Trying to Predict Whether We Will Get to Cococay Due to Wind Conditions???

LaShelle2

OK CC Family,

I have been praying to the weather gods we will not have to skip Cococay because of high winds.

I read on Bahamas board the last 2-3 ships were not able to tender. Cococay is my fave stop of the Monarch Cruise, so I would be devastated if we do not make it. I may jump overboard and try to swim there :rolleyes:.

I am curious if any weather nerds on here has decoded what would the unfavorable wind conditions be that would prevent a ship from tendering.

The forecast predicts 8mph SW winds the day we will be there and 80 degrees if this helps. The days prior, winds are 20-25mph.

Also, if any of you misssed Cococay, share what the winds were like please.

Ok, at least that gives me some idea. 8 is a lot less than 30+, so even if the 8mph ends up being higher, we stand a decent chance.

I HATE THE UNPREDICTABILITY OF TENDERED PORTS! But the beauty and peacefulness of Cococay is so worth it once you do finally get there and exhale a sigh of relief that you did not get cancelled.

Ok, at least that gives me some idea. 8 is a lot less than 30+, so even if the 8mph ends up being higher, we stand a decent chance.

I HATE THE UNPREDICTABILITY OF TENDERED PORTS! But the beauty and peacefulness of Cococay is so worth it once you do finally get there and exhale a sigh of relief that you did not get cancelled.

The determining factor is wave height / roughness as that is critical to safe disembarkation / embarkation to and from the tenders at the ship. I don't know what the go/no go point is, however. That happend to us years ago with Coco Cay as well and they re-routed us to Nassau.

The determining factor is wave height / roughness as that is critical to safe disembarkation / embarkation to and from the tenders at the ship. I don't know what the go/no go point is, however. That happend to us years ago with Coco Cay as well and they re-routed us to Nassau.

I am assuming waves will be higher if the winds are stronger, that's why I was trying to determine what is considered a strong wind speed. We have been lucky to tender to cococay with no problems both cruises so far. I am hoping this one wil not be an exception.

They altered the sea day from last to first, and we got to Coco Kay the last day and were tendered. I wonder if all 4 day Monarch cruises have that option.

I have been on a CCL cruise that switched the order of our stops due to weather. I think the otin of this would depend on availability of a "parking spot" at the alternative port.

I really do think they try to make the best of a situation when weather spoils a cruise. Nothing worse than 4000 angry cruise passengers stuck on a boat.

I am assuming waves will be higher if the winds are stronger, that's why I was trying to determine what is considered a strong wind speed. We have been lucky to tender to cococay with no problems both cruises so far. I am hoping this one wil not be an exception.

You are correct but that's the point - only the captain knows what the magic number is and it may vary by ship, etc. The last thing the cruise lines want to do is disrupt an itinerary - not good for the customers and costs them $ as well to change with extra fuel costs, port fees, lost island revenue, etc. No way to know for certain until you get there. So hope for the best and enjoy!

During the past year we have been on itineraries that scheduled Coco Cay 8 times and never had it cancelled. The closest that we came was on the Enchantment March 10 cruise when tender boarding was delayed, began, halted to reposition the ship, and then resumed...all do to high swells.

I really do think they try to make the best of a situation when weather spoils a cruise. Nothing worse than 4000 angry cruise passengers stuck on a boat.

Have you heard the story of the cruise in 2002 that tendered to CocoCay and the winds picked up so much while they were there that 300 passengers were unable to reboard the ship and had to spend a cold night on the island? Now that might be worse!

Archived