it is worth the extra money. How did Princess work the included meals? Did they take you to restaurants, was it an unlimited menu or did they just give you a money alotment, anything above that amount you have to pay?

I am thinking of booking this trip in June 2013. You answered my question if it is worth the extra money. How did Princess work the included meals? Did they take you to restaurants, was it an unlimited menu or did they just give you a money alotment, anything above that amount you have to pay?

Some examples:

Three course dinner at Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge A meal voucher will be included in your key packet upon arrival and is only valid at the Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge's Trackers Restaurant. Service includes non-alcoholic beverage, appetizer or soup or salad, one entree, dessert and 15% gratuity. Not redeemable for cash.

Breakfast in Fairbanks A meal voucher will be included in your welcome envelope upon arrival and is only valid in Fairbanks. Service includes non-alcoholic beverage, one entree and 15% gratuity. Not redeemable for cash.

LUNCH ABOARD MCKINLEY EXPRESS Lunch aboard the McKinley Express Service includes a non-alcoholic beverage, one entree, one dessert and 15% gratuity. A meal voucher will be given to you on the train. It's not redeemable for cash and is only valid on the train.

Also, a Connoisseur tour has a guide with you much more than the non-Connoiseur tours do.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

caribill,

Your review and photos are stunning. I don't know how I missed reading this when you posted it, but very glad you attached the thread today! :) We did a regular Princess a few years ago and I enjoyed re-living many of the sights through your commentary and photos.

Thanks again!!

Archived