Does anybody else find the new Royal underwhelming?

littlesteelo

I think that Princess could have put so much more into this ship. I am not saying that it is a bad design by any stretch, and the things we have been shown look nice. However, all they have done is enlarged the Grand Class. If you take a look at the layout on the lower decks, it is practically the same. The same dining rooms, the same small theater, the same 3 deck atrium.

The upper decks in some areas have been improved, with a larger main pool area, but we have lost the terrace, which was a really nice space which could easily have been incorporated into the design. There is nothing on this ship which particularly grabs my attention and makes me want to book.

I think Carnival's newbuilding program is stagnating. There are no completely new designs. Royal is an enlarged Grand class, and I imagine, like the Grand class itself will be milked for all it's worth. The Dream class ships are yet another rehash of the damn Destiny class, P&O haven't seen a genuine new design for years, and are getting a Royal class ship, and Costa are getting a Dream class ship. There really isn't anything new or interesting here.

Contrast this with what RCI have done with their brands, with the Freedom/Oasis class ships and the beautiful Solstice class ships, it shows what can come out of designing something new from the keel up.

I don't understand all the Royal Princess hating going on. If it doesn't appeal to you, there's a very simple solution - don't book it! :rolleyes: There are 16 other Princess ships that may fit you better.

Maybe Princess is trying to take best practices from other cruise lines/ships to attract a different segment of the market who may have not considered Princess or cruising in the past. There's nothing wrong with that in my mind. Plus, there are obviously plenty of current Princess fans that have booked Royal already, so I don't think they're too concerned.

I like what I see. I would hate to see too many changes because I love the tried and tue Princess look. I probably won't be able to sail her for a long while, until prices come down a bit but I would love to.

From the limited reveals that I have been able to see of the Royal I think it is a pretty cool looking ship.

Kris

I don't understand all the Royal Princess hating going on. If it doesn't appeal to you, there's a very simple solution - don't book it! :rolleyes: There are 16 other Princess ships that may fit you better.

Maybe Princess is trying to take best practices from other cruise lines/ships to attract a different segment of the market who may have not considered Princess or cruising in the past. There's nothing wrong with that in my mind. Plus, there are obviously plenty of current Princess fans that have booked Royal already, so I don't think they're too concerned.

Whoa, I'm not hating at all. It seems like a very nice ship. What I am saying is that they have added very little over the Grand class. For a newbuild, it is quite underwhelming in my opinion. All they seem to have have done is expanded things from their previous ships, not adding anything new. As someone who primarily sails RCI, there is not anything on Royal which would make me book it over a Grand class ship. So if their aim is to attract a different segment of the market, it certainly hasn't been through the design of the ship.

They would have been better off transferring the Princess product and feel to a revolutionary new ship design, like what Celebrity did with the Solstice class.

Another factor might be the market that they are planning to use it for. Their planned itinerary's are the Grand Mediterranean and also the Caribbean, Basically the ones that the Ruby has been doing. The Ruby is being switched to the "Greek Isles" itinerary for 2013. They have not posted what the Ruby will be doing after that, although is is headed for Fort Lauderdale in November. The Royal is headed for Ft. Lauderdale in October and nothing after that has been announced. I can only assume that they will be using it on the most popular routes.

Have booked this new ship and very excited about it because have never been on a spanking new ship before.

There seems to be multiple Roll Calls for my cruise from Venice to FLL.

Cluster of folks all knowing one another having personal chats starting on different Roll Calls connected to the same sailing ......Confusing:confused: Correct.

P.S. I've given up posting because I don't know which one to post on.:confused:

Princess has said the Royal is "evolutionary" & not "revolutionary" which appears to be true. For me and many other passengers this is a good thing... they've taken a good design and improved upon it.

To say that it's the same three-story atrium is an understatement to say the least. I prefer the dignified Piazza design over other cruise lines were it's like you're in a shopping mall & a park. The new Princess ships won't contain everything that everybody wants however it contains more than enough for many of us who have eagerly booked a cruise on the new Royal Princess.

For anyone who has booked from the first day until now, the Royal is selling very well so we're not alone. I have no doubt that when Princess says "Opening the books on its 2013 Mediterranean season on March 15, sales for the new Royal Princess reached an all-time record for the most bookings of any ship's maiden season voyages" it is a true statement.

I like the idea that the Horizon Court will be doubled in size over the Grand Class ships which despite obviously more passengers on this 140,000 ton plus ship should mean less difficulty in finding a seat there during breakfast or luncheon. On the current Grand Class ships that can be a horrible situation.

That said, this "walkway thing" over the water seems like a totally lame idea!

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

Have booked this new ship and very excited about it because have never been on a spanking new ship before.

Cluster of folks all knowing one another having personal chats starting on different Roll Calls connected to the same sailing ......Confusing:confused: Correct.

I'm on this same cruise, and I don't know anyone in the 'we've cruised together before' group. Though there are a few who are booked on a cruise this year with me. So I'll get to meet them then. Now that I know about the various threads in the 'Red Hot Rubies' section, I use those as research to pick up ideas for our first ever Mediterranean and TransAtlantic. :)

Hi There

A lot depends what you want from a cruise,

I do not want a floating theme park, others may want this and there is nothing wrong with that,

but a cruise ships first job is to get me from port to port, I do not want a ship so big that I am limited in what ports I can go to,

after that I want a good level of service witha range of places to eat at and see shows , movies at etc to help pass the time.

new Royal appears to do all these so no issues.

yours shogun

I'm on this same cruise, and I don't know anyone in the 'we've cruised together before' group. Though there are a few who are booked on a cruise this year with me. So I'll get to meet them then. Now that I know about the various threads in the 'Red Hot Rubies' section, I use those as research to pick up ideas for our first ever Mediterranean and TransAtlantic. :)

The group on my trip are called 'The Rockin' Royals'

Hi Kruisey

I am on the TA but there is only one very large thread for this cruise,

does seem a bit odd that you have to go to the Red Hot Rubies to

get tours etc for the cruise.

yours Shogun

Here's my take on it. We have a grocery store in the neighborhood. It opened a few years ago and was declared a "prototype" store in that all of the other stores were going to be modeled after that design.

Same goes with the Royal. Princess has found a solid deck plan and intends to keep it as they remodel old ships and build new ones. In other words, they have found what they believe works well and they see no reason to radically alter it.

Although the Royal does have unique features (those sky walks, for example and the sectioned buffet).

Kruisey, please don't take it personally. Some of these people cruise the TA every year; I swear they're addicted. ;) I sailed on the 2011 TA and was very intimidated at first by all the "clubiness" for use of a better word on our roll call. :o However, I just waded in and started posting and in the process, met a wonderful group of people. You are going to have a great cruise.

The reason for the multiple threads is that when the RHR's kept talking after the cruise, CC gave us our own thread. So when a group of them decided to do the Royal TA, they opened their own roll call under the RHR main thread so as not to clutter up the main roll call with more personal stuff; that was a big complaint on our 2011 roll call.

I, for one, am intrigued by the new design and will book soon for July '13. Sure, there are things that make me say "huh?" (no expansion of Princess theater, no rear pool, the new MUTS location forward on Sports Deck??), but there are plenty of things I like about the new design - expanded Horizon Court with the new dessert room, the larger Piazza, the new deluxe balcony cabins, and the expanded pizza area with seating. I look forward to learning more.:D

Kruisey, please don't take it personally. Some of these people cruise the TA every year; I swear they're addicted. ;) I sailed on the 2011 TA and was very intimidated at first by all the "clubiness" for use of a better word on our roll call. :o However, I just waded in and started posting and in the process, met a wonderful group of people. You are going to have a great cruise.

The reason for the multiple threads is that when the RHR's kept talking after the cruise, CC gave us our own thread. So when a group of them decided to do the Royal TA, they opened their own roll call under the RHR main thread so as not to clutter up the main roll call with more personal stuff; that was a big complaint on our 2011 roll call.

When I am on the main thread i don't know how to get on all the other threads which seem to be attached unless someone references it on that thread.

There again one can post on one other thread and keep looking for the answer on the wrong thread attached to all the others.....:confused:

May I add I probably will know quite a few of the people on board .I cannot remember names and faces:o except one that everyone knows and that is PIA.Also the Maitre'd and Head Waiters I usually remember them through repetition(Bring me menu night before ,no salt diet):)

Please don't worry about not knowing anyone. These threads help us all get aquainted.

This will be out 5th Transatlantic sailing (3rd out of Venice). Yes, many folks know each other, but we' are all happy to meet new folks.

Personally I've learned so much from these Boards. Our hotel , Locanda Orseolo was picked based on reccommendation from others here.(we adore the place!)

Please join us on the TA thread, we all are happy to be onboard and welcome all to join in.

Even if you don't wish to join a tour there is much info shared.

We all started out as "newbies" and are now firends, so come on along !!!!

Aloha,

Bev

...As someone who primarily sails RCI, there is not anything on Royal which would make me book it over a Grand class ship. So if their aim is to attract a different segment of the market, it certainly hasn't been through the design of the ship....
Please don't take this in the wrong way, but I think there you have your answer. You are happily attracted to the RCI model and were looking for a more radical change to the Princess model. The number of Royal bookings would seem to indicate that Princess has pleased their target demographic (whatever that is) and they are happy with the new Royal. It simply may not be your cup of tea, but as alluded to by Shogun earlier, so are there people who wouldn't be caught dead on a ship with a rock wall. Fortunately, there are many ships and many models for all of us to choose from.:)

When I am on the main thread i don't know how to get on all the other threads which seem to be attached unless someone references it on that thread.

There again one can post on one other thread and keep looking for the answer on the wrong thread attached to all the others.....:confused:

May I add I probably will know quite a few of the people on board .I cannot remember names and faces:o except one that everyone knows and that is PIA.Also the Maitre'd and Head Waiters I usually remember them through repetition(Bring me menu night before ,no salt diet):)

Kruisey

This is the link to the main RHR board which includes the RHR (or whatever they are going to call themselves this time :rolleyes:) TA roll call; it has a lot of threads including their roll call, I haven't checked in for a while and it has grown LOL

For what its worth, once I have a thread I want to keep, like a roll call, I save it to my Favourites then move a shortcut to my desktop.

I hope this helps.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=786

Please don't take this in the wrong way, but I think there you have your answer. You are happily attracted to the RCI model and were looking for a more radical change to the Princess model. The number of Royal bookings would seem to indicate that Princess has pleased their target demographic (whatever that is) and they are happy with the new Royal. It simply may not be your cup of tea, but as alluded to by Shogun earlier, so are there people who wouldn't be caught dead on a ship with a rock wall. Fortunately, there are many ships and many models for all of us to choose from.:)

I agree with Cheryl (even though I wasn't asked). I am Elite on both Princess and Celebrity, and love both of them. On the other hand, we cruised last year on RCI, and found it less to our liking. The promenade focus vs the piazza didn't work for us. It seemed overcrowded, and pushed people inwards, rather than out on deck. So Princess, designing a new class, slightly larger than the Grand Class, appeals to me. I don't do the rock climbing, or surf rider, so won't miss that.

Different strokes for different folks. Happy cruising to all.

Stan

Please don't worry about not knowing anyone. These threads help us all get aquainted.

This will be out 5th Transatlantic sailing (3rd out of Venice). Yes, many folks know each other, but we' are all happy to meet new folks.

Personally I've learned so much from these Boards. Our hotel , Locanda Orseolo was picked based on reccommendation from others here.(we adore the place!)

Please join us on the TA thread, we all are happy to be onboard and welcome all to join in.

Even if you don't wish to join a tour there is much info shared.

We all started out as "newbies" and are now firends, so come on along !!!!

Aloha,

Bev

I'm already there, as well as the spreadsheet. :)

It's going to be so much fun! :)

I've subscribed to the actual roll call. As for all the other threads, I just click on Red Hot Rubies under the Friends of Cruise Critic forum, and then look at the info I'm interested in there. :)

Whoa, I'm not hating at all. It seems like a very nice ship. What I am saying is that they have added very little over the Grand class. For a newbuild, it is quite underwhelming in my opinion. All they seem to have have done is expanded things from their previous ships, not adding anything new. As someone who primarily sails RCI, there is not anything on Royal which would make me book it over a Grand class ship. So if their aim is to attract a different segment of the market, it certainly hasn't been through the design of the ship.

They would have been better off transferring the Princess product and feel to a revolutionary new ship design, like what Celebrity did with the Solstice class.

Princess has said the Royal is "evolutionary" & not "revolutionary" which appears to be true. For me and many other passengers this is a good thing... they've taken a good design and improved upon it.

To say that it's the same three-story atrium is an understatement to say the least. I prefer the dignified Piazza design over other cruise lines were it's like you're in a shopping mall & a park. The new Princess ships won't contain everything that everybody wants however it contains more than enough for many of us who have eagerly booked a cruise on the new Royal Princess.

For anyone who has booked from the first day until now, the Royal is selling very well so we're not alone. I have no doubt that when Princess says "Opening the books on its 2013 Mediterranean season on March 15, sales for the new Royal Princess reached an all-time record for the most bookings of any ship's maiden season voyages" it is a true statement.

Astro is quite correct. Princess' stated goal for the Royal Princess was an evolution to the Grand-class. Not something revolutionary. It seems that they have met that goal.

May I add I probably will know quite a few of the people on board .I cannot remember names and faces:o except one that everyone knows and that is PIA.Also the Maitre'd and Head Waiters I usually remember them through repetition(Bring me menu night befarore ,no salt diet):)

Hi all! If you bookmark the thread in my signature you will always be able to find our new forum for the Royal TA. Last year on the Ruby TA our roll call became so long that it was deleted a few months before our sailing and we had to start from scratch. This new forum is intended to make important information easy to find and prevent us from losing everything again. The main roll call is turning out to be a way to welcome new people and direct them to the new forum. Again, just click on the link in my signature and it will take you there. Easy peasy. :)

Archived