1st timers .............dont know where to start

canadianjovigirl

Hi all, hoping someone can share some planning tips as everything is so overwhelming. I did pop into a travel agent and they just gave me a bunch of books to look over.

We dont have a preference of when we travel, but do know we want to go somewhere warm and wanting at least 7 days on board. There would be 2 adults and we have 2 kids currently 11 and 13, boy/girl so they wont share beds and having trouble finding rooms that dont have a sofabed as that wont work for us. Any tips on what ships would be good for our family that has beds that would work for us............

Just needing a starting point and when i think i found something it ends up being a sofa bed so back to step one i go. Was hoping to not spend more than $6000 base price as we would also like to spend some time prior to cruising at our port city and would have our airfare as well. Is that enough for a cruise or should we stick to all inclusive vacations?

First, your budget is ample, for a 7-night, with air.

Christmas and Spring break generally cause a substantial price spike, so if your kids happen to go to a school with some non-traditional schedule, look at a break time they don't share with the rest of the schools.

Since you've not cruised before, you're likely looking at balcony rooms. At least consider two adjoining inside room. It solves your sleeping arrangements, and gives you an extra bathroom, and could easily end up costing less.

Just as an example. You could do two inside rooms on a 7-night Celebrity sailing to Bermuda from Bayonne, NJ, for a total of $3750.72. Add flights from where you are to Newark, or NYC, and there you go.

Harris

Denver, CO

Some RCI ships have pullmans....the come down from the wall or ceiling above the main bed. Some have 1 pullman and a sofabed....some have 2 pullmans and no sofabed...there are many combos. Check the deck plans for the type of bedding in each specific cabin. there are symbols on the deck plans to show the bedding.

If you can swing it, I'd go for 2 cabins....one for the kids (they each get their own twin bed) and one for you adults! Connecting, if you can....some ships have a balcony that connects to an inside....

Some RCI ships have pullmans....the come down from the wall or ceiling above the main bed. Some have 1 pullman and a sofabed....some have 2 pullmans and no sofabed...there are many combos. Check the deck plans for the type of bedding in each specific cabin. there are symbols on the deck plans to show the bedding.

If you can swing it, I'd go for 2 cabins....one for the kids (they each get their own twin bed) and one for you adults! Connecting, if you can....some ships have a balcony that connects to an inside....

Are the kids allowed to be in a room by themselves?? What ships offer the connectiong rooms that you mention?? Are you able to book two rooms on line at the same time or are you needing to call to get them close together. The kids wont be little so would be fine to sleep in their own room.

The kids can have their own room, if it adjoins.

You can see the adjoining rooms on the websites, or call the cruise line, and ask them to tell you which rooms adjoin.

Harris

Denver, CO

Hi all, hoping someone can share some planning tips as everything is so overwhelming. I did pop into a travel agent and they just gave me a bunch of books to look over.

We dont have a preference of when we travel, but do know we want to go somewhere warm and wanting at least 7 days on board. There would be 2 adults and we have 2 kids currently 11 and 13, boy/girl so they wont share beds and having trouble finding rooms that dont have a sofabed as that wont work for us. Any tips on what ships would be good for our family that has beds that would work for us............

Just needing a starting point and when i think i found something it ends up being a sofa bed so back to step one i go. Was hoping to not spend more than $6000 base price as we would also like to spend some time prior to cruising at our port city and would have our airfare as well. Is that enough for a cruise or should we stick to all inclusive vacations?

From what you are describing I would recommend two cabins. You might have to register as Mom & daughter in one and Dad & son in the other, but you can switch that on board.

Next I would suggest flying into either Orlando, Florida or Miami, Florida.

On June 1, 2013 you could get a balcony cabin for the parents and an inside cabin for the kids for about $3,800 on the Carnival Dream out of Port Canaveral (Orlando).

Or on June 1, 2013 you could get one ocean view cabins on the Oasis of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale (Miami) for about $3,500 to $3,800 or two ocean view cabins for about $4,800.

Or on April 28, 2013 (the summer schedule for the Freedom of the Seas is not showing yet) you could get a balcony and an inside across the hall for about $3,800 on the Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral.

All the above cruises go to the Caribbean.

If we were wanting a winter cruise, when do you need to book those by and are they less busy then during the summer?? Just trying to get away from our cold cold winters and the kids have a break end of November and then one in December and another in February and then the normal spring break in April...........

I am being told that Royal Caribbean and Norweigen are the best for families with kids our ages.........is that true??

Some sofa beds are more like a daybed. Sofa durng the day and a twin bed at night, not a folding mattress. Read the cabin descriptions.

If you do decide to book two cabins decide if you want connecting cabins (with a door between them) or not.

As a family we like Carnival.

If we were wanting a winter cruise, when do you need to book those by and are they less busy then during the summer?? Just trying to get away from our cold cold winters and the kids have a break end of November and then one in December and another in February and then the normal spring break in April...........

I am being told that Royal Caribbean and Norweigen are the best for families with kids our ages.........is that true??

The sooner you book the better. I've got cruises booked for January and March of 2013.

Maybe i am just not looking at the right places or something as all i can find is sleep 4, but nothing about the bed configurations, even under the pictures i cant tell...........been looking over RCCL, NCL and now Carnivals site. How frustrating......................

I like RCCL. I'm not a fan of Norwegian, but that's just me.

On the RCCL website go to "plan a cruise" then "ships", then pick the one you're interested in and select "deck plans". There are symbols to show which rooms connect, and what the bedding options are.

Feel free to drop me an e-mail at: motorlessons (at) hotmail (dot) com. (Although I leave tomorrow on a cruise :) )

I'd look at the November or February breaks for the kids, as those aren't common here.

Harris

Denver, CO

Maybe i am just not looking at the right places or something as all i can find is sleep 4, but nothing about the bed configurations, even under the pictures i cant tell...........been looking over RCCL, NCL and now Carnivals site. How frustrating......................

Just go the the www.rccl.com site.

Follow the bouncing ball, and book some fake cruises. You will get all the info you need on the costs.

I would start by booking a room for two inside. Then just figure twice the price, then call RCI and discuss with them.

Also, as previously mentioned, consider one balcony and an inside across the hall for the kids.

Thanks guys..........will continue to stumble around on their site. I just feel like a fish out of water as i am used to booking Mexican all inclusive, and thought that was confusing picking a resort. This is a whole new ball game as not only do i need to figure out a cruise line, but then the ship and then the many choices of rooms etc etc all before i can plan fun stuff. I think a balcony room for adults and then a room across the hall or connecting would be the best way to go, but many say your not in your room much so a room with a regular bed and then 2 pull downs or i pull down and sofa bed would work too.............

Oh the decisions to make............and i cant even decide what Caribbean cruise i want as there's, eastern, western etc etc and each cruise line has different stops and then i'm being told about their private islands blah blah blah...........

Guess its time to pull out the ol notebook and start making notes of everything. Wish i would just find a great review that gave me all the info on the room and then i could just book the same cruise in the same room

Cruisefare very dependent on the months you are going. For the typical 7-nights Caribbean cruise departing from Florida, the low seasons are first couple of weeks before US Thanksgiving, the week right after US Thanksgiving to mid December, then early January after New Year to mid February, then some time April after Easter holiday to later in April before many of the ships reposition to Alaska or Europe, with the exception of some RCI, Carnival and Disney ships staying there which they do year-round Caribbean cruises.

For low seasons, your budget should be ok including airfare (assuming you are flying from a major hub in the east coast in Canada, like Toronto).

I concur with the suggestion to start with Royal Caribbean. That's what my local TA suggested for our first cruise - Liberty of the Seas. I'll consider it is the most middle-of-the-road line amongst the mainstream sector.

I would suggest to visit a local travel agency that specializes in selling cruises. When I went into mine the first time, they not only gave me brochure but listened from me what we want, what options are out there. Some basics of cruising like flying, departure port, deck plan, type of cabin, the basic logistic of embarkation and debarkation, transfer to port, payment deadline, last-minute deal, Western vs Eastern Caribbean, etc. Actually all of these information is at various places here in Cruisecritic (which is basically the best cruise consultant in the world:)) but you want to talk to someone for your first to know how/where to start.

For us, once I have done a couple of cruises with her, I now learned more about cruising (and more about our preferences too) and do the booking on my own cruise through an online cruise agency that gives better perks.

Thanks, but i have not included airfare in that amount as we are in Western Canada and prices vary greatly. I have flown to Florida for less than $400 per person all the way to $800 per person.

I have no travel agents where i live, other than an hour away and thats where i got the brochure from and she really didnt have alot to say other than to look it over and let her know if she could book something for us :eek:

Youtube is a good source. People post videos of their cabins there :)

Thanks, but i have not included airfare in that amount as we are in Western Canada and prices vary greatly. I have flown to Florida for less than $400 per person all the way to $800 per person.

I have no travel agents where i live, other than an hour away and thats where i got the brochure from and she really didnt have alot to say other than to look it over and let her know if she could book something for us :eek:

That's fine. Maybe find a few agencies from yellow page with real office also with 1-800 number and talk to them. Just by how helpful/knowledgeable (or the opposite) each is, and whether you feel comfortable talking to and if get the feeling that they know what you want, you can narrow down. There is no obligation to get advice from TA and to get quote from them. If they want to sell you cruise (or travel in general), they have to service you. It is up to you to choose whomever one you think is best match to you (price, services, etc)

I cruise on Carnival myself, but with the ages of your kids, I would reccommend Royal. I'm remembering age 13 and would have loved to try Royal's rock climbing wall or flowrider. Carnival ships have waterslides that range from boring up to a small size 'water park', depends on the ship as to what is offered. I'm not as well versed on ammenities each ship offers as others here. I find an itenerary that looks good and Google the ship itself. There is a wealth of information on the internet from cruise blogs, Youtube videos and pictures on Flickr or Photobucket. I have been known to call the cruise line, just to ask questions and get information. I let them know I'm thinking about booking, but can't find a specific type of cabin, as an example, on their website. They have always answered my question or directed me to the correct information. They have never pressured me to book, but tell me they would be there whenever I was ready to book. Hope this helps.

Here's two suggestions in addition to what's been mentioned above:

1) once you've selected your cabins (if you do go with two cabins), make sure your booking is marked "no upgrade." Else, you run the risk of one of the cabins being moved.

2) get to your embarkation port at least a day ahead, especially as you're considering winter time cruises. Even if you're planning to leave from Florida, you'll want to make sure your flight gets off the ground. And sometimes there's weather problems even with southern US ports.

I do know from experience that Princess inside cabins have the third and fourth beds fold down from the wall or ceiling. Just sayin'.

Here's a link to a website where people can upload pictures of their cabin and you can check out many cabins on different lines/ships:

Well, the site won't let me post the link. Maybe if you are looking for a cruise line room on google something will come up.

We travel with 2 boys about that age, I couldn't get them to sleep on a sofa bed together w/o risking bloodshed so I know how you feel! Though currently we are booked in a room with 1 bed which might or might not separate into 2 (can't get a solid answer from anywhere..) and a full sofa bed. If they separate all good, me and DH will sleep on the sofa, if they don't we will figure something out on board.

That being said, there is a LOT out there, and almost any ship will have the type of room you are looking for, be it 1 room with a sofa/pullman or 2 connecting rooms with in your price range.

As for not knowing where you want to go, I can tell you what I do in my house :) I will pick 2-3 cruises in the time frame I want to go that go to different places. Then I will make everyone sit around my computer and look threw the ship excursions for those places. Whichever has the most OMG I wanna do that!! goes up higher on the list. Then it is looking at prices and cabins and actual sail times and narrowing it down from there.

Another option is to just look directly at the ships and go from there. Ships differ a great deal. You have the big ones with everything you can think of (rock climbing, Floriders, can't see anywhere else entertainment) to those who are the "old fashioned" cruise ships which don't have anything like that. Again all personal preference. No one in my house would use things like the rock climbing or such, and while I would like some of the NCL Epic shows, no one else would. We actually like the smaller ships with less bells and whistles (and people) but if your kids foam at the mouth at the though of the rock wall or surfing on the boat then it might make the decision easier for where to go.

For cruise lines themselves, I think it depends a lot on the kids. My boys, who were no way raised Disney loved their Disney cruise, enjoyed Carnival and absolutely HATED RCCL. We shall see about NCL in a few years (or sooner if I can swing it!). Our RCCL cruise was in the peak of summer though (early July) and it was very crowded which is was probably lead to their dislike TBH.

If you are really flexible with dates and just know you want a room with X or 2 connecting rooms, you can always wait for a good sale from whatever you are looking at. Sales while not always the best deals to be honest, can off-set some costs. We booked threw an NCL sale with a Travel Agent. By the end of our booking, I had 1/6th of the cost in OBC (over $1000) just for booking when I did.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned. When looking at the cruise fares, keep in mind that this doesn't include the daily service charge/gratuity for the cruise. It can be anywhere from $10-12 per day per person. You can pre-pay it with the cruise cost or have it put on your on board account during the cruise. For a family of 4, it can be a good amount of money. The thing is the cruise lines don't factor it into booking price.

Best of luck in planning to you! It can take a lot of work, esp making sure 4 people are happy, but it really can be worth it!

Archived