Spanx.. There I said it! Questions

Nordstrom??? Lololol...Sorry I Lol because I live in rural Mississippi. Very rural!!! My closest neighbor is 5 miles away. But in town ( yep town not city) we did just get a McDonalds inside our 1 gas station combo convenience store. Hey the big town 30 miles away just got a grocery store.

Seriously, Memphis is bout 70 miles away & they have some malls w/Macy's & J C Penny

Hahaha! I forget how far flung CC'ers are sometimes.

If money is not an object you could always order a bunch of different ones online and return the ones that don't work. Nordstrom has free shipping both ways for all orders.

Don't worry about her, she comes, makes this same statement every time and then leaves...she won't come back again. A fly by.

Many women have imperfections (or what they perceive to be imperfections) in all sizes. I was once told by a bra fitter that it is rare to have a woman completely happy with their body. Even the skinny ones have issues.

Then I read recently that some actresses on the red carpet will wear 2 pair of Spanx...so much for those perfect bodies.

I buy clothing that fits well, then enhance the look with a good bra and a good pair of Spanx to make it all look a little bit better. For people who find them terribly uncomfortable, ot they roll down, go up a size or two, you're not getting the proper fit. I don't think they hold in like a girdle, just a bit of help in crucial areas.

Thanks.....so just like everybody should have dinner companions....everyone just needs clothes that fit and they won't have lumps :rolleyes:

Thanks for your input Kelly, but this thread is for questions, comments, & suggestions on shapewear. Types of shapewear, how they use them, where to buy them, etc. If you dont need or want them thats great. But you'll excuse the rest of us if we continue our sharing of experiences.

Thanks for your input Kelly, but this thread is for questions, comments, & suggestions on shapewear.

Given the graemlin ":rolleyes:" in Kelly's post - I think she is mocking cbatsea's response as HappyKS is in her response that was quoted.

I haven't tried spanx, so I don't know if these prices are good or not.

But supposedly, the there is a sale on them here:

http://www.bebeautiful.com/catalog/outlet?filters=tid%3A987%20tid%3A331&solrsort=fs_uc_sell_price%20asc&rows=12

I need something that would suck my tummy in so I don't have too. I don't think Spanx or anthing short of the old school lace up corsets would do that for me, do you?

Frederick's waist cincher takes 3 1/2" off my waist. I kind of hated every part of their online experience (I was doing a bunch of shopping over two weeks for our last vacation- I think we placed about 8 orders, and theirs was ordered second and delivered last, with no shipping notice or corrected invoice except in the package, and they sent ball of foot cushions instead of heel pads), and I don't think it's particularly high quality, but the price was right. They do have frequent 50% off clearance sales, although the pickins are getting slim. It's actually surprisingly comfortable!

I don't know why you keep saying that. I wear well fitting clothes and have a lot of excess skin from losing 40% of my body weight that I need to smooth to look nice. Nobody wants to see my belly that hangs all the over by my hip on the side...in my nice fitting size 8 skirt.

And it's kinda like saying if your top fits, you don't need a bra....most people need a bra.

Anyway....it just bugs me every time you say that.

The one I have...I put my bra over it. It also has a nice "grip" where the elastic would be at the top of it. I have one that doesn't pull up quite that high and doesn't have a nice grip and does roll slightly sometimes.

Thanks for your input Kelly, but this thread is for questions, comments, & suggestions on shapewear. Types of shapewear, how they use them, where to buy them, etc. If you dont need or want them thats great. But you'll excuse the rest of us if we continue our sharing of experiences.

Well, as you can see from my first two replies to your thread, I do need them and wear them. My last comment was addressed to Happy ks who was responding to my snarky comment to cb at sea. So perhaps you really meant to also address cb who thinks if you just wear the right fitting clothing nobody would need them? I'm sorry if you thought I was being snarky to you.

One thing spanx or spanx-like garments do as well is they cut down on the friction and clinginess between undergarments and outer clothes so that the outer clothing hangs and drapes like its supposed to. I don't own spanx, only similar garments with a cheaper price, and yes they do make physical dimensions fractionally smaller. That's why they're also called compression garments.

And as far as the movie stars wearing double layers, I believe it because I've done it myself when my vanity has really got a hold on me. :D

And another (side) thing about bra fitting; sometimes the clerks in lingerie stores are no better at it than us shoppers and will give a person the completely wrong size. My daughter now wears a 36F fitted by a Fredricks of Hollywood clerk in Portland, while a clerk at Victoria's Secret in the same mall kept giving her 38 and 40Cs. I wore a 34B for years with fair to poor results, depending on brand and have been wearing 32DD for the past 2 years with amazing results, fitted by the same Fredrick's clerk. I think of that woman everytime I put a new bra on!

Sorry for the long post but I just read the whole thread and saw some very good points I just had to respond to.

thanks DivasDare. I read the threads alot but don't post too often. But occasionally Iget talky and can't help but put my 2 (WTH? where'd the cent sign go?!) in.

Have seen your and Lexipoo's responses in other threads, usually right on with my thinking, btw.

Glad to see you posting! Its fun when others participate... and its just about fun! Oh, and I'm wordy too. And its O K...

I have spanx brand items, but sometimes I really need a stronger bullet wear as I call it. On the ship I will only wear the stronger stuff for formal night, but depending on the fabric, I will have on some type of compression wear... with no shame. lol:D

Love all the input!!! So very sorry Kelly! I didnt mean to direct that at you. I mixed up the names. Was reading this last night & thought... What in the world is Hoya talking about..Then when saw your post today I said wait a minute & went back & reread my post. Again I am so sorry. Thats what I get. I rarely come back on a snarky remark. Usually just iqnore them as I figure attention is what they are after. I was enjoying all the advice here so much cb just irritated me. Guess diet getting to me. Making me on edge not to mention just plain wrong for calling your name. I am sorry.

Love all the input!!! So very sorry Kelly! I didnt mean to direct that at you. I mixed up the names. Was reading this last night & thought... What in the world is Hoya talking about..Then when saw your post today I said wait a minute & went back & reread my post. Again I am so sorry. Thats what I get. I rarely come back on a snarky remark. Usually just iqnore them as I figure attention is what they are after. I was enjoying all the advice here so much cb just irritated me. Guess diet getting to me. Making me on edge not to mention just plain wrong for calling your name. I am sorry.

No problems at all :) This isn't the best form of communication anyway.

On a somewhat related note I just bought my Mom a Spanx swim suit at Target today. She's got a good shape but in her words "At 55 there are now lumps and bumps where there shouldn't be." I'll let you all know how she likes the suit.

Wow Lesliekurz--I didn't know there were Spanx swimsuits. Maybe I should check those out at Target. I have some years in your mother, and no doubt more lumps and bumps. I have my "old lady" swimsuit from LL Bean (with skirt!), and probably won't get too much chance to wear it as we are going transatlantic (N. Atlantic) in early June; one of the pools is indoor/outdoor and has a retractable roof, but the rest are outdoor.

One piece but they had Spanx tankinis too that looked very similar. Only downside to the tankinis however were that the bottoms were super full coverage. Like they went from below the bust down and covered your butt and then some.

One piece but they had Spanx tankinis too that looked very similar. Only downside to the tankinis however were that the bottoms were super full coverage. Like they went from below the bust down and covered your butt and then some.

Even I don't need that much coverage. :p Thanks. I'll be hitting my local TARGET soon!!

Archived