Pet Peeves

SewMuch

Lol...autocorrect. That should read sundresses and cowboy boots.

Now THAT sounds hot and unpleasant! Cowboy boots and a sundress? Why?

Seriously, sundresses can be cool, or they can be miserable nightmares, it all depends on the material of the dress(like clothes in general). The ones in breathable fabric(cotton blends, etc) or jersey can be lovely and cool, but the synthetic stuff can be a nightmare.

As for the Uggs, sheepskin is supposed to keep feet cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I've never been a fan of the original Uggs so I'm not buying it(they have some styles that are quite nice and don't chop off the legline in an unattractive fashion like the commonly worn ones).

I always thought Uggs were originally from Australia, to keep surfers feet warm after getting out of the ocean.

Around here we see Uggs worn with short shorts in the middle of summer. And, not being worn by surfers getting out of the ocean. On the other hand, I also see women on the coldest days of winter (granted not much lower than the mid 50's) wearing jeans with huge rips (designed that way) and cropped jackets or sweaters. I wonder why the perception of fashion means more than being dressed for the weather. Makes me feel old.

I always thought Uggs were originally from Australia, to keep surfers feet warm after getting out of the ocean.

Around here we see Uggs worn with short shorts in the middle of summer. And, not being worn by surfers getting out of the ocean. On the other hand, I also see women on the coldest days of winter (granted not much lower than the mid 50's) wearing jeans with huge rips (designed that way) and cropped jackets or sweaters. I wonder why the perception of fashion means more than being dressed for the weather. Makes me feel old.

I've also seen them in flip flops in winter. So it seems one should wear Uggs in the summer ansd flip flops in the winter.:confused:

The flip flops were not just on the young.

Uggs are from Australia. The feet cooling in the summer and warming in the winter was the explanation given to me when I asked about the wisdom of wearing sheepskin lined suede boots in 99 degree summer weather in the city(with 90% humidity on top of that) not the beach apres surfing. It's not a perception of fashion meaning more than being dressed properly, it's a mindless following of trend by people believing they are expressing themselves in a unique way, instead they look like everyone else(in the case of ripped jeans and cropped jackets/sweaters, the image is allegedly sexy and carefree, when in reality it's pretty darn cold if not done properly<lol>).

Full disclosure: I wore ripped jeans and cropped sweaters as a cute, trendy teen during winter in college in the late 80's(yep, some things never change), but I was smart enough to layer leggings or heavy tights under the ripped jeans, and a long sleeved, thermal shirt under the cropped sweater(as well as a warm coat!) and looked cute and kept warm.

Hi I am from Oz. Most people here wear ugg boots or uggies in winter with jeans, never seen anyone at the beach wear them and in summer most of us wear thongs or flip flops as you guys call them, there are so many pretty thongs you can buy, I have so many I've lost count :)

I've also seen them in flip flops in winter. So it seems one should wear Uggs in the summer ansd flip flops in the winter.:confused:

The flip flops were not just on the young.

In Florida we wear flip flops every day of the year.

Then again, our seasons are:

Lovebug season, hurricane season, summer and tourist season :)

I keep hearing about this "winter" thing but I am not convinced it really exists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovebug season, hurricane season, summer and tourist season :)

I keep hearing about this "winter" thing but I am not convinced it really exists.

Guess it depends where in Florida you live:). I am up in Jacksonville

and we get our share of winter.....if you recall the winters of 2010

and 2011 were record breakers:eek: (around the whole country)....

this year was much warmer.......I wear sandals ALOT of the year:)

but during Jan/Feb I also wear closed toes...clogs and mules?

I love them:D

The winter you experience in Jacksonville is not a real winter :)

Hi, well, I see you are in Chicago...so I agree we don't have the same

winters:eek:

BTW, it has gone into the 20s here every winter.....so I do consider

that COLD;)

Don't you need snow over Scottie Pippen's head to delay school there in Chicago? I can't imagine living somewhere that doesn't have snow, it's the best time of the year...no allergies!

Don't you need snow over Scottie Pippen's head to delay school there in Chicago? I can't imagine living somewhere that doesn't have snow, it's the best time of the year...no allergies!

I have lived here since I am 7 years old so it is basically all of my life.

(I am 54)...we all live where we live:)..I can't imagine living somwhere

where I need to buy parkas and chains for snow tires;)

I have lived here since I am 7 years old so it is basically all of my life.

(I am 54)...we all live where we live:)..I can't imagine living somwhere

where I need to buy parkas and chains for snow tires;)

Yes, the 20s is cold. Thing is, it only lasts a week or two by you, not 6 months like here! This past winter wasn't so bad, but since moving back from Atlanta 8 years ago, I swear at myself every year during winter...wth was I thinking when I moved back here?! My tolerance for the cold seems to lessen each year, too.

Yes, the 20s is cold. Thing is, it only lasts a week or two by you, not 6 months like here! This past winter wasn't so bad, but since moving back from Atlanta 8 years ago, I swear at myself every year during winter...wth was I thinking when I moved back here?! My tolerance for the cold seems to lessen each year, too.

Not sure how we got on this topic....not a peeve that is for sure;)

We all live where we live:D

Not sure how we got on this topic....not a peeve that is for sure;)

We all live where we live:D

Lol..yeah this thread has had a few diversions :D

Back to pet peeves...I'm going to repeat the exposed bra strap thing. Nothing ruins the look of an outfit quicker. There are soooo many bra styles out there that there's no excuse for showing the bra. And if you can't find a bra, don't wear the top/dress. Especially painful are the low back/backless dresses that have a regular bra strap showing across the back!

Since you bring up bra straps - I had been thinking of posting a new question but I'll ask here - what do you wear with a boatneck top? I don't usually buy them because my bra straps will always show (and a strapless bra seems odd - esp for me since I hate them and they don't support my large chest much anyway - even the "good" and/or expensive ones) I bought a cute white t-shirt on sale and it has a boat-ish neck top - I end up just trying to push my bra straps over toward the edge of my shoulders so they don't show. But I'm back to my rule of never buying boatneck tops:rolleyes:

I'm with you..I live in between Miami and the Palm Beaches and when it dips into the 60's and below, it is very common to see locals here wearing boots, shoes and socks, and gasp..PANTYHOSE and tights. To someone who is accustomed to it being warm, it can feel like the arctic where as to people who are used to living where it's cold, it can feel like a heat wave.

We always joke and you can tell who the tourists are during the winter season because they are usually the ones with the tans, summer clothes and sandals while the rest of us are freezing and bundled up..LOL..I would say that I probably wear flip flops maybe 50% of the time between November and February. I know the last couple winters it even got down into the 20's and the high was only in the 50's a few days. I wore a full length wool dress one day with black boots I was so cold.

This could sorta fall into the pet peeve category..I've seen this before when I've had to travel to colder climates for business..wearing a dress with no hose or tights when it's snowing out?? Yes, really..and I've seen it more than once.

Since you bring up bra straps - I had been thinking of posting a new question but I'll ask here - what do you wear with a boatneck top? I don't usually buy them because my bra straps will always show (and a strapless bra seems odd - esp for me since I hate them and they don't support my large chest much anyway - even the "good" and/or expensive ones) I bought a cute white t-shirt on sale and it has a boat-ish neck top - I end up just trying to push my bra straps over toward the edge of my shoulders so they don't show. But I'm back to my rule of never buying boatneck tops:rolleyes:

Good question and I don't have a good answer. If I were to wear a boatneck top, I'd wear a strapless, but I'm a C cup. I generally stay away from that style though.

I wish I had a life experience answer for you, because I don't wear boatneck tops due to broad shoulders and an ample bust(not a good look). The only solutions I can think of would be to get the strapless bra that come with clear straps or the type that have multiple strap placement(many places to hook the straps along the bra so you can make them wide or close set on your shoulders), or try to find a bra that's close to your skin tone so the straps are not so obvious.

There's a product that helps hold the straps plus looks good if the back of the dress is low. They even come in larger sizes for those of us with broader backs or bigger chests. Lots of styles and colors; with or without the charms to attach. (One with a champagne glass or sunglasses would be cute for a cruise but there are many charms) Put one on and forget about the straps moving.

http://brastrapslide.com/

I just avoid boatnecks, for me because my shoulders are narrow and the neck would probably end up at my elbow. Even some regular tops that are wider across the chest opening don't work.

If I had to, I'd pin the straps, though I think that's uncomfortable too.

I have a bra clip- doesn't do anything to move the straps in the proper direction for a boatneck. Nor would a racer back. And straps in the shoulders are great to keep straps corralled for lots of tops- I use them in sleeveless dresses all the time. But they won't work with this specific top because of the fabric overlap at the shoulder seam. Ah well. My nude straps just might be seen on occasion if I ever wear the shirt out of the house again :rolleyes:

Lovebug season, hurricane season, summer and tourist season.

The US, and other parts of the world, extend beyond the warm weather in Florida. :p If you don't think it really exists, try telling that to DH when he's in the midst of shoveling for the umpteenth time.:D And yes, I've seen people in flip flops with this much snow on the ground.

IMG_4649.jpgIMG_4636.jpgIMG_4640.jpg

........now back to our regular scheduled program.:D

Archived