Lounge chairs on B4 extended Balconies

Anna201213

Interesting dilemma. I don't mind a chair that does not recline, but really want to put my feet up, so I suppose I can move back and forth the small table by the couch in the cabin and use that,

I used the table provided outside

I do not think I would like to drag the coffee table in & out ;)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2015553530101934561zLbgpI

I used the table provided outside

I do not think I would like to drag the coffee table in & out ;)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2015553530101934561zLbgpI

That is a pretty big table. If there is a small table outside, I guess that will be OK. When I posted about bringing along my own lounge chair, I was joking, but it actually is beginning to sound like a good idea.

The funny thing is, the extended veranda cabins are the least expensive of all the balcony cabins. A premium is placed on central location and higher decks, so although the balconies are larger, they cost less. I like the idea of the larger balcony, but really booked it because of the lower price. I suppose the people a couple of doors down will see that although they are in a higher priced cabin, their balcony is smaller. I am sure that once people realize this, the B4 cabins will probably be the first to be sold for those who want a "B" level cabin. It is a tradeoff - larger balcony, poorer location. Allowing people the comfort of being able to lie out on their balcony instead of competing for a lounge chair around the pool would increase the availability of poolside chairs (unless Oceania is carrying them back and forth to cabins), so there would be less problems with "chair hogs" as many of us would just relax on the balcony, which is why we wanted a balcony in the first place. Providing a large balcony, and then denying a reasonable furnishing may take away the jealousy factor, but then it makes the staff on the ship have to say no when people ask for it, which would be an uncomfortable situation bound to repeat itself sailing after sailing.

I suppose Oceania can make the B4 cabin a B1, or even an A1 and change the pricing accordingly and give a lounger, but there is only so much a chair is worth.

Interesting dilemma. I don't mind a chair that does not recline, but really want to put my feet up, so I suppose I can move back and forth the small table by the couch in the cabin and use that, but the wear and tear would make Oceania have to replace it more often, costing them probably more than the lounger.

I think it is wonderful that our lives are so good that this is what worries us. I am not being sarcastic, just happy that this is my biggest problem when it comes to sailing my favorite cruise line.

Extended balcony has a drawback, besides those above looking down at you. We were on Deck 8 and spoke with couple below (extended). They thought add'l space was wasted due to 2 small chairs and the tunnel vision from within the cabin was claustrophobic. It's a trade-off and probably why no premium cost for these cabins.

Extended balcony has a drawback, besides those above looking down at you. We were on Deck 8 and spoke with couple below (extended). They thought add'l space was wasted due to 2 small chairs and the tunnel vision from within the cabin was claustrophobic. It's a trade-off and probably why no premium cost for these cabins.

They are probably only worth having if there is a way to comfortably lie out. We prefer that to suntanning around the pool where you have to jostle for a chair and have even less privacy.

They are probably only worth having if there is a way to comfortably lie out. We prefer that to suntanning around the pool where you have to jostle for a chair and have even less privacy.

Beds for 2 at pool were always available - and very romantic.....

• 3 months later...

Originally Posted by ComoCruiser viewpost.gif

We too are booked on the Riviera (Feb. 2013) in a B4. as we are celebrating a milestone anniversary aboard I phoned Oceania to request a lounge chair & was told the B4s on Riviera are all being stocked with 1 are part of original setup. So perhaps someone on the inaugural cruise could report back to us all?

Will let you know on May 6th!

Even if I have to hang over the side :eek:

035405.jpg

JimandStan please let me know about the setup

Originally Posted by ComoCruiser viewpost.gif

We too are booked on the Riviera (Feb. 2013) in a B4. as we are celebrating a milestone anniversary aboard I phoned Oceania to request a lounge chair & was told the B4s on Riviera are all being stocked with 1 are part of original setup. So perhaps someone on the inaugural cruise could report back to us all?

JimandStan please let me know about the setup

Lounge chair(s) were not part of the basic equipment on those balconies when we were on the ship, although the room attendants were very good about obtaining them for their clients.

Any lounges which are placed on those verandas are removed as a part of "resetting the room" for the start of the next cruise, so it appears to me that your request to add one should be made while you are on the ship and not in advance.

There is not any need to reserve a chair beforehand, there are plenty of them.

The partitions, in addition to creating tunnel vision, are high enough and close enough together to effectively block the sun except when the ship is at a precise angle to the sun. You would be much better off on the sun deck above the pool.

The two full-size PH3 suites on deck 7, 7128 and 7133, may be wide enough to allow more sun on their extended decks. In my opinion, only the aft-most PH3 suites on deck 7 (7130 and 7135), with only one partition each, would be effective for sun bathing on a lounge, and then only when the sun is on the same side of the ship as your deck.

Sailing January 3, 2013 on the Riviera in a B4 so I will be happy to post a report when we get home. DW originally had us booked in a Concierge cabin but switched because of the extended balcony, and is also hoping for a lounge chair.

I just looked at post 36. Is this a shot from a B4 cabin? If so, there appears to be a large overhang above the balcony. Looking on the deck plan, I can't see where this overhang is coming from. The B4 balconies on the deck plan and in pictures of the ship appear to be flush with the ones above, not with the next deck jutting out above like a huge roof. Can someone who has already been in one of these cabins please let me know what the situation is? We're scheduled to be in 7110. Thanks so much.

I just looked at post 36. Is this a shot from a B4 cabin? If so, there appears to be a large overhang above the balcony. Looking on the deck plan, I can't see where this overhang is coming from. The B4 balconies on the deck plan and in pictures of the ship appear to be flush with the ones above, not with the next deck jutting out above like a huge roof. Can someone who has already been in one of these cabins please let me know what the situation is? We're scheduled to be in 7110. Thanks so much.

We have been in 7115 on the Marina last year and in the the same cabin on the Riviera on the June 5th sailing. The overhang on the cabin is the same width as the overhangs on all the upper deck cabins (except for the last deck which I think is 12). The overhang from the balcony above (deck 8) covers about 1/3 of the B4 extended deck. Therefore, your extended balcony is not covered for about 2/3 of the deck. We like the extended balcony. Other than the sail away and sail in to ports there are usually no people on the decks above so it was a rarity we ever had anyone looking down on us. Also, my husband is fair and needs to stay out of the sun and I like to bask in the sun so the extended balcony allows us both options.

The photograph in post 36 was taken from a Vista Suite on Deck 11, the deck which overhangs is Deck 12.

023327.jpg

The image above gives a much clearer idea of how the overhang effects Deck 7, which is at the level of the blue line, just above the Dining Room Windows.

Hope that this helped-

Enjoy your cruise! :D

Thanks everyone for your input! I appreciate your taking the time to reassure me. Looks like we have a wonderful cabin and I'm very excited about our September 2nd trip. The first order of business will be to order a lounge chair. Perfect!!!!

Bon voyage to all on your future sailings.

Lois

Archived