Spanx.. There I said it! Questions

Can someone please explain these to me? Are spanx really any different from the old fashioned girdles? Dont they just squeeze the fat up & over the top so your abdomen is a "little" flatter ( not much) and the midriff a huge more noticeable roll??? I want & need something but fear will be a waste of money. I'm guessing they do just like girdles did only come with a higher price tag.

They come in all shapes/designs. I got one that comes up to the bottom of my bra and down to mid-thigh so I could eliminate panty lines. I think most of them provide a pretty smooth line. I tried on quite a few -- hated some, and the one I settled on cost about half as much as the "spanx" brand.

They're basically a modern day girdle - sucks everything in - but they're more comfortable then a girdle. You can get them in various shapes, from just panties, some that include bra, some are slip shaped so no bulges anywhere. some go clear down over thighs to sleak the thighs down too.

You're right...they're a girdle...but no snaps and hooks....they pull on like underwear. I think they're hot and uncomfortable.....they may smooth, but they won't really make you smaller....if you got something a size smaller than you are, stuff pop out from above and below!

If your clothes fit properly, they will hide any bumps and bulges you may have!

Some of our older, less firm bodies welcome a spanx or some other shaper under fitted clothes. If they the dress as well as the shaper fit properly, the less than 'ripped, sculptured' body will have a smoother look in your nice clothes.

If you have a dress made of that ever so often used polyester matte jersey...with wonderful drape...then having some sort of smoothing undergarments (shapewear) can make a BIG difference in the appearance of your figure. Not necessarily because of bumps and bulges, but because of pantylines...and let's face it...IF you have elastic on your underwear, it makes a line and if you don't...then you yank it up all night long!

These illustrations on the David's Bridal website really highlight what shapewear can do:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StyleGuideDressGuideView?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&contentName=lingerie&categoryId=3001990&categoryId=3001990

You don't have to buy something that makes you feel like you are wearing an ace bandage...or something that is such a struggle to pull up and/or down that using the ladies room is a hassle. I went searching for something that would just help with smoothing and helping with pantylines....and I discovered "Just Enough" high waist brief by TC Fine Shapewear:

http://www.dillards.com/product/TC-Fine-Shapewear-Just-Enough-Wonderful-Edge%C2%AE-HiWaist-Brief_301_-1_301_501302485

The elastic at the top is very similar to an athletic style shelf bra elastic (more supportive than a knit fashion cami shirt or tank). It stays put without binding. There is a special way that they finished off the leg openings that CAN make it a little difficult to put on at first...because the silicon edging wants to stick your legs on the way up...but once there...it DOESN'T move and it is COMFORTABLE...the rest of the garment can best be described as good quality bathing suit fabric. It is supportive and smoothing without making you feel like you can't breathe. The fabric itself is also not horribly hot, so it is very comfortable to wear under your dress. AND it is effective enough and comfortable enough that you CAN wear your regular underwear underneath so that you can wear it for more than one formal night. HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend.

But be aware that there are THREE levels of this type of garment from this manufacturer. They also make "Even More" and "Total Control." AVOID!! These do exactly what you were concerned about.

You want "Just Enough."

I love them! Just bought three more pairs this week. I buy the "Assets" brand from Sara Blakely. JC Penny has recently started carrying them along with Target and David's Bridals.

I wouldn't compare them in any way to an old fashioned girdle...these are very comfortable.:)

13369660_265x265_pad.jpg

If your clothes fit properly, they will hide any bumps and bulges you may have!

I don't know why you keep saying that. I wear well fitting clothes and have a lot of excess skin from losing 40% of my body weight that I need to smooth to look nice. Nobody wants to see my belly that hangs all the over by my hip on the side...in my nice fitting size 8 skirt.

And it's kinda like saying if your top fits, you don't need a bra....most people need a bra.

Anyway....it just bugs me every time you say that.

Some of our older, less firm bodies welcome a spanx or some other shaper under fitted clothes. If they the dress as well as the shaper fit properly, the less than 'ripped, sculptured' body will have a smoother look in your nice clothes.

ITA (I totally agree);) And the proper bra for support, strapless or one-shoulder is a MUST!:cool:

I don't know why you keep saying that. I wear well fitting clothes and have a lot of excess skin from losing 40% of my body weight that I need to smooth to look nice. Nobody wants to see my belly that hangs all the over by my hip on the side...in my nice fitting size 8 skirt.

And it's kinda like saying if your top fits, you don't need a bra....most people need a bra.

Anyway....it just bugs me every time you say that.

Don't worry about her, she comes, makes this same statement every time and then leaves...she won't come back again. A fly by.

Many women have imperfections (or what they perceive to be imperfections) in all sizes. I was once told by a bra fitter that it is rare to have a woman completely happy with their body. Even the skinny ones have issues.

Then I read recently that some actresses on the red carpet will wear 2 pair of Spanx...so much for those perfect bodies.

I buy clothing that fits well, then enhance the look with a good bra and a good pair of Spanx to make it all look a little bit better. For people who find them terribly uncomfortable, ot they roll down, go up a size or two, you're not getting the proper fit. I don't think they hold in like a girdle, just a bit of help in crucial areas.

For those of you who wear a shaper that comes up to the bra line, doesn't it roll down when you sit. I've looked at them and like the concept but haven't purchased it because I'm sure it'll land in a great big roll at my waist the minute I sit down. :(

For those of you who wear a shaper that comes up to the bra line, doesn't it roll down when you sit. I've looked at them and like the concept but haven't purchased it because I'm sure it'll land in a great big roll at my waist the minute I sit down. :(

The shaper I wear doesn't roll down, which really surprised the heck out of me!! It is the spanx brand and very comfortable...I always order one size up, just for comfort sake.

Neverthought

Ohhh hadnt thought about it rolling down. That good question.

Well I am old & I've lost 60 pounds & aiming for 40 more before I cruise in June. Yes, I realize that probably wont happen. But, I have all this loose skin so I'm starting to wonder what was the point in losing.Yeah yeah yeah health, heart, avoiding some diseases, blah blah blah. Obviously those things dont encourage me. Now cruising..... and being able to put on a bathing suit & go down that waterslide....or a pair of shorts...Now we talkin!!

I keep reading 85% of women wear the wrong bra. I know I'm one of them. I'm wearing a 46 DD. the cups are loose, the girls are hanging to my elbow, & I can pull my back strap out 6 to 10 inches to hook it. I wore 26 pants & am wearing 18 now. I'm tall so if I could get in a 16 & breathe I'd be tickled.I worked all my life nursing & a good baggy pair of scrubs & comfortable tennis shoes was my fashion. I cant stand anything constricting but am rethinking the foundation. I'm not even gonna start talking about hair & make up. I was reading another thread about face primer etc. Wow thought primer for painting. Sooooo, I'm single & my last date was 1973.

I'm about to come out of these scrubs & shock my kids.

I need a personal make over!!!

Ohhh hadnt thought about it rolling down. That good question.

Well I am old & I've lost 60 pounds & aiming for 40 more before I cruise in June. Yes, I realize that probably wont happen. But, I have all this loose skin so I'm starting to wonder what was the point in losing.Yeah yeah yeah health, heart, avoiding some diseases, blah blah blah. Obviously those things dont encourage me. Now cruising..... and being able to put on a bathing suit & go down that waterslide....or a pair of shorts...Now we talkin!!

I keep reading 85% of women wear the wrong bra. I know I'm one of them. I'm wearing a 46 DD. the cups are loose, the girls are hanging to my elbow, & I can pull my back strap out 6 to 10 inches to hook it. I wore 26 pants & am wearing 18 now. I'm tall so if I could get in a 16 & breathe I'd be tickled.I worked all my life nursing & a good baggy pair of scrubs & comfortable tennis shoes was my fashion. I cant stand anything constricting but am rethinking the foundation. I'm not even gonna start talking about hair & make up. I was reading another thread about face primer etc. Wow thought primer for painting. Sooooo, I'm single & my last date was 1973.

I'm about to come out of these scrubs & shock my kids.

I need a personal make over!!!

Congrats on your weight loss and new journeys to come. A new professional makeover seems like such fun on Hoda and Kathy Lee when they do them, and the family members are always shocked to see their "mom" or "loved one" all dolled up.

If you should try it, I hope you have fun!

The one I have...I put my bra over it. It also has a nice "grip" where the elastic would be at the top of it. I have one that doesn't pull up quite that high and doesn't have a nice grip and does roll slightly sometimes.

No, it doesn't roll down when you sit. For the "Just Enough" style that I use, the band is a soft fabric like elastic similar to what is used in shelf bras for athletic tops with the built in shelf bras. The rest of the brief is made out of tricot fabric which is typically used in lingerie...it can be likened to good quality swimwear. It isn't a heavy weight fabric, so the elastic has no problem staying put and keeping the fabric in place.

Love, love, love Spanx and Assets. I think I have every version of them from the Power Panties to the full slip. Wouldn't go out without them. I'm not a tiny woman but have no rolling problems with the Spanx at all. :)

I have a Spanx that is like a long line panty with loops and hooks so you can attach it to your own bra. I got it for my wedding because you could see my belly button divot through my dress. It worked wonders. I don't think I'd wear it on a cruise because it's a literal pain in the ass and quite frankly I don't know nor will I ever see you people again so who cares if you see my lumps and bumps. Haha.

If you want to get the full "shapewear" experience go to Nordstrom with a few of your cruise garments and try, try, try on. You'll get to check out all the different options in person and see the results in a well lit space full of length mirrors and women who will give you an honest opinion (if you want it). Good luck!

I haven't tried spanx, so I don't know if these prices are good or not.

But supposedly, the there is a sale on them here:

http://www.bebeautiful.com/catalog/outlet?filters=tid%3A987%20tid%3A331&solrsort=fs_uc_sell_price%20asc&rows=12

I need something that would suck my tummy in so I don't have too. I don't think Spanx or anthing short of the old school lace up corsets would do that for me, do you?

I think of Spanx like a minimizer bra for other parts of my body. Is it going to drastically change my shape? No. But will it help me fit into something that might otherwise pull a little in an unflattering way? Maybe:p

Nordstrom??? Lololol...Sorry I Lol because I live in rural Mississippi. Very rural!!! My closest neighbor is 5 miles away. But in town ( yep town not city) we did just get a McDonalds inside our 1 gas station combo convenience store. Hey the big town 30 miles away just got a grocery store.

Seriously, Memphis is bout 70 miles away & they have some malls w/Macy's & J C Penny

I was also going to suggest the shapewear at Target, Assets, Hanes and Suddenly Skinny. I love SS cami's which I wear under knits and slinky materials to give me a smoother finish. And they don't break the bank and easily accessible. Also, Flexees by Maidenform are nice as well.

Archived