Which one do you like more? Time at sea or time in port

Sea or port?  

376 members have voted

1. 1. Sea or port?

• Time at sea
    • Time in port

TATKA!!! You still didn't answer the question!!! LOL!!! (See you in the gym!!!)

MY PERSONAL OPINION: The older you get...The more you cruise...The more you cruise the more you like the days at sea!!!

ROSS (I never want to leave the ship!!!)

Our last two cruises were the Constellation Scandinavia and British Isles, and this summer the Millennium Mediterranean - all very port intensive. We enjoy the sea days, usually a nice break from all of the touring, but our goal is to see a lot while we still can climb hills and walk cobblestone streets (we’re in our 60’s and still mobile for now! :) ).

Of course, we live in Florida year round, so the Caribbean trips don't tempt us very much.

FLJudi

We have recently tried to book cruises that are at least 40-50% sea days.

Sea days are so-o-o-o incredibly relaxing. And those port days can be so intensive schedule wise depending, of course, on the activity.

Another major factor (at least for some): when you're on the ship (and if you don''t drink or gamble) you know exactly how much money you're spending. Perhaps that way you have some more money to spend on an interesting shore excurson.

I couldn't vote because you are missing catagories. Life isn't that black and white. I like both at sea and at port. However, the cruise industry has changed for longer cruises. In years past there were more "at sea" days interspersed with "at port" days that stayed for two or three days. Now the goal seems to be to make as many port stops as possible - I suspect to drive up revenue from the lucrative excursions. Anyway, I didn't vote because you need more catagories.

I like lots of ports,2 sea days max. For those who get tired with all the ports you can still stay on the ship and veg. With lots of sea days you don't have the privledge of leaving the ship. I like the ship life but every night is plenty for me..

I would think it depends on which port you are in. We've done Celebrity Zenith from NYC to Bermuda. Loved the trip down, loved being in Bermuda even more. We did Carnival Fascination to the Sea.....it was supposed to go to Nassau. Hurricane Jeanne was there and so we floated around for 3 days. Not as much fun. We were all geared up to do Nassau. So after 3 days on the high seas, I prefer to be in a port, as long as the port is worth seeing. 8-)

I can't choose either way. I love being on the ship, on the water...but I have always been a very active traveler, just raised that way. I definitely love to just relax, feel the waves, go to the spa, dress for dinner and all that, but I can't stand the idea of traveling so far to get somewhere and not seeing everything I can. I have been known to book 2 excursions in one port, schedule permitting, because I just don't want to waste it! I can't relate to those who stay on the ship while in port. Even repeat visits for me still warrant a walk, sit in a cafe, etc. I will say that many days in a row of excursions that start at 7:30 am (HAL) are exhausting but the experience is usually worth it. I did tell them in a feedback group that one more sea day would have been ideal, making it 3 out of 10 (or make the cruise 11-day.) Two was too little, and I really enjoyed that ship. So I would have to say both, with enthusiasm for both. Great poll!

After having only 2 sea days (the first day out and one mid-voyage) on a 12 day Baltic cruise in a balcony room (and we hardly used the balcony at all) we now look for something closer to a 50/50 split. Way too many ports and way too little relax time on those 10 ports in 12 day marathons.

We just did our first cruise -- on the Century. Loved it. I found that I preferred sea days. I like to visit new places but your time in port is so short and you spend so much time getting to/from your excursion, it almost seemed like a waste of time to me.

In the future I will look for 9-10 day cruises with 3-4 sea days.

TATKA!!! You still didn't answer the question!!! LOL!!! (See you in the gym!!!)

MY PERSONAL OPINION: The older you get...The more you cruise...The more you cruise the more you like the days at sea!!!

ROSS (I never want to leave the ship!!!)

:)

If I only liked sea days..I would go on All-Inclusive. (as we did twice before we started cruising). Honestly in A/I we have free drinks, nice beach, bigger room for the same type of money.

The reason I like cruising more is the ability to see new places!

I get bored easily in A/I, as I hate to spend all day on the beach. If you check our cruises they cover different locations:

Eastern Caribbean, Western Caribbean, Med Sea, California. We might repeat itineraries, but that will happen after we visited all places we wanted to see first.;)

I love sea days too..but 1 between the ports is enough. (2 , 2.5 on 7 day cruise)

I guess I'm in the minority...I love searching out those beautiful beaches and swimming and snorkeling in the caribbean, then coming back to the ship for a nice dinner..only to set sail for a new beach..my preference is at least 4 port days on a 7 day cruise.

Without a doubt, the sea days. Cruising is fun because of the time at sea, the ambiance, the mix of people and new friends that you establish. For someone that doesn't have the opportunity to visit an area a stay for periods of time, a cruise is a way of seeing more. However, if you really want to know, see, and experience a place, staying their is the only way.

My favorite example would be Hawaii. We have been their for over 50 weeks during the past 20 years and would never think of telling anyone to sail there and cruise around the islands.

We just came back from an 11 day cruise and the best part of it was the new friends we made and the good times that we had on board the ship with them. We actually used the cruise critic board to select a group of people to dine with each evening. The 10 of us who each selected one of the group couldn't have done a better job if we lined up all the people ahead of time. We all got along so well that we were usually the last people out of the dining room every evening at 10:45. All of us have already plans to see some of our tablemates at one point during the next year.

Ron

I just realized that there really are more sea days on our cruise then I thought.2 sea days up front.Then when we leave Tallin @ 3 p.m. we don't get into Copenhagen until 8 p.m. the next day so that is a sea day.Then last day will be a relaxing sea day.

The ocean is what cruising is all about, not being tied up to a dock and walking all over some port where I am besieged by vendors. For that reason, I have no desire to cruise the Caribbean and follow in the footsteps of many thousands of "cruisers" who were there before me just a couple of hours before. I have read reports of some instances where there have been as many as six ships in port at the same time, disgorging up to 12,000 people to clog up the place !!

Archived