Quest Christmas/NYE 2011 cruisers? Help please for 2012

Nigella

Can anyone who sailed on this cruise please let us know approx. how many children were on board? We are looking at the corresponding Caribbean cruise for 2012.

Also, can you tell us a little about how Christmas and New Year are celebrated on the Seabourn ships? We prefer it to be rather low key, although roast goose would be welcome! I have no objection to subtle decorations, poinsettia, Gingerbread houses etc around the ship, but would prefer the experience to be not too intense!

Nigella,

Frankly I was bracing myself for a gaggle of kids on our Quest Holiday cruise and was pleasantly surprised to find that there were exactly two childen under the age of 18 on board -- one the Staff Captain's 7-9 year old son and a delightful infant traveling a with an extended family from OZ.

Thank you Chairsin.

I shall keep my fingers, toes, everything crossed that the 2012 cruise turns out similarly! We were on Silversea for Christmas 2011 and there were probably 15 children on the cruise but apart from some excited running around on Christmas Day morning - understandable - they were all very well behaved.

Thank you also for your reply on the Pride thread about noise issues.

I know from previous posters regarding holiday cruises this was unusual. Hope you have the same luck we had -- love kids but not on Seabourn.As Capt GA of the Quest says " cross your fingers and to-ers."

I think what is important is not really the number of children but how well the ship is prepared for them. A Christmas cruise on the Voyager, had about 100 of many ages, but there was an organized program for all different ages. So while they were about the ship on scavenger hunts, etc, they were just enjoying themselves and not a bother at all. OTOH, Seabourn does not deal with children on an organized basis, although I think the larger ships have tried a bit. Certainly, there's nothing including a dumb pool on the little ships. If it's a port intensive itinerary, then kids are often busy onshore every day and then at night,can often set up with videos and pizzzas.

I have found the seasonaldecorations tasteful and not overdone.

Stamfordian ,

Oh I can see you are sharpening your wit in prep for the Trivia battle on your upcoming cruise. With so many sea days you shall have many opportunities to dazzle your fellow passengers!

Jane,

I am not sure what I was expeciting but frankly I thought the Christmas decorations were a bit sparse though I did think the boughs of pine swags( fake due to fire regs) on the deck railing with mesh sea creatures were quite attractive. On the otherhand, the tree in the restaurant foyer and the gingerbread house were a bit cheesy.I brought a small tree( also fake) with a strand of battery powered lights for our suite as well as a small wreath for our suite door. I was pleasantly surprised to see that many of my fellow passengers had placed something on their door as well.Nice touch!

You are right, they were not overdone, for sure. And the gingerbread house with nibble cookies was outside the lounge on 7 in the Spirit and needed replenishing and/or re-decorating. PIcked over as by some Christmas mice!

Archived