Another Passport Question

VickiD59

My sis'inlaw and her friend have decided to join us on our upcoming cruise. Long story short.. her passport expired a year ago. It was issued in her previous married name (she's since married my brother). Now taking the passport out of the equation, if she shows up to port with her birth certificate (obviously her maiden name) and current drivers license (current married name) does she need her marriage certificate to show the name changed? And as I'm typing this I realize.. her marriage cert probably lists her with her previous (married) name as well. Oh geez what a mess. Here's a visual in case I've lost anyone ;)

• Born: Jane Doe
  • Married name: Jane Smith
  • Divorced: Kept Jane Smith
  • Remarried: Now Jane Jones
  • DL and Cruise docs: Jane Jones

I'm trying to encourage renewing her passport, but IF that doesn't happen.. what docs do you think she'll need to have with her to check-in?

Thanks everybody :)

Yes - your sister in law will need to show her marriage license, as it's the only legal document that can "bridge" the birth certificate to the name shown on the driver's license (from Jane Doe to Jane Jones). There is no need to show the marriage certificate and divorce decree (from Jane Doe to Jane Smith).

Depending on when your cruise is, your SIL may have enough time to get her passport renewed - there are companies on the Internet that can turn around an expired passport to a valid passport in a week or so, but you are going to pay around $99 for the expedited service, plus $170 to the US government. One such company is http://www.uspassportnow.com.

Hope this helps!

My sis'inlaw and her friend have decided to join us on our upcoming cruise. Long story short.. her passport expired a year ago. It was issued in her previous married name (she's since married my brother). Now taking the passport out of the equation, if she shows up to port with her birth certificate (obviously her maiden name) and current drivers license (current married name) does she need her marriage certificate to show the name changed? And as I'm typing this I realize.. her marriage cert probably lists her with her previous (married) name as well. Oh geez what a mess. Here's a visual in case I've lost anyone ;)

• Born: Jane Doe
  • Married name: Jane Smith
  • Divorced: Kept Jane Smith
  • Remarried: Now Jane Jones
  • DL and Cruise docs: Jane Jones

I'm trying to encourage renewing her passport, but IF that doesn't happen.. what docs do you think she'll need to have with her to check-in?

Which cruise line? It makes a difference.

The very least she needs is her BC and current, correctly named ID. But she runs a risk (slight on some lines, guaranteed on others) that she will be asked for bridge documents.

If she needs bridge documents, she would have to take her BC and both of her marriage licenses, plus her current ID. It really is easier to just renew the passport under her new name.

I had the exact same situation when I renewed a passport in 1996. I had to provide a copy of the final divorce papers and my new marriage certificate to get the new passport.

She really should get a new passport and tie up all the loose ends, otherwise she faces the same questions and hassles anytime she leaves the US.

Yes - your sister in law will need to show her marriage license, as it's the only legal document that can "bridge" the birth certificate to the name shown on the driver's license (from Jane Doe to Jane Jones). There is no need to show the marriage certificate and divorce decree (from Jane Doe to Jane Smith)
The second marriage license will probably only show the name change from Jane Smith to Jane Jones. It does not always bridge the BC (Jane Doe) to the name Jane Smith. In that case, she is gonna need both licenses, or a new passport.

whoops-too late to edit earlier post, but just realized this is on the Carnival board (long story, not worth repeating). FWIW, Carnival generally does not require bridge documents UNLESS your booking name does not match your ID. They will match first names and birthdate with your BC.

They correctly assume that you proved your name change(s) in order to get the ID in the first place; your BC is proof of citizenship, not identity. Your ID is proof of your identy, not citizenship.

... what docs do you think she'll need to have with her to check-in?

She should bring, birth certificate, both marriage certificates, and her divorce papers. Sure, it is probably over kill but better to have too much than not enough.

BTW if she gets a new passport she will need all of the same information.

They correctly assume that you proved your name change(s) in order to get the ID in the first place; your BC is proof of citizenship, not identity. Your ID is proof of your identy, not citizenship.

That is a great way to explain it- perfect! :)

Archived