Warnemunde Train to Berlin

Hi Anni. I started reading your web site - very helpful. I might find answers to my questions in there if I read more, but in the mean time, I was wondering:

We (2 of us) are traveling on a weekend in August, and planning to purchase a Weekend ticket. If we should happen to find 3 more people on our cruise who want to join us, can they go with us on the same ticket, as long as they are traveling with us? Do we need to give names when we purchase the ticket? Do we need to purchase the ticket online in advance?

I believe you mentioned above that most ships didn't arrive on time. That has not been my experience on Marina or the line's other ships, but I've never been to Warnemunde before, so who knows? In any case, I was just wondering if it is likely our ship will be a little late, and what you based your information on!

I know that in Germany, some train passes include local transportation. Is that the case in Berlin? I suppose we'll just pay for the HOHO bus, but if our ticket includes any public transportation in Berlin, so much the better.

Would you happen to know if the lighthouse in Warnemunde is open for visits in the late evening? I would guess not, but I just thought I'd ask!

Thanks for your great site - and by the way, I love the picture collage!

We're taking the same Eurodam cruise right after yours is finished and are extremely interested in the train into Berlin. How can I get the same ticket you found?

I assume you were asking me about obtaining the Warnemunde to Berlin train ticket. Go to the DB Train site (in English) and click on ticketing. Follow the instructions. From/to/date/time/return date/time must be filled in. Next select which train you want. Reserve seats if you want. Then pay and print out at home.

Hi. I just thought of another question: Where can I find the schedule for the S-bahn from Warnemunde to Rostock? I know the trains leave fairly frequently, and I should allow about 40 minutes to get from the cruise ship onto a train, but when do they generally leave? This would be on a Sunday. I found something that I think stated that the first one on a Sunday was at 9:07AM. Does that sound right? Also, for DB trains, since the schedules, or at least the prices, aren't posted all that far in advance, is it reasonably safe to assume that schedules and prices will generally stay the same in another few months? I will be traveling in mid-August, and want to get an idea of how much it will cost. Also, can I assume the Great Weekend passes are NOT unlimited - in other words, that they are capacity controlled and if I wait until early August to purchase and use one it may not be available for the trains I want? Thanks.

Hi. I just thought of another question: Where can I find the schedule for the S-bahn from Warnemunde to Rostock? I know the trains leave fairly frequently, and I should allow about 40 minutes to get from the cruise ship onto a train, but when do they generally leave? This would be on a Sunday. I found something that I think stated that the first one on a Sunday was at 9:07AM. Does that sound right? Also, for DB trains, since the schedules, or at least the prices, aren't posted all that far in advance, is it reasonably safe to assume that schedules and prices will generally stay the same in another few months? I will be traveling in mid-August, and want to get an idea of how much it will cost. Also, can I assume the Great Weekend passes are NOT unlimited - in other words, that they are capacity controlled and if I wait until early August to purchase and use one it may not be available for the trains I want? Thanks.

Hi, thanks for your appreciation. The collage was made on Picasa, could not believe how easy it was. I will try and answer the questions on both posts at the same time

Weekend ticket - you do not need to purchase in advance or give names when you purchase so others can join you. If you happen to have six people (eg. two other couples want to join in) it is still cheaper to get 2 W/E tickets than 1 W/E ticket+1 standard.

Transport in Berlin - the W/E ticket covers all local transport in Berlin: U-bahn, S-bahn, bus and tram. It is possible to cover all the stops visited by the HOHO bus using one of these.

Sorry if I gave the impression that arriving late in Warnemunde was the norm. The time given is usually the time of actual arrival not the time of dis-embarkation and sometimes turning and docking the ship, depending on how many ships are arriving that day, can delay things a bit. It is just wisest not to cut it too fine when planning which train to catch. HAL is scheduled to arrive at 6am and the ICE to Berlin normally leaves at 6.58 but I personally would not buy a ticket in advance in case of delays and as you can see by previous posts there are schedule changes with the ICE this year.

The lighthouse is open from 10am to 7pm daily.

S-bahn from Warnemunde - the schedule is the same 7 days a week. Depart every 15 mins at :07, :22, :37, :52 mins past the hour. They actually start at 4am!!

DB schedules - these are set around February each year. Standard and Day Ticket fares are set at the same time and do not change but are only indicated on-line 92 days ahead when the limited special offers become available. Any alterations to the timetable are indicated at the same time. DB are very good about giving plenty of advance warning of disruptions and changes due to track work etc.

Weekend tickets cost 40euros for up to 5 people and are un-limited so you can buy at any time; on-line, from a machine, from a ticket office or on the train (slight extra cost). On Sunday the W/E ticket is also valid Warnemunde to Rostock before 9am and you can use it on any Regional (red) train, anytime, any where in Germany, no need to decide your schedule in advance; also valid on many city transport systems.

Fantastic deal!! Explains why I do not have a car.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thanks; excellent information. I was afraid I would have to purchase tickets in advance, and when you're on a cruise, that can back fire. It sounds like I can plan a short but better-than-nothing tour of Berlin highlights without spending an arm and a leg, which is great. I was in Berlin (west only) when I was a kid (father was in Foreign Service, stationed in Bonn), but my husband has never been there, so he (and I) want to go. We are fearless independent travelers, especially in Europe, where the public transportation is so great.

Marina is scheduled (per Oceania, not port site - who knows which will be correct) to be there from 8 to 11, so we should be good to go. I think Oceania Cruise Lines usually adds some time onto expected arrival time to come up with their itinerary times, because they're never late getting into a port. That may also explain why the port site shows a 7AM arrival and our itinerary shows 8AM. Yes, it takes a while for a ship to come in, get tied up, and cleared by the officials. In any case, we'll get off the ship as soon as possible, and use your directions to get to the bahnhof. I looked at it and the port on Google Earth, and it looks to be really easy. I speak a little German, so that is an extra bonus in making our way to, around, and back from Berlin.

As to Warnemunde, it looks charming. I probably won't be able to go to the lighthouse, but it looks like I will see it when we come into and out of the port, so that's good.

Thanks much for the very helpful info!

Guess I'll check out Picasa collage-making tomorrow. Time for bed...

We're taking the same Eurodam cruise right after yours is finished and are extremely interested in the train into Berlin. How can I get the same ticket you found?

Hi, please note that on your date of arrival in Warnemunde, July 2nd, the same schedule changes to the ICE apply, ie. it departs from Rostock Hbf at 6:24 making the connection with your ship impossible.

The alternative is the RE from Rostock. For times and most cost effective ticket prices please see my web site, Berlin and Tickets-DeutschesBahn pages.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Rostocker - Am I missing something? I'm on bahn.com and I know I had looked into the train from Warnemunde to Berlin previously and had no problems but now Warnemunde isn't even coming up as a train station..I see 11 stations beginning with a W and this isn't one of them! Sorry if I am missing something silly!

Regardless, I will be on HAL arriving 6am on Monday Aug 6. Do you know of disruptions for that date or can make any recommendations?

__

UPDATE: ok so now it's appearing in the stations after I did a different search for Kiel. Either way, if you wouldn't mind advising on service for that day, it would be greatly appreciated.

Rostocker - Am I missing something? I'm on bahn.com and I know I had looked into the train from Warnemunde to Berlin previously and had no problems but now Warnemunde isn't even coming up as a train station..I see 11 stations beginning with a W and this isn't one of them! Sorry if I am missing something silly!

Regardless, I will be on HAL arriving 6am on Monday Aug 6. Do you know of disruptions for that date or can make any recommendations?

__

UPDATE: ok so now it's appearing in the stations after I did a different search for Kiel. Either way, if you wouldn't mind advising on service for that day, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, Unfortunately the same change to the schedule is showing up for 6th August. The ICE departs from Rostock Hbf at 6:24 making it impossible to connect from your ship.

Although I use reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en I have checked through bahn.com and get exactly the same result. When the timetable comes up you will see a symbol (red square, white triangle, red line) beside the relevant train departure time. Click on that symbol and the changes to the schedule will appear at the bottom as Current Information on your Connection.

The alternative is the RE from Rostock. For times and most cost effective ticket prices please see my web site, Berlin and Tickets-DeutschesBahn pages.

I notice you mention Kiel. There has been a lot of discussion re Kiel on threads 'From Kiel Port to Lubeck on our own - how' and 'Live in Rostock/Warnemunde.... etc' which you may find of interest.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi, Unfortunately the same change to the schedule is showing up for 6th August. The ICE departs from Rostock Hbf at 6:24 making it impossible to connect from your ship.

Although I use reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en I have checked through bahn.com and get exactly the same result. When the timetable comes up you will see a symbol (red square, white triangle, red line) beside the relevant train departure time. Click on that symbol and the changes to the schedule will appear at the bottom as Current Information on your Connection.

I notice you mention Kiel. There has been a lot of discussion re Kiel on threads 'From Kiel Port to Lubeck on our own - how' and 'Live in Rostock/Warnemunde.... etc' which you may find of interest.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thanks for your help! I have been reading them :) I think we're leaning hamburg but do see the charm of lubeck.

last question - would you recommend just renting a car to drive to berlin since we have a small group and at least 2 of the 6 enjoy fast driving?

Thanks for your help! I have been reading them :) I think we're leaning hamburg but do see the charm of lubeck.

last question - would you recommend just renting a car to drive to berlin since we have a small group and at least 2 of the 6 enjoy fast driving?

Hi, Great idea. Most of the route is on unrestricted Autobahn so you should have a ball.

At least three car rental companies have pick-up facilities at the Warnemünde Cruise Terminal and web sites in English.

Hertz

http://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/car-...ermany/rostock

Europcar

http://www.europcar.com/car-rental-GERMANY-ROSTOCK.html

Sixt

http://www.sixt.com/car-rental/germany/rostock

Just a word of warning if you require an Automatic. Most cars in Germany have manual transmission and the hire companies only have a limited number of Automatics so you may need to book early.

Happy cruising (and driving) :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi, Great idea. Most of the route is on unrestricted Autobahn so you should have a ball.

At least three car rental companies have pick-up facilities at the Warnemünde Cruise Terminal and web sites in English.

Hertz

http://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/car-...ermany/rostock

Europcar

http://www.europcar.com/car-rental-GERMANY-ROSTOCK.html

Sixt

http://www.sixt.com/car-rental/germany/rostock

Just a word of warning if you require an Automatic. Most cars in Germany have manual transmission and the hire companies only have a limited number of Automatics so you may need to book early.

Thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...
But be aware that there are construction works in June to upgrade the line and enable the ICE to travel at the higher speeds which it cannot do at the moment. Trains are expected to be about 25mins late in both directions. This is official information from the DB web site.

Quite by accident I found that the DB timetable regarding the ICE from Warnemunde to Berlin had changed in the last two weeks.

Enquiries made at the DB Travel Office in Rostock reveal that:-

A glitch in the system meant that incorrect trackwork warnings were in place for the ICE Warnemunde to Berlin for the months of June, July and August

This has now been corrected and the present on-line timetables etc. will apply for the rest of the summer.

From June 1st.

ICE Departs Warnemunde 6:58 Mon - Fri, 9:01 Sat. No service Sun.

ICE Departs Berlin 18:13 Sun - Fri. No service Sat.

All the information which I post regarding Deutsche Bahn timetables and fares is obtained from the official Deutsche Bahn website in German,

www.bahn.de/p/view/index.shtml

and cross-checked with the English version,

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

This information is, to the best of my knowledge, correct at the time of posting on CC but I would strongly urge all passengers to check their travel plans on-line as near as possible to the date of travel using the English site quoted above. The updates on the US and UK sites sometimes lag behind a little.

I sincerely apologise for the confusion but I can only research and pass on the information which is published by DB.

Anni

No need to apologize, Anni! You are a great source of info, and while I'm not planning to take the ICE, as we'll be using the Schones Wochendes ticket (sorry - I think I spelled that wrong), it's good to know things are running on schedule this summer! I'll put in my notes to check the German DB site before we travel just to make sure the other trains are OK, as well.

Hi Anni. Would you be willing to venture a guess as to how long it might take to walk from where our cruise ship is docked (P8 if that makes any difference!) to the S-bahn (to Rostok) platform in the Warnemuende station? I am SO hoping to get off the ship right at 8:00 and still make the 8:07 train, although I know that's a bit iffy!

Also, just out of curiosity, DB lists another train station in Warnemueunde. Is that further out into the city, I assume?

Hi Anni. Would you be willing to venture a guess as to how long it might take to walk from where our cruise ship is docked (P8 if that makes any difference!) to the S-bahn (to Rostok) platform in the Warnemuende station? I am SO hoping to get off the ship right at 8:00 and still make the 8:07 train, although I know that's a bit iffy!

Also, just out of curiosity, DB lists another train station in Warnemueunde. Is that further out into the city, I assume?

Hi, I estimate at least 10 mins from P8. Although the pier is alongside the rail line you have to walk back to the underpass to get to the platform for Rostock. But if you are aiming for the 9:07 from Rostock you should still make it using the 8:22 from Warnemunde.

The other station is Warnemunde Shipyard, the next station towards Rostock.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

Thanks for the estimate of walking time! The more I looked at Google Earth, plus the location of berth P8 according to the port web site, the more I realized that it would be a real stretch to make it to the train station in 7 minutes! Therefore, it looks like we'll be shooting for the next train - unless, of course, we dock early, and the authorities are prompt (at least in Germany, everything seems to be prompt and efficient!!) and the cruise line decides to let us off the ship a little early! Then we might luck out and be able to catch the 8:07 S-bahn to Rostock, and then changing to Berlin. It's a fast trip compared to the next S-bahn/RE combo!

• 1 month later...
But be aware that there are construction works in June to upgrade the line and enable the ICE to travel at the higher speeds which it cannot do at the moment. Trains are expected to be about 25mins late in both directions. This is official information from the DB web site.

Hi everyone, further to the above information.

There will be major changes in both departure times and stations for the ICE during June, July and August. Some trains will depart 25mins early and some from Rostock Central station. There is no pattern to the changes, as gazetted they seem to vary from week to week.

So, if you are thinking of travelling on the ICE between Warnemunde and Berlin please let me have your dates and I will be happy to check the individual times etc. locally for you.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Anni,

We will be on HAL Eurodam arriving on July 12th in Warnemunde at 6:00 AM and the ship leaves at 10:00 PM. We want to take the train (DB BAHN) into Berlin. I looked at times that day and it looks like the departure time for ICE is 6:42 AM that day. Will we be able to make it? I'm also assuming we need to take the 4:22 PM departure time.

Thanks!

Yep, I was really disappointed to check on the trains we were hoping to take to and from Berlin. We dock in Warnemunde too late (8 AM) to catch the ICE on Sunday morning (Aug. 12), so the first train we'll probably be able to take is at 8:37 and takes 4 hours. The ICE in the late afternoon has been moved to later, takes a half hour longer (3 hours) and costs 10 euros more than when I checked it one or two weeks ago! It also now gets into Warnemunde at 9:30, and we have to be back on the ship by 10:30 for an 11:00 departure , which makes me a bit nervous. We'll be spending 7 hours on trains and 6 in Berlin. (Are we nuts?) If we take a non-ICE back, we'll spend 8 hours traveling, 5 hours in Berlin, and also get back at 9:30 - but at least the price is great for that trip! I am really bummed, but what can you do? I guess we'll still go. And now I'll shut up and quit complaining!

Question for you, Anni: Can I assume that since the ICE is now scheduled to take 3 hours between Berlin and Warnemunde, it's likely that it WILL take 3 hours and no more? Have you heard of any delays other than the ones that are obviously expected and factored into the schedules? I don't want to cut things too close in getting back to the ship as our next port is Ronne, Denmark, on the island of Bornholm. I hear ferries to Ronne are usually packed in August, so it wouldn't be an easy thing to go to Denmark and catch a ferry to Ronne! Also, I think you answered mentioned this before, but if not: If we take the RE train back to Rostock, there are no expected delays on that, right? (They don't use the same tracks, do they?)

Thanks again, Anni, for all your help!

• 3 weeks later...
why not just drive? It seems a lot more convenient, especially because of the summer track work. that's what we've decided.

I'm thinking of it, but haven't gotten as far as finding a car rental, etc. Also, I'd prefer to park on the outskirts of town and take the U bahn or S bahn in. Would you happen to know anything about car rentals from Warnemuende (location, cost, etc.), or Berlin parking?

I'm thinking of it, but haven't gotten as far as finding a car rental, etc. Also, I'd prefer to park on the outskirts of town and take the U bahn or S bahn in. Would you happen to know anything about car rentals from Warnemuende (location, cost, etc.), or Berlin parking?

Someone mentioned they did this on another thread. They just followed the signs for the Centrum, and ended up at Alexanderplatz. It's very near the communications tower, and on the U and S bahns. And they said it was an easy walk to any of the main sites. So they just parked the car for the day and walked or took subways around - which is what we plan to do.

As far as car rentals, we went with hertz right at the pier since hubby is gold and got a good deal but here are some links of others that also have pier locations. We had an issue with Sixt though because it was showing they closed at noon and didnt allow after hours drop offs on their site (but I've read here that others have used them)

Hertz: http://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/car-...ermany/rostock

Europcar: http://www.europcar.com/car-rental-GERMANY-ROSTOCK.html

Sixt: http://www.sixt.com/car-rental/germany/rostock

Doing this is definitely cheaper than the train and is going to be faster.

Thank you very much; very helpful. I know where Alexanderplatz is - very central, and great transportation there, so it could work, especially if there are signs to direct us there! I will also look for some location by an S-bahn that is farther out, just to lessen the big-city driving. (Berlin is so huge).Yesterday I looked at Sixt, and it looks like I would have to rent from Warnemuende at the pier but then return the car to the Rostock train station. That wouldn't be a huge deal as there is the S-bahn from Rostock, but the return times were very restrictive even there, as it is a Sunday.

I'll try the other companies. My husband isn't crazy about driving two days in a row (we're renting a car in Roenne, as most of what we want to do is out and about on the island, and the excursion costs a fortune) so it will be a bit tiring/stressful for a couple days. However, maybe I can do most of the driving and he can relax/sleep.

Anyway, thank you!

.Yesterday I looked at Sixt, and it looks like I would have to rent from Warnemuende at the pier but then return the car to the Rostock train station. That wouldn't be a huge deal as there is the S-bahn from Rostock, but the return times were very restrictive even there, as it is a Sunday. I'll try the other companies. Anyway, thank you!

No problem! For us, Hertz wound up being the cheapest, with the return time not being a problem at all (I think they had the biggest window of times), and they are located right at the pier. Good luck!!

• 8 months later...
No problem! For us, Hertz wound up being the cheapest, with the return time not being a problem at all (I think they had the biggest window of times), and they are located right at the pier. Good luck!!

I just saw this thread and was wondering how it was renting from Hertz and driving into Berlin. Since there are four of us and the cost for the rental is 40 Euros it seemed easier.

I am not the last person who posted (the person who rented from Hertz) but we ended up renting and driving, so I thought I'd comment. We rented a car in Warnemunde in August from Europcar. The car was great (modern Mercedes) and it was parked right across from the port terminal, with the agent inside. I got great directions from viamichelin.com before I left home, and followed them to one of the suburban stations on the commuter train line. (Sorry, I've forgotten a lot already, but I think I still have my notes if you'd like me to check them for more details.) Driving was easy, and the traffic was light, although it was a Sunday, which might have accounted for that. We did not drive all the way into downtown Berlin, but instead stopped at a town/station we had identified before we left. We had a little trouble finding the train station (it was small) but once there, we parked (free, close by) and bought tickets for the S-bahn from a ticket dispenser near the tracks. On week days, and maybe Saturdays, they have an attendant at a kiosk, but not on Sunday. It was a short ride to the stop we had chosen in Berlin (near Nordbahnhof U-bahn station, I think) and then after staying in the city for maybe 3-4 hours, we went back. We could have stayed longer but my husband was tired by then. Finding gas on the way back was easy, and we returned the car with no problems. We ate while on the way back, in a gas station - actually decent food, surprisingly! My husband went back to the ship to relax and I went to walk in Warnemunde as the sun was setting. SO - I got to see a little of Berlin AND Warnemunde! Reichstag dome, by the way, is worth seeing - but you must book tickets (free) online before you go.

Some pictures are on my photo site: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123 - look for the first "Baltic" gallery. The second Baltic may have pictures, too - I forget!

The car was great and my husband loved driving on the autobahn. The car came with a GPS (no charge), but we had a little trouble figuring out how to use it. If you rent, and have a GPS, you might want to ask for a short demo! We thought renting a car was fun and easy, but we have done it in many other places, plus I know a little German, so for us it was easy. I suppose, however, that taking the train would be a little less stressful, and if you go on a Sunday, you can get a special rate on the train that is great for a group of up to 5 people.

I forget how long it took us to get to Berlin, but I'm thinking it was somewhere between 2 1/2 hours to 3 hours (tops) from car rental agent to Nordbahnhof station in Berlin. If you rent, you may want to post back here to ask for additional info, as I might still have some stuff that would help you.

Archived