May,26th 2013 NY to London

RJB

Yes, well currently it is March, and we are talking about the North Atlantic

104100.jpg

After I responded, I realized that, yes, it is March and rough seas are to be expected. Surely the seas will be calmer in May??!! DH gets seasick---so I certainly won't show him your photo since we signed up for the May 2013 transatlantic as a reunion cruise with others we have met on Oceania! Actually, your photo looks like us on the Marina maiden voyage right outside Malaga.

We will be on that cruise with you. We never get seasick so I can't respond to that. There are only 3 sea days crossing from Newfoundland to Ireland. Go prepared and if he doesn't get seasick, it will be great. The doctor on the ship is available with meds as well. I think it is a great itinerary.

We are on this cruise as well. I realize you probably already have your cabin, but my best recommendation to anyone who is seasick prone, is to get a cabin on as low a deck as possible and as close to mid ships as possible.

We have never done a T/A this far north, although we are on the Lisbon-NYC in September so I may have some comments after that, but we have done 4 other T/A's (2 out of Miami, 1 out of Barbados and 1 out of Buenos Aires) - all were in March/April. The only rough weather we encountered was the first couple of days out of Miami on one on those trips. Not a bad percentage for that many days in open water.

Looking forward to meeting you on board.

Marilyn

Marilyn's advice is spot on as to best location if you are prone to seasickness. Despite that, we still aim for a PH which is a higher deck by definition. Howard should have been a sailor -- he actually enjoys high seas.

We've done two southern route TAs (Miami-Barcelona and NYC-Venice) with another one coming up in November 2013, and one northern route. Miami-Barcelona was on Regatta, NYC-Venice was on NCL's Gem, and we did Southampton-NYC on QE2 in December 2004.

Yes, we had some rough weather on that one -- Howard finally bullied me into getting a shot after which I had no problems at all. But we had a few days rough weather on the two others we've already taken as well (March 2009 and April 2010).

There are no guarantees ... but ginger helps, as of course, do the shots if you are in need.

Mura

There are no guarantees ... but ginger helps, as of course, do the shots if you are in need.

Mura

Shots?! What shots?! Inquiring minds.... Really, a shot of what? (I have an image of mainlining meclizine!)

Thanks.

Hunding,

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV!

But there is a shot of SOMETHING that you can take to relieve mal de mer. Just go to the ship's doctor and ask for it.

I don't remember whether we had to pay for it or not ... if we did I suspect it wasn't much because we never put in an insurance claim, as we did when I blew out my knee the day before boarding Regatta and had to visit the doctor a couple of times.

You just go to the doctor and say you are seasick, and they will shoot you up!

Mura

We are on this cruise as well. I realize you probably already have your cabin, but my best recommendation to anyone who is seasick prone, is to get a cabin on as low a deck as possible and as close to mid ships as possible.

We have never done a T/A this far north, although we are on the Lisbon-NYC in September so I may have some comments after that, but we have done 4 other T/A's (2 out of Miami, 1 out of Barbados and 1 out of Buenos Aires) - all were in March/April. The only rough weather we encountered was the first couple of days out of Miami on one on those trips. Not a bad percentage for that many days in open water.

Looking forward to meeting you on board.

Marilyn

Due to DH's seasick issues, we always try to book low, midship. However, those are usually among the first cabins to sell out. For seasickness, we bring ginger tablets and wrist bands. We get meds from the reception. For a cruise in the North Sea, I had my doctor prescribe those behind the ear patches---DH didn't like the side effects of the patches and besides, the seas were pretty calm. He's usually holed up in the cabin for one or two days on each cruise we've taken with Oceania due to the small size of their ships and their tendency to bounce around more than a 3,000 passenger line (there are trade-offs here). I don't get seasick and I love to cruise so he tolerates my passion.

We just cancelled our booking for the Lisbon-NYC cruise on the Regatta. DH said we need to get home after a month in Black Sea/Turkey but I think he was dreading the Regatta in the Atlantic. We are definitely doing the NYC-Southampton on the Marina because it's a heavier ship and the stabilizers are state-of-the-art and quite effective (cruised transatlantic and North Sea on her).

Makes you appreciate those ancient mariners!

Thanks, but I prefer Mura's solution: Go to the doctor's and they will shoot you up!

:D

LMAO! But I do have to say that I found the shot a lot more effective than the pills! I suppose it depends on how rough the seas are and how rotten you feel!

Mura

.......... Actually, your photo looks like us on the Marina maiden voyage right outside Malaga.

It wasn't quite 25 ft seas between Barcelona and Casablanca. More like 15 -20 on the worst day. Just my estimate from looking out deck 5 windows.

Before we leave Newfoundland, we can look up Oceanweather.com to determine if we need to start taking meclizine ( offered at reception desk ) for those 3 days.

Injectibles can include those drugs used in managing nausea as a result of chemotherapy, so it is often more potent.

It wasn't quite 25 ft seas between Barcelona and Casablanca. More like 15 -20 on the worst day. Just my estimate from looking out deck 5 windows.

Before we leave Newfoundland, we can look up Oceanweather.com to determine if we need to start taking meclizine ( offered at reception desk ) for those 3 days.

Injectibles can include those drugs used in managing nausea as a result of chemotherapy, so it is often more potent.

I do believe you are right on the height of the waves on the MV. I just remember when we were in Horizons for our Meet and Greet meeting, foam from the waves came across the large front facing windows about the same time that the unattached column came crashing down (luckily, nobody was hurt). And that was deck 15! DH was down in the cabin, natch.

At one point, I found myself mesmerized by the waves like others who were sitting by reception and staring out the windows. Then I decided not to push my luck and went to take the elevator back to the cabin. The elevators were banging due to the ship's motion so people decided to walk the stairs while holding on tightly to the railings.

That night, I had dinner with another "single" woman. Her husband was up in the cabin as was mine. As a matter of fact, the GDR was only half full when we were in there.

How is it that performers seem to maintain their balance on stage even in the worst of weather??

That night, I had dinner with another "single" woman. Her husband was up in the cabin as was mine. As a matter of fact, the GDR was only half full when we were in there.

How is it that performers seem to maintain their balance on stage even in the worst of weather??

I have a feeling that that same night was when I had to leave Toscana after appetizer to return to my cabin, whereas DW managed to stay for another hour and a half.

My sister was on Celebrity Constellation Harwich to NY via Iceland in early Sep 2009 and endured very rough seas, such that one night she was the only guest at her table in MDR, with empty tables surrounding her.

Maybe women are better at this? Any other anecdotal observations?:)

Was not really thinking in terms of getting seasick, but it could be a problem. We have been pretty good with that, but you never know. Was wondering if it got very rough weather we would be sort of locked into our cabins? Had a pretty bad 24 hours in the South China Sea five years ago and would not want a repeat. Thanks for any new thoughts:)

Archived