Cruise ship use-by date. What's an old ship?

I have read on this forum about all the old hand-me-down cruise ships being "Dumped" on our shores. But what is an old ship and does that make it a Bad ship? I look back when We sailed on the Britanis in 1974 when she was 42years old, that ship went on to be 54 years old by the time she was laid-up. The QM2 was 41 when taken out of service, the Fairstar 40, the Athena, 58and still going. So we got a couple of ships 22-27 years old working out of Sydney, I maintain that doesn't make them Heaps of Rusty Rubbish. What say you.

I totally agree with you. Old does not necessarily mean bad. QE2 is a perfect example. And how many people cruised on Fairstar and DIDN'T have a good time?????????????Not many and certainly not this little duck:)

Don't take it too seriously mate. There's only certain people on here who believe that the age of a ship affects your enjoyment of that ship (and anyone that does enjoy a cruise on an "older" ship clearly have no standards). I don't think "old" is the right word. When people no longer wish to sail on a ship because it's become outdated, that's when it's time to move it on. Things can be done to remedy that though (refurbs, etc). :)

Ha ha.I dont take it too seriously. But don't you think that passenger ships (aka cruise) have Always had refits and refurbs. It's not a new idea. Even after refurbs it seems that it's still an OLD ship

There's nothing wrong with the so-called "old" ships. :) As long as they are clean and well maintained and the staff/crew members are happy, I'm happy. It's the people who make the cruise, not the surroundings.

I don't much like the cluttered look of the modern apartment block ships or the lack of open deck space. However, that would not stop me from cruising on one, given the right circumstances.

The mv Athena built in 1948 (64 years old) as the mv Stockholm a Swedish transatlantic liner is still going strong after having a collision with an Italian liner the Andrea Doria in 1956 off the Nantucket coast. The Andrea Doria sank with a heavy loss of lives while the Athena escaped with a crumpled bow.

It is amazing that the old classic ship still does world cruises out of Fremantle.

Ha ha.I dont take it too seriously. But don't you think that passenger ships (aka cruise) have Always had refits and refurbs. It's not a new idea. Even after refurbs it seems that it's still an OLD ship
I guess everyone will have different answers. Refurbs can be small, or quite extensive. You might think a ship is old (even after refurbs), while I might think the ship is beautiful after a refurb. It's such an objective topic. :)

The mv Athena built in 1948 (64 years old) as the mv Stockholm a Swedish transatlantic liner is still going strong after having a collision with an Italian liner the Andrea Doria in 1956 off the Nantucket coast. The Andrea Doria sank with a heavy loss of lives while the Athena escaped with a crumpled bow.

It is amazing that the old classic ship still does world cruises out of Fremantle.

Not quite correct. Launched 1946. But not ready for delivery till 1948. But

It is when a ship frequently has engine failure or aircon failure effecting the cruise or comfort of the passengers that annoys me and puts me off of going with that particular line again. I have not travelled with P & O since a cruise with them back in the 90's where the ship's engines and the aircon broke down terminating the cruise half way turned me off of them. Incidently, that particular ship was disposed of shortly after but I do wonder if some cruise companies hang on to some of their older and breakdown prone vessels too long. For instance I believe Dawn Princess had persistent engine problems on her last world cruise causing the by passing of some scheduled ports of call. The problems must have been addressed as I haven't heard of any more problems with "Dawn" Perhaps some ships are prone to frequent breakdowns.

As long as a ship is reliable I dont care how old it is. I prefer the "older" and compact ships like Dawn Sun & Sea to the monster sized behemoths like OASIS but that is my personal preference. Each to their own.

John

It is when a ship frequently has engine failure or aircon failure effecting the cruise or comfort of the passengers that annoys me and puts me off of going with that particular line again. I have not travelled with P & O since a cruise with them back in the 90's where the ship's engines and the aircon broke down terminating the cruise half way turned me off of them. Incidently, that particular ship was disposed of shortly after but I do wonder if some cruise companies hang on to some of their older and breakdown prone vessels too long. For instance I believe Dawn Princess had persistent engine problems on her last world cruise causing the by passing of some scheduled ports of call. The problems must have been addressed as I haven't heard of any more problems with "Dawn" Perhaps some ships are prone to frequent breakdowns.

As long as a ship is reliable I dont care how old it is. I prefer the "older" and compact ships like Dawn Sun & Sea to the monster sized behemoths like OASIS but that is my personal preference. Each to their own.

John

That pretty much sums it up. When money is not being spend on maintenace and the ship cant maintain a schedule and has ongoing problems effecting the passengers then it has to go.

Unfortunately cruise lines these days are spending the money on new ships and not the upkeep of old ones. That is why we end up with the rubbish P&O Australia has. Not allof of money os really being spent on those ships compared to their age and what they need to keep them in operation. A scrape and paint totalling a few million dollars is not the answer.

Ships can last many years. The HMAS Brisbane was 33 years old when I served on that and I thought it still had life in it. It was costly to keep in service though. Some of the oldest American aircraft carriers like USS Enterprise are 50 years old and it is due to be decommissioned this year.

A ship can only last as long as it is maintained and money spend on it keeping it operational.

In the case of P&O Australia those ships have been sent here as they are no longer marketable to the North American/European markets do to their age and they have been sent here until they are no longer operational to die a slow death.

It is when a ship frequently has engine failure or aircon failure effecting the cruise or comfort of the passengers that annoys me and puts me off of going with that particular line again.
Many newer ships suffer engine failure - Aurora, QM2, Caribbean Princess, Pacific Jewel. It can happen to any ship. Doesn't make them old.

Its hard to figure out why companies put up with persistent engine problems. The shaw Saville liner Northern Star only lasted about 13 years and was scrapped due in part to persistent engine problems. The QE2 was completely re-engined and went on to sail another twenty years. The Athena was rebuilt from the waterline up to be what she is today. It's all done by accountants in the end I suppose.

Many newer ships suffer engine failure - Aurora, QM2, Caribbean Princess, Pacific Jewel. It can happen to any ship. Doesn't make them old.

You took the words from my keyboard, finetuneit. :D Everyone conveniently forgets the recent MSC Opera, Carnival Splendor, Queen Mary 2, Celebrity Summit, Celebrity Infinity failures to name but a few. In fact Celebrity Infinity appears to have had ongoing mechanical problems.

(Many people also forget that the Norwegian Epic had a main generator engine explosion in the STX shipyard in France just before it was delivered to NCL.)

Its not that big a deal when the newer ones have techincal problems as they are often fixed up. Technical problems occur on anything even the US space program is not immune to technical difficulties.

It is the ongoing recurring breakdowns that are to do with being old and parts not being replaced and a ship not maintaining a schedule that is the problem.

Pacific Sun has severe drainage and sewage problems. There is sludge being pushed up into peoples cabins (I have the photos to prove it - so dont test me or they will end up here) and the water is building up in the shower basin and not resinding. That ship is also having continual breakdowns on a regular basis that P&O have decided its time to send it on its merry way.

As for others mentioning QE2 staying in service you must remember that it entered dry dock, had its hull cut open, engines removed and replaced with new engines at one stage in its career adding to its service life.

Its not that big a deal when the newer ones have techincal problems as they are often fixed up. .

LOL, it IS a big deal to the people on the particular cruise. :D It also happens frequently enough to cause many people inconvenience.

Pacific Sun has severe drainage and sewage problems. There is sludge being pushed up into peoples cabins (I have the photos to prove it - so dont test me or they will end up here) and the water is building up in the shower basin and not resinding. That ship is also having continual breakdowns on a regular basis that P&O have decided its time to send it on its merry way.

Strange - I haven't heard or read of either of these events happening for ages and, believe me, I read HEAPS of articles etc about cruise ships. You're the only one who keeps on reporting the same cruise that your relatives were on over and over again. I shouldn't think people would be clamouring to get on the Pacific Sun's last cruises if it was as bad as you say.

It's a well-known fact that most sewage blockages are caused by inconsiderate passengers ingnoring the rules and putting the wrong things in toilets.

Yes, by all means carry out your threat and post your photos. It won't make an iota of difference to most reasoning people. :D

Please no "poo cam". LOL

I would agree its not the age of the ship but the maintenance that is important unless you are keen on all the bells and whistles that come with a modern build ship. If you can live without waterslides and mini golf, mulitple dining options or climbing walls but want promendade decks and decent sized cabins..then older is probably better for you.

My September cruise is on a ship that started life as a ferry! After a few false starts they seem to have sorted out the problems it experienced after its rebuild and I am looking forward to experiencing such a small intimate ship.

Sue

Unfortunately cruise lines these days are spending the money on new ships and not the upkeep of old ones. That is why we end up with the rubbish P&O Australia has. Not allof of money os really being spent on those ships compared to their age and what they need to keep them in operation. A scrape and paint totalling a few million dollars is not the answer.

Ships can last many years. The HMAS Brisbane was 33 years old when I served on that and I thought it still had life in it. It was costly to keep in service though. Some of the oldest American aircraft carriers like USS Enterprise are 50 years old and it is due to be decommissioned this year.

A ship can only last as long as it is maintained and money spend on it keeping it operational.

In the case of P&O Australia those ships have been sent here as they are no longer marketable to the North American/European markets do to their age and they have been sent here until they are no longer operational to die a slow death.

Wow, so many sweeping generalisations. And as accurate as them too.

Sutho's comments (as always) remind me of the Alexandre Dumas quote "All generalisations are dangerous, even this one" :rolleyes:

Honestly, someone who considers himself as knowledgeable about ships as you do would know that blocked toilets can happen on any ship because of the peculiarities of the vacuum plumbing system they utilize and is caused by idiots flushing inappropriate items down the toilet.

To illustrate this, let me remind you that overflowing toilets and sewage issues have been reported on this very forum on Grandeur of the Seas, Aurora, Serenade of the Seas, Eurodam and Zuiderdam this year alone and we are only in March. No need to threaten to post photos, I think we all understand the concept.

When Pacific Sun leaves, I honestly think that you will have nothing to post about or maybe you will just transfer your vitriole to the next oldest P&O Australia ship. (Poor Pacific Pearl):eek:

Now regarding the topic, I personally prefer smaller ships, plenty of open decks and am unimpressed with the very glitzy, flashy Las Vegas lookalikes. New does not equal good/better in my opinion. I don't care about the age of the ship as long as it is well maintained and offers a great cruise holiday.

From reading CC boards I reckon it is not the actual age of a ship but the perceived age which is derived by applying an intricate formula ( which is secret - like the recipe for coke or vegemite). The key factors are:

R - the number of posts reporting rust on the balcony

P - the number of ports missed on a cruise

L - the number of scary loo stories

E - the number of reported elevator failures

B - the number of your friends who are unimpressed that you are cruising (again) on (........). Best book one of the new ones with a high envy index!

Research is continuing. But it is tiring reading all those posts on every board from disgruntled cruisers and those who have met someone or know someone who reported that (........) was getting very tired.

Colleen

Even the Oasis of the Seas is immune to breakdowns. On my 5 night cruise on her, there was a complete power failure that took them a hour to figure out what had actually went wrong. When they found what it was it was solve quickly, but it goes to so the age and technology in a ship does not mean it wont breakdown.

From reading CC boards I reckon it is not the actual age of a ship but the perceived age which is derived by applying an intricate formula ( which is secret - like the recipe for coke or vegemite). The key factors are:

R - the number of posts reporting rust on the balcony

P - the number of ports missed on a cruise

L - the number of scary loo stories

E - the number of reported elevator failures

B - the number of your friends who are unimpressed that you are cruising (again) on (........). Best book one of the new ones with a high envy index!

Research is continuing. But it is tiring reading all those posts on every board from disgruntled cruisers and those who have met someone or know someone who reported that (........) was getting very tired.

Colleen

Very clever Colleen, thats why I dont read negative posts!

Archived